Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Have searched and searched and cannot find a thread...so question from the newbie.

    We are staying in Anaheim in August, but need to spend time at the Queen Mary as well.

    Is there transportation (bus or rail) to Long Beach or am I in for an exciting taxi ride? I can rent a car, but I think the last thing Californians want is me on their freeway! LOL

    Thanks in advance, Alice

  2. #2

    • Incognito
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Blog Entries
    49

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Well, you can take a cab, but it'll probably cost you an arm and a leg. If you'd want to take a train, you'd have to take the MetroLink north to Union Station, then take the Blue Line light rail to the end of the line in Long Beach, where I believe there is a bus that can take you to the QM. However, that would probably take you a good 3 hours one way.

    Your best bet - rent a car. If freeways bother you that much, it's a roundabout way but you can certainly take surface streets. But again, it'll probably take you over an hour to do so one way. Good luck!

  3. #3

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Olympicnut,

    Thank you! I appreciate the prompt reply! Thanks for the info too...

    My Dad is from SoCal, he tells me to quit being a whimp and just drive the freeways! Sounds like he is right, yet again, and I should rent a car.

    Will drag my Garman and ask oodles of questions at the Front Desk before I go. Will also give myself some extra time to get there.

    Thanks again Olympicnut! --Alice

    PS I live in Colorado Springs, we have an Olympic Training Center here and oodles of Olympic Fans here. Exciting summer coming up... They even have a countdown clock posted beside the front door, it is amazing there!

  4. #4

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,399

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Orange County Transit (OCTA) Bus Line 50 will take you to CSU-Long Beach.
    http://www.octa.net/pdf/mar08/route050.pdf
    Then, transfer to OCTA 60 to get to Long Beach Transit Mall.
    http://www.octa.net/pdf/pdf/june2008/route060.pdf
    From there, take LB Passport Bus C.

    Or, instead of OCTA 60, you can take LB Bus 81, though it is not very frequent:
    http://www.lbtransit.com/schedules/D...&mode=schedule
    http://www.lbtransit.com/schedules/D...&mode=schedule
    http://www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/pdf/map_system.pdf
    http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

    http://www.octa.net/
    Last edited by sediment; 06-10-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  5. #5

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,399

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    It's not being wimpy. It's being aware of your knowledge and limitations. The freeways can be pretty intimidating at first.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  6. #6

    • formerly PretzelSouls!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    805,CA
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It's not being wimpy. It's being aware of your knowledge and limitations. The freeways can be pretty intimidating at first.
    Ohhhh yeah...the freeways here can be crazy...
    I know you can take a cab, I've never been there myself though.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau


  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    Talking Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Sediment...thanks for the schedules and info! Great info, will save the links and make some plans. I appreciate it!

    --Alice

  8. #8

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,399

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    No problem!
    Just pay attention to the frequency of buses and the times of the last buses out. The OCTA's seem to run pretty late, but I cannot vouch for the Long Beach ones. (I live nowhere near any of this -- I'm just using my internetting skillz.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  9. #9

    • 'splosions
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    16.4 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    796

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    i could probably help you arrange a ride through the company we go through at the hotel if you'd like. they give a flat rate thats comparable to a taxi, and the cars smell nicer and you get a great driver

  10. #10

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,399

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    i could probably help you arrange a ride through the company we go through at the hotel if you'd like. they give a flat rate thats comparable to a taxi, and the cars smell nicer and you get a great driver
    True. Depends heavily on how much you're willing to spend.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  11. #11

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    Smile Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Browncoat,

    May need to take you up on that...a flat rate would take the guessing out of the whole thing and make everything much easier! Very kind of you to offer the info...but,...

    Now, everything may be changing, the other kids may want to go now also...so that is going to add more to the mix. Making it much more reasonable to rent a car. Sigh...guess I need to get back to the planning stages. The hotel I found doesn't have any remaining rooms, so off to HoJo's for the Mousesaver specials. This may all become really interesting really fast!

    Thanks again, Browncoat...may need that info from you if the others change minds again.

    --Alice

  12. #12

    • 'splosions
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    16.4 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    796

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    hey, no worries. they offer a van service as well for not much more than the car.

    Renting a car is always the feasible way to go, but you'll have to factor things in like gas, insurance, paying to park your car at the hotel (most hotels are doing this now believe it or not), etc. i can give you some great car rental places as well too i've been using for years if you decide to go that route

    Quote Originally Posted by Alicekay08 View Post
    Browncoat,

    May need to take you up on that...a flat rate would take the guessing out of the whole thing and make everything much easier! Very kind of you to offer the info...but,...

    Now, everything may be changing, the other kids may want to go now also...so that is going to add more to the mix. Making it much more reasonable to rent a car. Sigh...guess I need to get back to the planning stages. The hotel I found doesn't have any remaining rooms, so off to HoJo's for the Mousesaver specials. This may all become really interesting really fast!

    Thanks again, Browncoat...may need that info from you if the others change minds again.

    --Alice

  13. #13

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Browncoat,

    Thanks...will keep both in mind. Still trying to get some answers from everyone. Oh my!

    Will let you know...Alice

  14. #14

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    I cannot believe it has been over a month since this whole thing started...time flies when you are having fun planning a trip!

    No news yet on going to Long Beach (its for work...long story), so decided to reserve a car.

    Amazing planing note---cheaper to rent a car in Anaheim and take the shuttle bus than it was to rent a car from LAX! WOW! Was shocked by that. Thought it would be the other way around.

    Thanks for all the information! I appreciate it!!

    Off to find that Garmin...and check the Southwest website to see if I can pack that in my carryon. Oh my! Just be nice to that old lady in the right lane trying to keep up with you all....

  15. #15

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,399

    Re: Transportation to the Queen Mary

    Quote Originally Posted by Alicekay08 View Post
    I cannot believe it has been over a month since this whole thing started...time flies when you are having fun planning a trip!

    No news yet on going to Long Beach (its for work...long story), so decided to reserve a car.

    Amazing planing note---cheaper to rent a car in Anaheim and take the shuttle bus than it was to rent a car from LAX! WOW! Was shocked by that. Thought it would be the other way around.

    Thanks for all the information! I appreciate it!!

    Off to find that Garmin...and check the Southwest website to see if I can pack that in my carryon. Oh my! Just be nice to that old lady in the right lane trying to keep up with you all....
    Good work. You only need the car for the one day, as opposed to the whole trip if you rented at LAX.

    Theory: "Local" rentals have to be price-competitive with each other, while the LAX rentals have a lot of businesspeople who don't care about the cost, since the business takes care of it. Their competitive aspect is service, not cost.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Queen Mary Shipwreck
    By pveticket in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 05:07 AM
  2. Queen Mary: Shipwreck
    By filmfreak11 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
  3. Queen Mary 2 leaving S.F.
    By Duck44 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 10:16 AM
  4. Queen Mary Meets the Queen Mary 2
    By Disneyphile in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
  5. Queen Mary 2
    By ksejr1 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •