Crazy to Visit in August '14?

I used to be a resident of southern California, but I live in Oregon now and have for the last 15 years, so I'm quite out of the loop about crowds at Disneyland. I do, however, try my best to get down there every year as long as it's feasible. I went earlier in the summer the last two years in June (near the end of the month) and July (the three days before the 4th in 2013), which--as I'm sure you Disney goers know--was pretty crowded. It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely packed and we had a lot of fun regardless.

However, I am trying to make up my mind about whether or not I want to go in August or September. Really, the only issue here is that I don't know how much longer I can wait, but I've been to Disneyland at all times of the years and I've never truly thought that it was TOO busy to the point where I thought I wanted to go home.

So, I was taking a look at things like school start dates and Annual Passholder blockout lift dates for this year as well as the previous years. Each year from 2012-2013, the week of August 12-14, Tuesday through Thursday-ish were "Hey, it's Alright" according to the Crowd Forecast.

This year, they're predicting the same week will be "alright" as well. Do you guys think that this is a reasonable assumption to go by, that the same week will be "alright" according to the last two years or are those just entirely off?

I just want to know if it would be okay to go in August or if I'm just being highly impatient as I am in desperate need of a vacation. Is mid-August any worse than June/July or is there even any difference?
    Last edited by pure supercool; 04-25-2014 at 10:28 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Crazy to Visit in August '14?

Midweek in June, or July is about like midweek in the middle of August. If you wait until the 3rd week there is a noticeable drop in crowds. The 4th week is nearly low crowds but rehabs wills start then too as that is the shoulder season.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

It would technically be the second week from the 10th to the 16th, but we'd be going on the weekdays, perhaps Tues-Thurs depending. Isn't the third week when AP holders get the blackout dates lifted?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by pure supercool View Post
    It would technically be the second week from the 10th to the 16th, but we'd be going on the weekdays, perhaps Tues-Thurs depending. Isn't the third week when AP holders get the blackout dates lifted?
    The third week is when Socal APs are unblocked. But that doesn't cause them to flood in. Schools are also restarting so their vacation is over. Basically they get unblocked because summer crowds are ending.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The third week is when Socal APs are unblocked. But that doesn't cause them to flood in. Schools are also restarting so their vacation is over. Basically they get unblocked because summer crowds are ending.
    Oh, okay. A lot of what I read made it sound like the moment the blockouts are lifted, the passholders come swarming in. I guess I'll find out when I go how crowded it'll be!

We used to go in mid-August all the time. It's crowded, hot and humid but if you do the typical get there early, do all the popular stuff, nap in the afternoon and head back for dinner thing, it's not bad. Not as good as it was before the California Adventure rehab. Back in the day that was a nice place to spend the evenings but it's not so quiet and laid back anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
    We used to go in mid-August all the time. It's crowded, hot and humid but if you do the typical get there early, do all the popular stuff, nap in the afternoon and head back for dinner thing, it's not bad. Not as good as it was before the California Adventure rehab. Back in the day that was a nice place to spend the evenings but it's not so quiet and laid back anymore.
    We wouldn't do the whole leaving the park at noon and come back later. We stay all day for as long as we possibly can for 3 days between each park. And I've been in June and July, which wasn't horrible. I was just curious as to how comparable August is to those other summer months.