Question WDW to Disneyland tix conversion

We're heading out to San Diego tomorrow from Colorado, and plan on going to Disneyland a week from today. I want to see the park all decorated for Christmas.

I believe I remember seeing something in this forum quite some time ago about converting Disney World tickets to Disneyland tickets, but can't find it doing a search.

So the question is: Can I convert Walt Disney World tickets to Disneyland tickets? If so, how do I go about accomplishing this? We're on a really tight budget this time around, but I can't see visiting Southern California without spending at least a day in Disneyland.

Thanks for your advice and help!

Re: WDW to Disneyland tix conversion

I too was on a tight budget and did this just last month. You can redeem your WDW unexpired days for a DL hopper ticket. All you have to do is go to the gate and present the ticket taker your WDW ticket. They will have to call a supervisor over where they verify the ticket and hand you a new DL ticket with a bar code on it so that it can be read in DL's fastpass machines. Since WDW ticket have magnetic strip on them instead of the barcodes used at DL, you will not need the WDW pass anymore for the rest of the day, including switching parks, just use the new DL paper ticket given to you. This will not work if it is a WDW AP, if you do not have the nonexiration option added to the ticket or if it was not a WDW hopper ticket.

They may ask you to step aside to allow the line behind you to proceed through the turnstyle the longest it took for us to get in once we reached the gate was 5 minutes and that was on a busy Saturday and Sunday. And they told us how many days were remaining on or original ticket. The cast members were great and never gave us any difficulty about doing this.

However this does not work in reverse, you can't use DL tickets at WDW's gates.

Thanks much! I believe the WDW tickets were originally 10-day park hoppers with no expiration so I think we're good. I was going through my vacation notebook last night and came across the WDW tickets and thought "I wonder if ......"

Thanks, you've saved me at least $132.00

I had the 10 day non expiration ticket as well.

Don't forget to get you handstamped if park hopping, DL doesn't use the finger scans yet like WDW does.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    However this does not work in reverse, you can't use DL tickets at WDW's gates.
    Any idea why the reverse is not true?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

I believe it is based on the fact that a one day ticket price is a few dollars more at WDW than a DL one day price. And they don't want everyone buying DL tickets cheaper with the intent to use at WDW.

Also the two systems are not linked so it would just cause too many delays if a lot of people started using there tickets on opposite coasts since they have to get a lead to verify them each time. As it is now they don't advertise the fact that WDW tickets work at DL. Maybe one day they will have a universal ticket.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    I believe it is based on the fact that a one day ticket price is a few dollars more at WDW than a DL one day price...
    Makes sense. So do they refund the few dollars?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Somehow I kinda doubt it. Oh well, I'm going to Disneyland!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Nope!
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Excellent question and answers! I'm moving this to the So. Cal Travel Planning section to serve as a resource for others planning trips to Disneyland.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Thanks Dusty!

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post

Disney doesn't like to give money back like, any other company really. But actually they way it works out you end up saving money when you purchase the high multi day tickets like the 10 day. So the way it works out the when you divide the total cost of a 10 day ticket by 10 you end up paying much less than you would if you were to buy 10 one day tickets.

So in all actuality I got into DL for less than I would have if I just bought a two day hopper at the gate