Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OMG --- We are going! HEEAALLLPPP! (Vancouver to Anaheim drive)

hello fellow Vancouverite!

This is what we have done. We leave in the morning, stop in the afternoon at the outlet mall in Oregon right off the I-5. We get to browse the stores and get to stretch our legs for longer then 10 mins. There is also a subway there so we can grab lunch. Then we head to Yreka for the night (its a 10 hour day there) . we stay at the best western there. Pretty good price. Get up in the morning and hit the road. last time we stopped at a walmart for a 30 min break. Shopped a bit and grabbed a chicken meal for the road for lunch. Now this is the best part for me. Our final stop for the day is in Buttonwillow (it's 7.5 hours there). there is a best western there that was $75 for the night. Before the hotel is a restaurant called willowranch BBQ. I highly recommend stopping there for dinner. I think about that Tri tip dinner every day! . then we get up in the morning and again hit the road. It's a 2 hour drive into Santa Clarita, which is right before LA. We stopped there last time, grabbed some lunch and then headed to Griffith Observatory for a couple hours before we headed to the hotel. That way the longest part of the drive is the first day. Which I recommend, because by the second day we're all sick of the drive! And it was cheaper to stop in Buttonwillow then drive into Anaheim and just get a hotel room to sleep in for the night. Plus you aren't driving as much those 2 days. And I second the comment about the trip home just plain SUCKS! I've done the road trip to So Cal 8 times now (I flew once). and This is the itinerary we plan on taking again (hopefully this summer). What ever itinerary you decide, enjoy and have fun!

• Minion

Woodburn is the location of the Outlet mall. It is rather long than square. jack in the box fast food, but the best price for gas is in Salem, portland road exit (fairgrounds) west for a short mile, arco gas station on the left, why they will even pump the gas for you before you pay. There is a jack in the box, you pass it on the way to the gas station. Oh, do not buy gas in lane county, most expensive in the state because of the transit tax. Actually, Eugene area is very difficult to access from the freeway.

oh and of course.....no tax in Oregon if you buy anything!

I'm super excited for you! We just moved to Seattle from SoCal and did the drive so I have a great hotel suggestion for you: the Best Western Hilltop Inn, in Redding, CA. We stopped there on the drive up because it had great Yelp reviews and was just off the 5. We really loved it. The rooms were comfy, it was quiet, it had a yummy restaurant connected to it and had a free breakfast buffet in the morning. They do AAA discount and military discounts too (even though my husband got out back in '06). I highly suggest this hotel for your trip.
    Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    amazing picture :d
    x2!

• Done with MC.

A few years ago we made the drive. We got up at 1:00 AM and left our house in Bothell Wa. and I drove all night. It was great! There was almost nobody on the road (actually got to use my high beams!) and I was able to cruise at a um, "slightly" higher speeds. When we got near Grape Vine I got tired and turned it over to my DW who had slept most of the time and was fresh for the last hectic part of the drive.
    We pulled into our hotel across form DLR at 6:30 PM.

• Minion

Scott,what time of the year did you travel?

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Scott,what time of the year did you travel?
    It was late Oct.
    Traffic was pretty light and we only hit rain in Wa. (naturally).

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Woodburn is the location of the Outlet mall. It is rather long than square. jack in the box fast food, but the best price for gas is in Salem, portland road exit (fairgrounds) west for a short mile, arco gas station on the left, why they will even pump the gas for you before you pay. There is a jack in the box, you pass it on the way to the gas station. Oh, do not buy gas in lane county, most expensive in the state because of the transit tax. Actually, Eugene area is very difficult to access from the freeway.
    Does anyone else hate Woodburn's sign. It shines with the light of a thousand suns. Sorry for the derail, I'm from Portland and go to OSU so I have done one too many late sunday night drives past there and always get blinded by the sign.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Ha! you are correct. Just pulled the route from Google maps and it is roughly 22 hours, vs Vancouver's 19. Not bad at all. I'll gladly take my 3 hour flight though
    As would I. Well the travel time for me is closer to 8 hours once the drive to the airport, and connection in Seattle is accounted for. (I live closer to Bellingham airport, and its way way cheaper, so I never take non-stops from Vancouver).

I find flying cheaper, no way I could drive round trip for 220 (ticket price for next trip) when gas, hotels, and food is accounted for on the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I find flying cheaper, no way I could drive round trip for 220 (ticket price for next trip) when gas, hotels, and food is accounted for on the drive.
    Agreed... although we do a 'road trip' every summer, the truth is that, we can fly out of Seattle for WAYYY cheaper than it costs to drive down. Takes a couple hours to get down to Seattle airport, but a flight from SEA to LGB (Long Beach Airport) is typically under $200.00 return. We are flying down on May 1st, and the return flight is $149.00

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    Agreed... although we do a 'road trip' every summer, the truth is that, we can fly out of Seattle for WAYYY cheaper than it costs to drive down. Takes a couple hours to get down to Seattle airport, but a flight from SEA to LGB (Long Beach Airport) is typically under $200.00 return. We are flying down on May 1st, and the return flight is $149.00

I am too lazy to make the drive to Seattle....I'll pay a bit more and fly to Seattle from Bellingham and connect... I always fly into San Diego as I always make it a family visit as well, so I pay a bit of a premium over the LA area airports, but still a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by matman730 View Post
    If you do take Jimmy Dee's advice and stay in Santa Nella, I strongly recommend you make the short drive into Solvang for aebleskiver breakfast at the Solvang Restaurant. I know there's a complimentary buffet at the Best Western, but you can't stay that close to Solvang without trying aebleskiver. Besides, your kids' minds will be blown by spherical pancakes, in a town reminiscent of Copenhagen/Fantasyland.
    You're thinking of Buellton / Solvang (which is where the other Pea Soup Andersen's is).

The one I am referring to, is in Santa Nella (on the I-5), which is 3.5 hours away from Solvang...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    So we booked through hotels.com and got a great deal at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites. Not right across the street like the Carousel or Tropicana but we are averaging less than 100 a night where other places like the Menage are at over 200.

Anyway... I digress.... (Sorry, just excited)

2 Questions:

We are driving from Vancouver to Anaheim.

Does anyone recommend a nice hotel in Northern California or Southern Oregon. We plan to drive 12 hours the first day to we will still be 7 or 8 hours away when we need a place to stay. Cheap and Clean is all we need. We will most likely only be there for 5 or 6 hours.

At first we thought we would rough it and sleep in an overnight rest stop but we have been told these are not safe.

We took a trip from SoCal up to Seattle a few summers ago. We took three days each way, stopping at various parks and sites.
    We found a few locally owned places that were wonderful.
    I have no idea where they were. I'll have to do some research.
    OK, I don't have records of the ones I want to give you.

So, find out where 11-13 hours will be from Vancouver. That's, with no stops, at least 800 miles. So, that's about in Redding, CA. So, find a nice place in Redding.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    You're thinking of Buellton / Solvang (which is where the other Pea Soup Andersen's is).

The one I am referring to, is in Santa Nella (on the I-5), which is 3.5 hours away from Solvang...
    Doh! You're right. Staying at Pea Soup Andersen's and eating breakfast in Solvang has become such a tradition in my family when traveling down to the Southland that I forget the other one even exists. (I-5? What's that? )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast