Last Minute New Year's Eve

Hi All. Looking to experts for some advise. I want to go to DL for my son's 7th b-day on 12/31. I'm trying to make up for trip last year that got canceled due to a family illness and death. Anyway, these are my questions to try and salvage this trip my kids deserve.

1. I want to DL on 12/31, 1/1 and 1/2.
    2. Want to have my son get a star on his birthday and maybe get selected to pull the sword from the stone.
    3. Being at park at midnight not a priority, but would like a hotel (moderate price, but nice, with fridge & micro?) that allows us to see fireworks. Understand at whim of last minute cancellations.
    4. Thinking about a 3-day park hopper: 12/31 at DL; 1/1 at CGA; 1/2 at DL again.
    5. Should I hold out for last minute cancellations at better hotels/motels or book at lesser to guarantee trip.
    6. Any suggestions welcomed.

Your advise is greatly appreciated. NCC

Re: Last Minute New Year's Eve

Thanks for moving to appropriate forum Dustysage. NCC

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

New Year's is a very busy time at the resort. New Year's Even in particular can be so crowded that the gates close in the early afternoon for Disneyland. I think that last year they had to close the gates to both Disneyland and DCA on New Year's Eve.

However, you can still have a great time if you aren't fixated on getting lots of rides done.

Tips:
    • Bring your own food on New Year's Eve - the lines for food can be VERY frustrating.
    • Arrive at park opening and get fast passes. Then ride as much as you can until the park gets crowded.
    • Once the parks get crowded, shift your focus to rides and shows with a high capacity (Pirates, Pirate Lair, Haunted Mansion, Golden Horseshoe Saloon, Mark Twain, Train, Jedi Training Academy, Parade.
    • You might have a chance to get your son on stage for the Jedi Training Academy, but don't get upset if you don't get selected for the Sword in the Stone show. For both, arrive early, stand in front, smile and look friendly.
    • If the park gets so crowded that you aren't having a good time, go have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen (at the Disneyland Hotel) or see a movie in Downtown Disney. There are lots of things that you could do. If you aren't planning to stay for fireworks, don't suffer the crowds any longer than you have to.
    • If you want to see fireworks from a hotel, you can't do much better than the Sheraton Anaheim Hotel at 900 South Disneyland Drive Anaheim, California 92802 Phone: (714) 778-1700 It is a bit on the expensive side, but is directly below where Disney shoots off the fireworks. Amazing.
    • Hotels for New Year's Eve won't be cheap. Book early and hope for the best. You can try Priceline or Hotwired, but there aren't likely to be big discounts for such a busy period.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Prefect

Blog Entries

We stayed at the Paradise Pier & even though we didn't have a fireworks view from our room, we walked around to the other side of our floor and had a great shot. The PPH is usually less expensive than the other hotels on property and we've liked it a lot. As for micro/fridge, I can't remember if we had that or not, so you'd have to call to check. I would think rooms will book quickly for NYE, so I'd recommend getting a room sooner rather than later. Hope this helps!
    <o>

Thanks for the reply all. Dusty you mentioned bringing in your own food, I thought you couldn't do that? My son, who is going to be Luke Skywalker for Halloween says that he is too shy for the Jedi training, but he might be willing to do the Sword and Stone if his sister comes up. Makes me wonder why I'm even trying to go on his b-day, but just hoping the wonder of it all just takes over, only as DL can do. I'll keep you posted. NCC