Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    96

    Question September or January?

    I'm sure that this topic has been exhausted on here, but I thought I'd start a fresh question (because I'm selfish and lazy? lol)

    We have taken our young kids to DL twice: July 2010 and January 2013. We're planning our next visit, and can't make a decision. They will be 5 and 7 soon.

    We're mostly leaning towards January right after NAMM. Husband works at NAMM every year, and the week right after seems to have the light crowds and mild weather we love. We just walked on every attraction last year with no wait, so we got to do so much during our stay, with no stress. Of course, there were some attraction closures (Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, Splash Mtn, Grizzly River, Small World, and Tea cups later in the week), but with so much to do, who cares?! We had an absolute blast! I'd say the biggest disappointment was when we were just getting warmed up, and the park closed at 8. Didn't like the lack of Disney Night life too much! I'll take lighter crowds over extended hours any day, though.

    Having said that, can you tell me if there would be a big difference visiting in September this time? Is the park still open later, or has it switched to reduced hours by then? Also, what's the likelihood of major attractions being closed? (don't care for submarines at all) Will we enjoy the benefit of warmer early fall weather with lighter crowds and later park hours, or should we stick with our plan for last week of January?

    One more question: Seems that hotels are trying to increase their prices without us noticing, but I noticed We're usually loyal to HoJo because of the large kids suite, water park, and walkability. (we used the water park in January very successfully) Well, HoJo is now expendable. So, lets hear some suggestions! Resort hotels are too pricey for 5 nights (unless you honestly think they're massively better, which I doubt. Amenities will be more plentiful, but we're there to sleep, and you can't beat a giant two bedroom bunk bed kids suite). Are there any other walkable hotels with sweet suites? We're looking at $200/night at hojo for the kids suite, and I think we can do better with included breakfasts, etc.

    Thanks all

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    922

    Re: September or January?

    We went this past January 14 and 15 (Tues. and Wed.) and the weather was in the 80's, crowds were mild, the castle still had remnants of snow and Haunted Mansion was finishing up their holiday overlay deconstruction. Hours were 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. for both parks. I thought it was the perfect time to visit. It has been ages since I have been there in September, so I can't comment on that.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    80

    Re: September or January?

    Crowd wise, January is a much better time to go, as the parks are much more "emptier". September does not have much of an "off season" , since there are some schools and colleges that open early-mid September. There are also events such as dapper day. As far as attractions being closed, space mountain and haunted mansion usually close around September to get the Halloween overlays.

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    195

    Re: September or January?

    January has a risk of some big attractions being closed.

    I would say go September BUT if you can push it forward to second last week or last week of August.

    I went on the 20th and 21st of August last year and lines were very reasonable as alot of CA schools had gone back.

    We got all of Fantasyland (excluding Matterhorn as it was closed) done by 10:30 after entering the park at opening.

    Haunted mansion was only a 20m wait, walked straight on to indy (we were walking past and they were standing out the front going "Fastpasses for Indy right now!" and handing them out.....was weird

  5. #5

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: September or January?

    We really like going in Sept with one caveat, if you go after Labor day (and it's on the 1st this year) then Haunted Mansion is down. The good part is that that time of year (day after labor day and on) is the second slowest time in attendance for the year.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    96

    Re: September or January?

    If Haunted Mansion is closed in Sept, that's my deal-breaker! No Disney trip is complete without HM!

    Thanks so much, everyone

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    922

    Re: September or January?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    If Haunted Mansion is closed in Sept, that's my deal-breaker! No Disney trip is complete without HM!

    Thanks so much, everyone
    I don't know the exact date in January when HM opens back up (fellow Micechatters can help here). We just missed it by a couple of days, I believe.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    2,394

    Re: September or January?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    If Haunted Mansion is closed in Sept, that's my deal-breaker! No Disney trip is complete without HM!

    Thanks so much, everyone
    They only close it for 5-7 days right after labor day to put up the holiday overlay; it's open from Mid-September through early January, so as long as you don't go Labor Day or the week after you're fine.

