Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile OMG --- We are going! HEEAALLLPPP! (Vancouver to Anaheim drive)

So we booked through hotels.com and got a great deal at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites. Not right across the street like the Carousel or Tropicana but we are averaging less than 100 a night where other places like the Menage are at over 200.

Anyway... I digress.... (Sorry, just excited)

2 Questions:

We are driving from Vancouver to Anaheim.

Does anyone recommend a nice hotel in Northern California or Southern Oregon. We plan to drive 12 hours the first day to we will still be 7 or 8 hours away when we need a place to stay. Cheap and Clean is all we need. We will most likely only be there for 5 or 6 hours.

At first we thought we would rough it and sleep in an overnight rest stop but we have been told these are not safe.

Second Question:

This is out 8th family trip to the big D and we recall once getting a free shuttle from Disneyland to a parking lot behind the Gardenwalk. Do they still offer this? If so... where? I am disabled and could use the help at the day's end to get back to the Plaza Hotel and Suites.

Thank you All!

Re: OMG --- We are going! HEEAALLLPPP! (Vancouver to Anaheim drive)

Good choice not sleeping at rest stops, they can be a little freaky at night...I try to avoid them after dark.

Have you looked into Amtrak at all? Sometimes they come in cheaper then driving (obviously depends on how many are going) once you account gas and lodging round trip if you can catch a sale, 30 something ish hours Seattle to LA, then a short trip to Anaheim on a connector train. You can start in Vancouver, Amtrak provides connecting coach service to the Seattle-LA train.

What towns are you thinking of spending the night in? I'd just bid a price on priceline for a town you can make in about 12 hours, stick with a chain, and you'll be okay, just avoid Motel 6....lol

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

That is an excellent idea. The reason for the drive is that we just got a new Ford Edge fully loaded with satellite radio and a complete moon roof. I really want to drive!

Disney Road

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    That is an excellent idea. The reason for the drive is that we just got a new Ford Edge fully loaded with satellite radio and a complete moon roof. I really want to drive!
    As would I in that case

• Selfie Expert

I have a Ford Edge Sport! LOVE that car!! We've put so many miles on it with Disneyland road trips lol

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

What will your drive time be from BC to Portland? What time are you leaving BC? What time do you arrive in Seattle? What are your dates? I live in oregon and can give you insights.

I can't help you with the second part (the shuttle), but as a fellow Vancouverite, with two kids, who drives down every summer... I can lend some expertise.

The drive can be done in two days, but they are wicked long days, and I guarantee your back will be sore, and your patience will be tested... I'd recommend not making a 'driving marathon' out of it, and divide the driving over three days. It's much more enjoyable, and more safe (especially with kids):

Day 1: Drive from Vancouver to Roseburg, Oregon. It's a 9 hour driving day, with a stop for lunch and a few pee breaks. Stay at the Best Western Garden Villa Inn. It's right beside the I5. Clean, and affordable. If you stay in Roseburg, make sure you have dinner at Casey's Restaurant! It's a 'mom and pop' diner, that serves AMAZING home cooked food. There is also a Safeway near the Best Western, with a Starbucks inside (which is important first thing in the morning). Roseburg is about two hours this side of the California border.

Day 2: Leave Starbucks (I mean Roseburg), and drive to Santa Nella, California. Another 9 hour driving day. Stay at Andersen's Best Western. Another clean affordable place, with a fantastic pool! Plus, there is a Pea Soup Andersen's restaurant, right beside, with the most amazing food! Both of the Best Westerns have a complimentary buffet breakfast in the morning, and it's pretty good. If you need a Starbucks this morning, there is one on the other side of the I5. Leave the hotel, cross over the I5, and drive a few blocks, you'll see it on the left.

Day 3: Kids will be climbing the walls with excitement (so will you). Leave Santa Nella and drive to Anaheim. It's about a 5 hour driving day. We typically roll into Anaheim around 1:00 in the afternoon. Have some lunch in Anaheim. Everyone will be excited, and want to get to the park right away, but you can't check into your hotel until 3:00 anyways, so you might as well get the 'house keeping' out of the way. Spend an hour at Target or Wal-Mart and get groceries for the week. By this time, the hotel will be ready for you, check-in, and you're good to go!

COMING HOME (since this is the 'downer' part of the trip, I'll be less detailed):

Drive from Anaheim to Red Bluff, California. 9 hours. Stay at the Hampton Inn. It's clean, affordable, and has free buffet breakfast. There's a Starbucks about half a block away.

Drive from Red Bluff to Portland, Oregon. 9 hours. We've stayed at a few different places in Portland, and last summer we discovered Washington Square Shopping Mall (my wife likes shopping), so we are going to stay somewhere close to that mall. Even if you don't like shopping, I'd recommend going to this mall, because it has a Cheesecake Factory restaurant in it! mmmm....

Good luck with the trip. When are you going?

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    I can't help you with the second part (the shuttle), but as a fellow Vancouverite, with two kids, who drives down every summer... I can lend some expertise.

