4 28.57%
  • American League

10 71.43%
  • I'll Be Watching for Love of the Game

0 0%

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The MLB All Star Game...Thoughts and Opinions, Please

The All-Star game is once again upon us...the 2008 classic being held in the "House the Ruth built" (and George extensively renovated in the mid-70's).

Above is a poll to gauge who you think will win the game, if you care who wins.

But I have a few other questions (my thoughts in plain font).

1) Do you think that the game has lost some of its lustre through the years?

Yes I liked it better when managers weren't so concerned about getting everyone a chance to play, and were more concerned with winning for their league.

2) Do you like the way the teams are selected?

You'll never have a perfect system and there will always be players on the outside looking in. You need to keep the fans involved. So what if they sometimes make bonehead choices? This is their game, after all.

I think they need to do away with the "every team represented" rule.

3) Should they keep the "now it counts" gimmick they concocted after that silly tie game? In oither words, the team that wins this exhibition game, gets home field advantage for whoever represents the league in the World Series?

No. I've thought from the start that it was silly and contrived...go back to the old method where leagues rotated home field from one year to the next.

4) Is this all-star game the best of those in any major sport?

By far. it is vastly superior to the all-star games in other sports in my opinion.

5) Do you believe it when guys say that taking part in the home run derby "screws up their swing"?

They would certainly know better than I. But that explanation is a bit hard for me to fathom.

That's enough for now. If I come up with any othere thoughts I'll be back....and you guys fel free to bring up other issues!

-- Barry (Go A.L.)
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-14-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Re: The MLB All Star Game...Thoughts and Opinions, Please

I don't know anything about the finer points of this whole thing. I just know that I like watching the game. I like seeing the different ballparks, and seeing someone from my favorite team represented.

It's especially fun for me this year, since the Cubs will be well represented. The Sox feel short changed, and I really do think their pitchers got short changed.

I do think that every team should be represented.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Some of those more deserving get left behind because every team has to be represented. This is supposed to be the All-Star game, so the manager should be able to pick the best available players to fill out his roster, without regard to that.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

1) Do you think that the game has lost some of its lustre through the years?

Absolutely. It seems to me, for the most part, it's just a way to show off the latest and greatest stadiums in baseball. This year is an exception of course, and it is fitting that it's in Yankee Stadium since it's closing.

No, not at all. Fan selection should be the way to go for every position, not just the starters. When Joe Torre was the perennial AL Manager all those years, the AL team was far too overloaded with Yankee Players, and that's what got me dis-interested.

I also think they need to do away with the "every team represented" rule. It's not little league.

3) Should they keep the "now it counts" gimmick they concocted after that silly tie game? In oither words, the team that wins this exhibition game, gets home field advantage for whoever represents the league in the World Series?

Absolutely not. It's idiotic. Go by best record of the teams. Done.

Yes. But that's not saying much.

5) Do you believe it when guys say that taking part in the home run derby "screws up their swing"?

This is bullcrap. Are they going to say that BP messes up their swing next?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

This is bullcrap. Are they going to say that BP messes up their swing next?
    I'd have to agree with you, But as I recall, this was the reason A-Rod gave for not wanting to participate. And Rex Hudler said on TV yesterday that Vlad Guerrero said he went into a slump after the break, in part because he was "so tired out" with all the swinging he had to do in winning the contest last year.

You're right, it sure looks like batting practice, and I would think an enjoyable time, for them.

-- Barry

Congratulations to Minnesota's Justin Morneau for winning this year's derby.

• Circle of Ancients

Speaking of the HR Derby ... What a show Josh Hamilton put on yesterday. Simply AMAZING!!!! He didn't win the Derby, but he sure won some fans.

His comeback story is nothing short of extraordinary.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I hate to say it, but the HR derby is much more exciting than the All-Star game IMO. I do like seeing the home town favorites for sure.

This is the main reason why I hate Tony LaRussa. When Anaheim hosted the all-star game Chuck Finley was the lone Angel representitive. LaRussa didn't even put him in the game. Sick man, just sick.

• Rides against injustice

1) Do you think that the game has lost some of its luster through the years?

Yes. I dont even watch the whole game anymore. I watch the intros, cheer for my guys and maybe watch the first few innings and the last few.

Yes and No. Yes because it gives the fans a bit of power, but no because many times its just a popularity contest.
    I do think they should keep the "Every team has one player" thing though.

No, either go back to the old way or base homefield on who has the better record.

Yes, but only because of the HR derby

No. I think its an excuse not to participate. Baseball players are probably the most superstitious people on Earth and many of them probably think they'll be wasting their HR swings in a derby.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

The introductions were nice. Different from the regular lineups.

Scoreless in the first. I bet Cubs fans gasped when Soto slipped on the weighted bat.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Um....it's now 1:25 AM back East and it's top of the 15th inning. Not that I haven't been enjoying this but....is it EVER going to end???

• Golden State of Mind

apparently because my boy terry isnt going to let kazmir go more than one more inning
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

What a game. One of the best All-Star games ever. My boy Joakim Soria came in, in the 11th and pitched 1.2 innings with 2 hits allowed and 0 runs plus 2 strikeouts including a vintage Soria curveball to Dan Uggla.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    The introductions were nice. Different from the regular lineups.

Scoreless in the first. I bet Cubs fans gasped when Soto slipped on the weighted bat.
    We sure did...

That was a great game but I really wanted the NL to win since the Cubs do have a pretty decent chance being around in October and going to the WS so home field advantage would really be a help in that final series.

Oh well... It's still our year...

- Zach

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great game. Sure glad we didn't have to revisit the "tie" mess.

• Animation Domination

WOW
    What a long game but it was fun to watch.