Heading to West Coast for First Time

Hey everyone,
    I'll be flying out to California in late July with some of my family, and have a few questions I hope to get some input on. First, what is the cheapest/best value for time spent mode of transportation to get from Burbank to Disneyland? I'll be spending some time up in Burbank with some west coast based family, but no one will be able provide transportation to Disneyland for my brothers and I. A shuttle is rather expensive, but it seems choices for transportation are limited since we will be going to Disneyland on a Sunday. If a shuttle/taxi is the best way to go, any suggestions for the cheapest option?
    Second, if we were to not arrive at the park until noon...are we throwing away any chance of being able to get a fastpass for RSR or World of Color?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions/answers!

Re: Heading to West Coast for First Time

Check train schedules for the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner and the Metrolink Ventura county/Orange county. On the Metrolink you'd change trains at Union Station. There's a station in Anaheim, and there's a bus to the parks. Downside: getting back you have to leave early but if you get a hotel in Anaheim, you can go back the next morning with no trouble.

Not sure how fast the fastpasses go for those two rides.

Welcome to California, and I hope you have a great trip!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

Re: Heading to West Coast for First Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Keeper View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'll be flying out to California in late July with some of my family, and have a few questions I hope to get some input on. First, what is the cheapest/best value for time spent mode of transportation to get from Burbank to Disneyland? I'll be spending some time up in Burbank with some west coast based family, but no one will be able provide transportation to Disneyland for my brothers and I. A shuttle is rather expensive, but it seems choices for transportation are limited since we will be going to Disneyland on a Sunday. If a shuttle/taxi is the best way to go, any suggestions for the cheapest option?
    Second, if we were to not arrive at the park until noon...are we throwing away any chance of being able to get a fastpass for RSR or World of Color?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions/answers!
    First, DO NOT SHOW UP FOR YOUR ONLY DAY AT DISNEYLAND AT NOON!! I can't yell this any louder on a message board....

Wait, yes I can:

First, DO NOT SHOW UP FOR YOUR ONLY DAY AT DISNEYLAND AT NOON!!

Now that we've settled on that:
    There are two trains out of Union Station Downtown:
    The 562, leaving at 6:15AM, arriving in Anaheim at 6:52AM. Take this one if the park opens at 8AM.
    The 564, leaving at 7:25AM, arriving at Anaheim at 8:03AM. Take this one if the park opens at 9AM.
    So, get a taxi from Burbank to Union Station.
    Get on the train.
    Get off the train, and take the local shuttle (ARC) to Disneyland.

Or, you can go a little later, from Burbank on the train:
    http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/287/706/...e-040714,0.pdf
    This schedule also shows that the last train out of Anaheim (to Union Station) is at 11:09PM.

$30 each round trip from Union Station. If there are three of you, that's $45 each way. plus the taxi to Union Station, and then another buck or two for the ARC.
    (Later train from Burbank is $34 round trip, but it seriously cuts your day at Disneyland down, and then you're spending more per hour in Disneyland. Last train back to Burbank (airport station, not the other one) is at 6:08PM. You can get to Glendale, and hope for a ride from there.

You should check to see if there are any private car companies who will take all of you when you want and take you home when you want for the same price or less.
    That is the convenience of a private car: not charged per person, pick you up and only you up, non-stop to your destination.
    Shuttle companies charge by the person, and it might not be just you and your direct trip to Disneyland and back.
    A rental car for the day might be cheaper, though it might require to days of renting.

Last edited by sediment; 07-01-2014 at 08:18 AM.