The drive can be done in two days, but they are wicked long days, and I guarantee your back will be sore, and your patience will be tested... I'd recommend not making a 'driving marathon' out of it, and divide the driving over three days. It's much more enjoyable, and more safe (especially with kids):

Day 1: Drive from Vancouver to Roseburg, Oregon. It's a 9 hour driving day, with a stop for lunch and a few pee breaks. Stay at the Best Western Garden Villa Inn. It's right beside the I5. Clean, and affordable. If you stay in Roseburg, make sure you have dinner at Casey's Restaurant! It's a 'mom and pop' diner, that serves AMAZING home cooked food. There is also a Safeway near the Best Western, with a Starbucks inside (which is important first thing in the morning). Roseburg is about two hours this side of the California border.

Day 2: Leave Starbucks (I mean Roseburg), and drive to Santa Nella, California. Another 9 hour driving day. Stay at Andersen's Best Western. Another clean affordable place, with a fantastic pool! Plus, there is a Pea Soup Andersen's restaurant, right beside, with the most amazing food! Both of the Best Westerns have a complimentary buffet breakfast in the morning, and it's pretty good. If you need a Starbucks this morning, there is one on the other side of the I5. Leave the hotel, cross over the I5, and drive a few blocks, you'll see it on the left.

Day 3: Kids will be climbing the walls with excitement (so will you). Leave Santa Nella and drive to Anaheim. It's about a 5 hour driving day. We typically roll into Anaheim around 1:00 in the afternoon. Have some lunch in Anaheim. Everyone will be excited, and want to get to the park right away, but you can't check into your hotel until 3:00 anyways, so you might as well get the 'house keeping' out of the way. Spend an hour at Target or Wal-Mart and get groceries for the week. By this time, the hotel will be ready for you, check-in, and you're good to go!

COMING HOME (since this is the 'downer' part of the trip, I'll be less detailed):

Drive from Anaheim to Red Bluff, California. 9 hours. Stay at the Hampton Inn. It's clean, affordable, and has free buffet breakfast. There's a Starbucks about half a block away.

Drive from Red Bluff to Portland, Oregon. 9 hours. We've stayed at a few different places in Portland, and last summer we discovered Washington Square Shopping Mall (my wife likes shopping), so we are going to stay somewhere close to that mall. Even if you don't like shopping, I'd recommend going to this mall, because it has a Cheesecake Factory restaurant in it! mmmm....

Good luck with the trip. When are you going?
    What great advice! I can't imagine drving from Vancouver, much less Calgary, but still... it could be a fun adventure.

• Under that tree again!

From the Anaheim Plaza there is a shuttle, not free but for a few bucks, called Anaheim Resort Transport.

What you may want to do is rent a scooter from next door at the Ramada. Of course they can deliver the scooter to your hotel also.

Walk wise you are about 7 minutes from the gate. Cross the street at the corner of the hotel to the parks side. The sidewalk is quieter and nicer.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    What great advice! I can't imagine drving from Vancouver, much less Calgary, but still... it could be a fun adventure.
    If you can take the time to make it into a road trip as well, it would not be so bad. Calgary is only what like 500km further then Vancouver is roughly, that's what google say's anyhow.

Theres a lot of nice and cheaper hotels in Sacramento. It's about 7 hours or less to Disneyland

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    If you can take the time to make it into a road trip as well, it would not be so bad. Calgary is only what like 500km further then Vancouver is roughly, that's what google say's anyhow.

Ha! you are correct. Just pulled the route from Google maps and it is roughly 22 hours, vs Vancouver's 19. Not bad at all. I'll gladly take my 3 hour flight though

Jimmy Dee is right on!! His lodging choices are easy on and off on the freeway and those two nights on the road will be great investments for a rested Disneyland visit. But if you are intent on 12 hours, then Redding is your choice, just make sure find lodging on the freeway and not in town, make sure you goggle map your Redding choice to what easy freeway access really means.

Here is another reason i agree with him. Freeway driving between BC and Eugene is awful. Not sure of your handicap, but if you are thinking cruise control, then think again. The only driving at 70mph with cruise is between BC and Everett, North of Longview to north of Vancouver and all points south of Eugene. left hand lane freeway driving has become so bad in Oregon that we either have a law now for that driving infraction or soon to become law. Salem to Eugene is a two lane freeway and the left lane driving is horrible, it has become a strategical skill of traveling at 74 mph until you reach a 10 car back up in the left lane, slow down to 60 mph and wait for the car to leave the left lane, (if they do leave) and then speed up to the next car blocking in the left lane.

• Lurker

If you do take Jimmy Dee's advice and stay in Santa Nella, I strongly recommend you make the short drive into Solvang for aebleskiver breakfast at the Solvang Restaurant. I know there's a complimentary buffet at the Best Western, but you can't stay that close to Solvang without trying aebleskiver. Besides, your kids' minds will be blown by spherical pancakes, in a town reminiscent of Copenhagen/Fantasyland.

• Vidia's Minion

Name:  293125_10150276809487175_5924836_n.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  36.1 KB

amazing picture

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast