The All-Star game is once again upon us...the 2008 classic being held in the "House the Ruth built" (and George extensively renovated in the mid-70's).
Above is a poll to gauge who you think will win the game, if you care who wins.
But I have a few other questions (my thoughts in plain font).
1) Do you think that the game has lost some of its lustre through the years?
Yes I liked it better when managers weren't so concerned about getting everyone a chance to play, and were more concerned with winning for their league.
2) Do you like the way the teams are selected?
You'll never have a perfect system and there will always be players on the outside looking in. You need to keep the fans involved. So what if they sometimes make bonehead choices? This is their game, after all.
I think they need to do away with the "every team represented" rule.
3) Should they keep the "now it counts" gimmick they concocted after that silly tie game? In oither words, the team that wins this exhibition game, gets home field advantage for whoever represents the league in the World Series?
No. I've thought from the start that it was silly and contrived...go back to the old method where leagues rotated home field from one year to the next.
4) Is this all-star game the best of those in any major sport?
By far. it is vastly superior to the all-star games in other sports in my opinion.
5) Do you believe it when guys say that taking part in the home run derby "screws up their swing"?
They would certainly know better than I. But that explanation is a bit hard for me to fathom.
That's enough for now. If I come up with any othere thoughts I'll be back....and you guys fel free to bring up other issues!
-- Barry (Go A.L.)