  9. #9

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,712

    Re: September or January?

    California is in one of the worst droughts in its history. While 80 degree weather in January is not unheard of, January is the rainy season and in a normal year you do have a very good chance of getting rained on. The good news about that is the rains tend to empty out the park. September on the other hand is usually very dry but can be one of the hottest months, with temps spiking into the upper 80s or 90s.

  10. #10

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: September or January?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I don't know the exact date in January when HM opens back up (fellow Micechatters can help here). We just missed it by a couple of days, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    California is in one of the worst droughts in its history. While 80 degree weather in January is not unheard of, January is the rainy season and in a normal year you do have a very good chance of getting rained on. The good news about that is the rains tend to empty out the park. September on the other hand is usually very dry but can be one of the hottest months, with temps spiking into the upper 80s or 90s.
    That is a good point. This year was an anomaly, not the rule.


    HM closes this year likely August 24th through September 12th, reopening for the start of the Halloween Season on the Friday the 13th. Space also closes for its layover, on the 8th through 12th of September. These are regular closures so my date estimates are bases on a pattern and likely.

    Other closures common this month, is the Mark Twain closing in the 2nd week and Sailing Ship Columbia in the 3rd week.

    It is when rehabs start, but not as heavily as January. January is the worst time for closures after the Holiday end.

    Hours are longer in the 1st week which includes the US Labor Day holiday on Monday the 1st this year. That 3 day weekend isn't super busy as it's the end of summer and school has or is about to restart. The week is mild because of schools going back in session. The summer fireworks Magical for the last few years has run through that week.

    In the second week the hours drop, and fireworks go to weekends only just like F! does at the end of August.


    It's great once Halloween starts, to mix a weekend and weekdays to get big crowds but the long hours and warm night, then slow weekdays.

    Halloween Party's may kick off on the 26th. They are fun if you have never done one.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    96

    Re: September or January?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    California is in one of the worst droughts in its history. While 80 degree weather in January is not unheard of, January is the rainy season and in a normal year you do have a very good chance of getting rained on.
    I'm from Vancouver, BC.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    96

    Re: September or January?

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    That is a good point. This year was an anomaly, not the rule.


    HM closes this year likely August 24th through September 12th, reopening for the start of the Halloween Season on the Friday the 13th. Space also closes for its layover, on the 8th through 12th of September. These are regular closures so my date estimates are bases on a pattern and likely.

    Other closures common this month, is the Mark Twain closing in the 2nd week and Sailing Ship Columbia in the 3rd week.

    It is when rehabs start, but not as heavily as January. January is the worst time for closures after the Holiday end.

    Hours are longer in the 1st week which includes the US Labor Day holiday on Monday the 1st this year. That 3 day weekend isn't super busy as it's the end of summer and school has or is about to restart. The week is mild because of schools going back in session. The summer fireworks Magical for the last few years has run through that week.

    In the second week the hours drop, and fireworks go to weekends only just like F! does at the end of August.


    It's great once Halloween starts, to mix a weekend and weekdays to get big crowds but the long hours and warm night, then slow weekdays.

    Halloween Party's may kick off on the 26th. They are fun if you have never done one.
    This is fantastic info, all of which I'm definitely going to consider! I have never seen the HM overlay. I've been to DL probably 5 or 6 trips in my 35 years, and I couldn't imagine HM with an "overlay", ew, lol! Doesn't it wreck the "hauntiness" or "ghoulishness" to make it all cartoony? I always thought that HM was a breath of fresh air in a quite cartoony world! Thoughts?

Similar Threads

  1. September?
    By One of a Kind in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 02:03 AM
  2. HK Disneyland prepares for September opening - AFP 7/21/05
    By Bass Shakers in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
  3. Anybody coming to Hong Kong for opening September 12?
    By geoffreyfowler in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 06:11 PM
  4. park attendace in september
    By sandrajamrock in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 01:50 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 01:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •