• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Question Travel Routes from NorCal to Disneyland?

Hey all!

I was hoping to get some advice on travel for this weekend. My friend and I are driving down to DL (as per usual) and I'm sure that there are a lot of people driving down as well.... I just heard that the Grapvine is closed due to the storm raging over the mountains. Yay for snow, bad for drivers. First question: has anyone driven over it in snow with chains? How bad was it?

Question two: Has anyone ever driven 101 South down to Disneyland from NorCal? If so, how long did it take you? I have some people telling me 10 hours and google telling me 7 (9 with traffic).

Just wanted some opinions from people that have been down these roads before (pun intended, if it could be considered punny!)

Thank, fellow Micechatters! See you in the Park!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Re: Travel Routes from NorCal to Disneyland?

There is a thread going in the "meets & events" section that has a lot of suggestions on this situation. Good luck & drive safe!!!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Shablagoo!

Here is a link to said thread.

edit: Forget mine, Radiobarryis link is better.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

EDIT - well then, here is the link...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ine-88431.html
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-24-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

It really depends on where in NorCal you are driving from.

From my house in Ventura County, I drove to Santa Clara and it was about 6 hours. So not too bad.

With the Snow, it will definately be less if you take the 101.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the information! I really appreciate it. See you at the park!

YAAAAY!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Rock Star Minion

We had a tiny bit of hail in our noon rain today in Thousand Oaks. I'm thinking that pass will be pretty bad.

The 101 is a much longer drive from anywhere north of Carmel. No mountain passes, though. You can go through Paso Robles, but I think that's the last chance for an easy detour (the rest are very winding, like The 33 through Ojai, which would probably get snow, too).

Check with CalTrans or CHP before you leave. Bring maps to find the detour. If the Tejon Pass is closed, then expect a lot more traffic on The 101.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    We had a tiny bit of hail in our noon rain today in Thousand Oaks. I'm thinking that pass will be pretty bad.

The 101 is a much longer drive from anywhere north of Carmel. No mountain passes, though. You can go through Paso Robles, but I think that's the last chance for an easy detour (the rest are very winding, like The 33 through Ojai, which would probably get snow, too).

Check with CalTrans or CHP before you leave. Bring maps to find the detour. If the Tejon Pass is closed, then expect a lot more traffic on The 101.
    I believe that the 33 is closed in the Ventura County back country north of Ojai...(in the Lockwood Valley)...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I believe that the 33 is closed in the Ventura County back country north of Ojai...(in the Lockwood Valley)...
    I thought so. What was the cause? Years of mudslides? Just a bad road? I remember it being bad about 10 years ago.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I thought so. What was the cause? Years of mudslides? Just a bad road? I remember it being bad about 10 years ago.
    It's because of snow, I think. Perhaps the road you're thinking of is Highway 150, which goes from Santa Paula through Ojai to Carpinteria (the 33 and 150 actually split off in Ojai...it's a beautiful stretch but gets a lot of slides and was closed for about a year a few years back.

We will be leaving around 5 tomorrow morning. How is the weather so far?