• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

How to use the Metro Link and it's Hours?

I'm contemplating gong to Universal Studio's on one of my next trips to Disneyland, and I'm thinking about using Metro Link. I do know where the Station is in Fullerton, north on Harbor. And I've heard of another location on Harbor?

My quest is to use Metro Link to travel to Universal Studios. Is there a stop within reasonable distance to Citywalk/Universal? Would I need to switch trains? I would also like to make a stop at the Hollywood/Highland location. It does look like that stop is on the same route to Universal. Is that correct?

According to the web site, you purchase your ticket from a vending machine. What is the charge for a daily pass/ or round trip pass? Do the machines accept $20 bills, take credit cards. I tried checking out info online, but just couldn't find some of these details, and figured someone on the boards here might have a little more info.

I don't know if they still offer those free rides if you purchase your tickets at the location across the street from HoJo's, BUT with those you are usually more limited in what time you leave and come back, and your time is limited. (I once took a tour bus that drove us up there, and I'm NOT doing that again) Figured the Metro Link would give quite a bit more freedom on travel times. And it would be so nice to avoid driving 5 and 101 in the midst of rush hour, so with high gas prices, Metro Link certainly looks like a pretty good option.

omg, a what bunch of geeky questions, but I want to feel a little more comfortable and hear some first hand reports, to up my comfort level. We have had a few topics previously about Metro Link, but most of those are more than a year old, so I figured time for an update. I'm sure a few people will benefit from this info, to as summer has just begun.

Also, how frequently do the trains run? What hours do they run? What is the cost?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: How to use the Metro Link and it's Hours?

OK, Aladdin, Lisa and I have done this MANY times.

I recommend the Fullerton station, since it is closer and less fare than the Anaheim station (which is in the Angel Stadium parking lot).

The Fullerton station is just off Harbor Blvd, about 4 miles north of Disneyland.

If you don't want to drive, the OCTA Route 43 runs about every 15 minutes up and down Harbor. There is also limited free parking at the station.

There is a major difference between Weekdays, and weekends.

You can find the schedules here...

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

As for buying a ticket, yes, they have Automated ticket machines at the station that take Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and cash. Round Trip is cheaper than one-way, but make sure you will be back by the last train leaving Union Station in the evening. If you want to stay later, Amtrak has a later train, but it is more expensive, and you would have to "split" the fare. (The same machines sell Amtrak tickets).

Once you get to Union Station, you just have to transfer to the Metro line, and it is just a quick walk, just follow the signs to the boarding station (which is under the Metrolink Train platforms). No need to pay any extra, as your Metrolink Train ticket gives you free Metro "Subway" and Bus service.

You take the Metro Red Line to the Universal City station. You get off the Subway and go up to street level. Once you are there, you walk across the street and catch a free Universal Shuttle from the bottom of the hill to the Citywalk area, which is right next door to the park.

The Metro Red Line does have a stop between Union Station and Universal City at Hollywood and Highland, and is a good place to take a break.... And no extra charge if you have your Metrolink ticket.

Hope this helps, please ask more questions, as I do like this option....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Never Gets Lost

The Metrolink Orange County Line only goes as far as Union Station in Downtown LA.

You would then have to transfer to the Metro Red Line toward North Hollywood. Along this line is:
    • Hollywood and Highland (the station exits right at the intersection)
    • Universal City (the station is still located on the outskirts of the Universal property)
    If you are using the Fullerton station on a weekday, be aware that parking there is completely filled up early in the morning due to commuter crowds. My suggestion if you need to park on a weekday, then park your car on the Walnut Street on the south side of the tracks. It can't be accessed from Harbor Blvd, you would have access it from Lemon Street (parallel street to the east) or Highland Ave (parallel street to the west). If it's on the weekend, don't worry about parking or packed trains...the crowds are very sparse in comparison to commuting hours.

When you arrive at the Universal City Metro Red Line station:
    Quote Originally Posted by from USH transportation info
    Across the street from the subway station and the bus stop is a free Universal Studios shuttle bus. This free shuttle will conveniently take you to the main entrances of Universal Studios Hollywood and CityWalk Hollywood.

