Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blog Entries

Re: Flying to LAX in December 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Two bucks: that's half (?) a churro!

Did someone say Churro!!! If you want with that extra money you can buy that churro put my name on it and when I get to the park I'll eat it and tell you all about it .. Deal? (hide it by the river).

P.s: I like John Wayne just because of the name. LAX is too Corporate sounding. or something like that .. thanks..

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• Man O Lantern

LAX is split up into very manageable areas that are quite a bit smaller than if you'd gone to a smaller airport where you have to wade through the entire airport just to get to a gate or to get your luggage. It's not bad. I just don't like driving around it. It's like its own crazy city driving experience.

We've done super shuttle from there multiple times. www.supershuttle.com

And we've rented a car when we had concrete plans to go elsewhere...and then we didn't really do much. So that was a huge waste.

We also did a car service once. I think it was $75 for the five of us one way in a Town Car. That was really nice. About the same as some of the shuttle services one way. You often get a round trip discount with the shuttles though.

Mostly we take a cab from SNA and ask for the flat rate. It's less than $30 for the entire family with a tip.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If you can, I would suggest trying to see if you can land at John Wayne Airport instead. It is only 15 minutes away. You can rent a car from there, or you can take a taxi or other shuttle service which would cost maybe $40 - $50.

It is a small airport and a lot less overwhelming as LAX. Plus it is like I said a lot closer to the DLR.
    Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    I agree with DisneyIPresume. It would be a lot easier if you flew into John Wayne (SNA). You can take the ME from there for a minimal fee. Shuttles and taxi's are also available and since you're closer to the park...

Have a great trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    John Wayne is a much better air port to fly into....if you HAVE to fly in to LAX it is going to cost you more money. Taxis and cabs are avaliable from LAX to DRL but they are semi-expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love LAX...just John Wayne more - it's less crowded.
    I agree with everyone here!!!
    john wayne is small, easy and close. why save a dine to fly into LAX when you can fly closer?

• Minion

We Have always flown into LAX since we are international flyers. We have never had a problem ever.
    We have used the Disnayland shuttle before and it was O.K.
    Better than that we found was renting a vehicle.
    We use this site www.carrentals.com and usually find a weekly intermediate for around 90 bucks. The drive is easy, and takes us around 45 min.
    Hope this helps.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I agree with everyone here!!!
    john wayne is small, easy and close. why save a dine to fly into LAX when you can fly closer?
    Because you may not only save money, you're saving time, and also decreasing the chances of flight complications. On a connecting flight to Orlando, your flight time (with layover) can be as high as 10 hours. Our flight to Orlando from LAX last week was 4 hours and 40 minutes. Our return flight was just under 5 hours. The shuttle to our car took about 25 minutes, and another 35 minutes to drive to Orange County. Add one takeoff and one landing, one stowing of carryon items, and being able to nod off for the better part of the flight, even without savings, it's sure what I prefer.

Sorry for my post.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Rock Star Minion

I'm with MM.
    Three or four things:
    1. Difference in number of plane transfers. Not every origin has flight plans as simple to OC as to LAX. If you can get to LAX with one less plane transfer than you can to OC, then LAX should be the choice.
    2. Times of flights. Some origins have multiple flights to and from LAX but not nearly as many to OC. Convenience of late take-offs from LAX can be nice. I was there last night and there was a flight to O'Hare leaving at 11PM (red-eye, probably arriving at 4AM, unless it flies deliberately slowly). I don't think (correct me if wrong) OC has flights out that late.
    3. Cost of flights. If equal, then you should definitely go OC. depending on the number in your party and the cost from LAX to Anaheim (Gray Line bus being the lowest cost option, I think), the difference in flight costs can be enormous. That is, if cost is an issue. (I figure people spending thousands of dollars shouldn't be quibbling about tens of dollars. Don't come if you REALLY want to save money.)
    4. The traffic. Depending on when you're coming or going to LAX, the traffic (especially for the ride home) can be troublesome for getting there in time (plus 40 minutes to spare).

It's all up to each person's situation. There is no one answer for all, but there is probably only one answer for each person. (and there might be a few on the cusp, after everything is accounted for).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12