DLR Tips & Planning for May/June 2008

Hi!

I know it's been a long time since I posted here, but I have some questions I thought this forum would be able to answer or at least point me on the straight and narrow path...

Normally, I'm a DVCer who frequents WDW. I know how to play that planning game very well. Unfortunately, DVC at DLR won't be ready in time for my trip...and planning a DLR based vacation is not my forte.

We (DH & I) haven't been to the DLR since 4th of July week in 2004. To celebrate my graduation this May 2008, I thought it would be fun to do something different and return to Disneyland....but also to see other things in the area since we didn't do that last time.

So far, I'm pretty sure the City Pass would be a good deal/idea for us. Is driving to Universal, SeaWorld, and the San Diego Zoo from the various hotels/motels near DL really feasible? I'm really hoping to get a deal on a rental car, but if not....is it possible to book shuttles...or should I just go ahead and get that rental and live with it?

Is there a DLR website comparable to what Deb Wills has for WDW with www.allearsnet.com ? I know her site has a DLR section, but it's not nearly as comprehensive as the WDW portion.

Are there any special events going on DLR during late May and/or early June?

Any tips on hotels/motels to book in the Anaheim area? Last time, we did Park Vue Inn...but are very much open to other suggestions. I have seen a lot of people give Candy Cane Inn the thumbs up....any reason?

I think that is it for now.

Thanks in advance.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Oh bother!

Re: DLR Tips & Planning for May/June 2008

The HoJo is a very good hotel choice (Howard Johnson's on Harbor Blvd.)
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Hi!
    So far, I'm pretty sure the City Pass would be a good deal/idea for us. Is driving to Universal, SeaWorld, and the San Diego Zoo from the various hotels/motels near DL really feasible? I'm really hoping to get a deal on a rental car, but if not....is it possible to book shuttles...or should I just go ahead and get that rental and live with it?
    I'll try to answer this one;
    I'll assume that we're dealing with more than three people, right? You should rent a car if you don't want to pay, say, $40 (or more) extra per person per trip.

Rent from whichever company you feel comfortable with.
    Driving to each place will be a bit of a chore. You should designate a driver and a navigator, as the freeways will be very slow at certain predictable times of the day as well as unpredictable ones (crashes, etc.).
    I suggest renting a car with a connection to a traffic website, so you can navigate around some tough spots on a moment's notice.
    I suggest knowing which freeways have carpool lanes (any number more than one human is eligible), as these lanes tend to move faster than the others.

For a Sea World / SD Zoo trip, I recommend staying overnight in San Diego for a day or two. Either the last days of your trip of the first days. It's a nice trip, once. Twice would be a pain.

Without a car:
    1. Trip to Universal can be done via Metrolink and Metro Red Line. About 90 minutes each way.
    2. San Diego trips can be done via Amtrak. (Not sure how to get from SD train station to SD hotel, but taxi is always a last resort, and check hotels for shuttles to parks.)
    3. To/From LAX can be done via Airport Express Bus.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. I appreciate it.

Hmm...you given me some things to consider and ponder. It's looking like it'll be my DH and I...then a friend and her daughter may be joining us later. So, basically 4 adults.

I hadn't realize SeaWorld was near San Diego. Hmm...so an overnight stay in San Diego would make sense if I want to do both SeaWorld and the Zoo.

I have made some progress and decided to "treat" myself to two nights at the Grnad Californian courtesy of my DVC points. I have yet to book my cheapy motel nights. I will definitely consider HoJo and possibly staying a night in San Diego.

decisions decision decisions....
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Rock Star Minion

And while in San Diego, don't forget to ride the Giant Dipper Roller Coaster near Mission Beach. Nice old coaster. Scary fun.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Are there any special events going on DLR during late May and/or early June?

Any tips on hotels/motels to book in the Anaheim area? Last time, we did Park Vue Inn...but are very much open to other suggestions. I have seen a lot of people give Candy Cane Inn the thumbs up....any reason?
    As far as when it will be busy or special events I would check out this sticky thread. You may run into some grad nights but I am pretty sure someone on this site will update the sticky.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...008-86961.html

As far as hotels there is a forum just for hotel reviews in the Anaheim area so it may help you out some and I would recommend starting there.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/forum...views-260.html

Most importantly have fun and let us see a trip report when you get back.