• Sock Puppet

Which mall near the resort is better.

Hi,

I'd like to know which mall near the resort is better between Fashion Island and South Coast plaza in terms of location I heard Fashion Island is near the beach is it true?
    I'd like to know which mall is the safest since i'm going with small kids.
    And I'd like to know which orange county beach is the safest and the most beautiful between laguna beach huntington beach and newport beach.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Which mall near the resort is better.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchhollywood View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to know which mall near the resort is better between Fashion Island and South Coast plaza in terms of location I heard Fashion Island is near the beach is it true?
    And I'd like to know which orange county beach is the safest and the most beautiful between laguna beach huntington beach and newport beach.
    While Fashion Island is a nice fancy mall, with a few things for kids to do.

South Coast Plaza is MUCH bigger, and also has stuff for kids to do.

I would say both are equally safe, Fashion Island is basically outdoors, while South Coast Plaza is indoors. Due to the size diffeence, go for South Coast Plaza.

As for beaches, you need to be a bit more careful, Huntington Beach is known as the "surfers" beach, Newport Beach is nice and easy to get to, and Laguna Beach is the smallest, and the longest drive.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Hi,

First thing you need to know is that Disneyland itself is not too far from the beach (about a 20 minute drive). You can stay near the DLR and still easily be able to go the beach and DL in the same day.
    As far as malls are concerned, Fashion Island is not on the beach but is very close and overlooks the ocean. It is outdoors and SCP is enclosed. SCP is a little farther away but not by much.

Both malls are equally safe. FI is more upscale and SCP has a mixture of upscale and more "middle class" offerings.

As far as the beaches are concerned. Laguna Beach is the most beautifull but Laguna's streets are narrow, crowded, and hilly. Newport has nice beaches too and tends to be clean. Hintington is nice but I don't think it is quite as safe as in Laguna or Newport. (Just a personal opinion though)

Specifcally with small kids I prefer Fashion Island and either Little Corona Beach or the area near the Balboa Pier, all in Newport Beach.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Fashion Island is beautiful...but Darkbeer is right -- not much for kids other than a train that I recall running near Bloomingdale's and then a carousel near Macy's (formerly Robinsons May).

South Coast Plaza has a carousel in Carousel Court...which is nice, but again, I don't know how much stuff you could consider 'kid oriented' there. But both 'shopping extravaganzas' are great, safe and something I would encourage.

As for beaches......I've never been one for Huntington Beach........Newport Beach/Balboa have been my choices for years........but as of late, I really love Laguna Beach......it's more scenic looking.....has a character and serenity that the other beaches don't have. Might be a bit longer drive, but I think it's well worth it. There is a municipal parking lot up near Forest/Ocean and we were there the other day and paid $3 for all day parking......might be higher on weekends...I don't know. But anyway, it was just a short trek to the beach after that, and was a fabulous day all the way around the board.

If you are interested in Laguna Beach, I have a trip report that I posted earlier this week and all photos were taken there.....it's called "A Day @ The Beach"....

Enjoy your time!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Do you know that so far everyone who has responded to this thread is named David?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Do you know that so far everyone who has responded to this thread is named David?
    THAT is hysterical! You're right!

Even further, I am David Michael - which I have seen is Darkbeers name too....

• Sock Puppet

Thanks for your quick replies,I am so lost about the beach,I read in a reference book that huntington beach is one of the safest beaches in orange county is that true?Which one would you consider the safest I am asking because I know locals know better.
    And about Fashion Island can we go to the beach from the mall?
    Is there any kind of shuttles from the disneyland resort to the malls or the beaches?
    I am sorry to ask so many questions but I only know Disneyland Resort and I live in Paris.
    I appreciate all the help.
    Thanks.

Sarah.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Thanks for your quick replies,I am so lost about the beach,I read in a reference book that huntington beach is one of the safest beaches in orange county is that true?Which one would you consider the safest I am asking because I know locals know better.
    And about Fashion Island can we go to the beach from the mall?
    Is there any kind of shuttles from the disneyland resort to the malls or the beaches?
    I am sorry to ask so many questions but I only know Disneyland Resort and I live in Paris.
    I appreciate all the help.
    Thanks.

Sarah.
    Huntington Beach is safe. All of them are safe, but as far as scenic preference, I don't care for it. But sunshine is sunshine......oh, and good luck finding any today - it's overcast where I am

From Fashion Island, you can see the ocean......and it's a pretty close trek to the shore.....you can take Jamboree across PCH and take that into Balboa Island area.......but that's not the 'shore'.

I'm sure there are shuttles.....but not sure about shuttles from the malls to the beach.

Are you staying in a Hotel nearby???? They might be able to assist in regard.

• Lackey

Those malls are both too upscale. The Block at Orange is just down Harbor Blvd. (on the way to the beach) and is more fun, for kids of all ages.
    Just South of Laguna is Aliso Beach, nice sand, nice water (just not after it rains), and last time I was there, a couple of weeks ago, parking was free. It is between Laguna and Dana Point. If you want very safe, as far as rough waves..., head North above Huntington and go to Seal Beach.
    Any of these make a nice coastal drive.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    From Fashion Island, you can see the ocean......and it's a pretty close trek to the shore.....you can take Jamboree across PCH and take that into Balboa Island area.......but that's not the 'shore'.
    I would do this, take the ferry across to the other side, and then go to the beach. Or the same thing but in reverse order and make a day of it. For strolling around, Fashion Island is nicest because it's outside. Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza also give you a great "snapshot" of what life is like for the chosen few in Orange County.
    A signature should go here.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WOKcreative View Post
    Those malls are both too upscale. The Block at Orange is just down Harbor Blvd. (on the way to the beach) and is more fun, for kids of all ages.
    Its about 5 minutes from Disneyland. And I agree with The Block suggestion. It has a lot of stuff for everyone.

Also, Irvine Spectrum isnt that far and has a lot of the same things that The Block has. Ive been to all of the malls listed so far, and I'd say that either The Block or Irvine Spectrum are the better choices.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Thanks, Ollie

I wouldn't say that The Block has a lot of stuff for kids... there's the Vans Skate Park, but that's it... There's not really a lot of activity-type stuff in malls for kids anymore. Unless you're just looking for stores kids might like? The Main Place Mall (which is just slightly further south of The Block has The Disney Store and a Build-a-Bear type place...

What sort of stuff are you looking for, for kids in a mall?

I agree with what everyone says. The malls/beaches are all as safe as they CAN be...but no place is 100% safe.

If you have a car and take PCH south there is a little beach called "Aliso Beach Park" and what I love about it is that is it small, pretty, only have to pay by the hour (instead of a lump sum), there is playground equipment is is not too far from Ruby's. There is also a small pier with the snack bar that isn't too bad.