This shuttle service runs 7 days a week, with pick-ups approximately every 10-15 minutes.

Shuttle service begins at 7:30 am every morning. Service continues until approximately 2 hours after the theme park closes. Please refer to the posted times at each shuttle stop for information on the last departing shuttle. Check here for Park hours.
    That's basically all I know from when I rode Metrolink and the Metro Red Line when I went on a Saturday

• Rock Star Minion

One thing you definitely have to know is that they don't run very frequently, and that they stop service somewhat early.
    AMTRAK has some later trains as well.
    Another option is to drive to Long Beach Blue Line and take Blue Line to the end, then transfer to Red Line. Much more frequent and service ends a lot later.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I'm contemplating gong to Universal Studio's on one of my next trips to Disneyland, and I'm thinking about using Metro Link.
    1. I do know where the Station is in Fullerton, north on Harbor. And I've heard of another location on Harbor?

2. My quest is to use Metro Link to travel to Universal Studios. Is there a stop within reasonable distance to Citywalk/Universal?
    3. Would I need to switch trains?
    4. I would also like to make a stop at the Hollywood/Highland location. It does look like that stop is on the same route to Universal. Is that correct?
    5. According to the web site, you purchase your ticket from a vending machine. What is the charge for a daily pass/ or round trip pass?
    6. Do the machines accept $20 bills, take credit cards. I tried checking out info online, but just couldn't find some of these details, and figured someone on the boards here might have a little more info.
    7. I don't know if they still offer those free rides if you purchase your tickets at the location across the street from HoJo's, BUT with those you are usually more limited in what time you leave and come back, and your time is limited. (I once took a tour bus that drove us up there, and I'm NOT doing that again) Figured the Metro Link would give quite a bit more freedom on travel times. And it would be so nice to avoid driving 5 and 101 in the midst of rush hour, so with high gas prices, Metro Link certainly looks like a pretty good option.
    8. omg, a what bunch of geeky questions,
    9. but I want to feel a little more comfortable and hear some first hand reports, to up my comfort level. We have had a few topics previously about Metro Link, but most of those are more than a year old, so I figured time for an update. I'm sure a few people will benefit from this info, to as summer has just begun.
    10. Also, how frequently do the trains run?
    11. What hours do they run?
    12. What is the cost?
    1. Yes. Fullerton and Anaheim. Anaheim station is on or near Katella, the E/W street associated with Disneyland.
    2. You are confusing Metrolink with Metro Red Line. Not the same. Not even run by the same transporation board. The Red Line has a station right at the bottom of the hill, and I'm pretty sure there is a shuttle to take you up the hill to USH. Metrolink has a hub in LA Union Station, where Metro Red Line also starts/ends.
    3. So, yes, you would have to change modes of transport.
    4. Metro Red Line also has a stop at Hollywood/Highland. Your Red Line pass is good for some length of time and is not dependent on the exact train you take, only the direction. "4-hour window" pops in my head.
    5. Differs for the two different modes.
    a) Red Line is $1.35 each way, I think. There is a day pass which costs more than twice the one-way trip.
    b) For Metrolink, http://www.metrolinktrains.com/farecalc/ This web site says the cost is $7.25 one way, $13.25 r/t from Anaheim. $6.25 one-way and $11.00 r/t from Fullerton. (Woo! big savings!) The real difference between the two stations is the frequency, as Fullerton is on both the OC line and the Riverside Line.
    6. Yes, generally speaking, assuming nothing is wrong with your $20 bills. The Metrolink vending machines also take credit cards.
    7. No idea what you're writing about.
    8. Correct.
    9. We are the geeks that serve you. That's why I've numbered your questions.
    10 and 11. http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/pdf.php?id=241 Weekday schedules. Weekend schedules are also available online. Less frequent. For later returns, check the AMTRAK site.
    12. Answered in #5 above.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."