Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Remembering the Journey - Go The Distance

Have you seen the movie Field Of Dreams? Then you know what the phrase "Go The Distance" means. I remember I was at the movies, and I saw the poster for the Field of Dreams movie. It was a long time since they made a baseball movie. I told myself, that I had to see that movie. That was in 1989. I saw the movie, the first week it came out, and I fell in love with it. I knew it would be popular. I remember telling my brother Douglas, who was also a baseball fan, that he had to go see it too. He did. He loved it as much as I did.

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Remembering the Journey - Go The Distance

I listen to WGN. Spike O'Dell, who was the afternoon guy at that time, was talking to a man with the last name of Lansing. It seems, that he owned the farm where the Field of Dreams movie was filmed. Spike O'Dell got wind of the fact that people took the last scene in the Field of Dreams movie, literally. They were "Going the Distance". They were visiting the Field. They wanted to see where the movie was made. I remembering mentioning this to my brother. I told him how the farmer who owned the field was welcoming visitors to the site of the movie, and actually allowing them to play on the Field.

One day, out of the clear blue sky my brother asked me, "What are you doing tomorrow". I said, "not much". It was Labor Day weekend, and he had some time off of work. He said, do you want to go to Iowa. Do you want to visit the Field?

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember we left at 6:30 in the morning. It was my brother Douglas, his son Kevin, and myself. Douglas' wife Linda thought we were wasting our time. The owner would probably chase us away. We decided that was O.K. We could at least see the place, where the movie was made. Even if he did chase us away. I remembered what Spike said, though. People were welcome to come and visit the Field,. We were on our way, and I was excited. I remember the drive. We headed north through Illinois, and were supposed to turn west by Rockford. We took a wrong road somewhere, and ended up in Wisconsin. However, once we got redirected we headed west, past Platteville, where the Bears, had their training camp, and headed for Iowa. I remember crossing the Mississippi River. We stopped, for some rest, and bathroom breaks, and according to our map, we were almost in Dyersville. Dyersville, is where we picked up this brochure. I guess we are in the right place. It was the middle of the day. The sun was shining, and my heart was pounding.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I didn't have a very good camera back then. The movie came out in 1989, and we made our journey the following year in 1990. I didn't have a digital camera. I wish I did. Were they even out then?

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember the first glimpses of the farm, and the Field. I remember all the cars in the parking lot. I remember commenting about the license plates on the cars, and all the different states they were from. Almost 20, if I remember correctly, and Linda said we would be turned away.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

At first, we mostly looked around. I remember thinking, that someone should pinch me. Here I was at the Field. The same one, where the magical movie, Field of Dreams was made. There was a lot of people. They were playing baseball. Not an organized game, more like "batting practice. People would take turns pitching, and there was a line, if you wanted to hit. We wern't sure what to do at first, so we just watched.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-14-2008 at 05:42 PM.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We finally got in the line, so we could bat. The first picture is Kevin. If I remember correctly, once you hit the ball, you could run the bases, and then you had to get back in line, so you could hit again. It was so orderly. Everyone was so friendly, and just happy to be playing on this magical Field.

The 2nd and third photos here are of my brother Douglas. I wish that I could show you how far he hit it. Naturally, everyone was trying to hit it in the "Corn". Yes, there was corn, lots of it in the outfield.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 07-14-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Douglas then asked if he could pitch for a while. That was fine with the last pitcher, since he wanted to take his turn at batting. I remember that I was in line to hit when Douglas was on the mound. I hit the ball up the middle, and barely made it to first. I run so slow. It was fun. I hit the ball on the "Field of Dreams' That was a thrill for me. I wish that I had a picture of me batting.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

While Kevin, and Douglas were playing catch, a little later in the outfield, we ran into another father and son, who "were having a catch". We talked about the movie. We found out that they had traveled from Illinois also. Schaumberg to be exact, which is just northwest of Chicago. How ironic is that.?

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now you can't travel all the way to Iowa, and visit the "Field", and not walk in the corn.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We all had a turn sitting on the swing that was a focal point in the movie. I remember Karin and Annie sitting on that swing. "Ray, Dinner".

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That's a picture that I took while I was on the porch of the Kinsella (Lansing) house. It was Ray, Annie, and Karin Kinsella in the movie. The owner of the farm was Don Lansing,

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We actually met Don Lansing. He reminded me a little of Kevin Kostner, who played Ray Kinsella in the movie. I bought a post card, and asked him to sign it. I also bought an ear of corn, a t-shirt, hat, a few more other souvenirs. They have a prominent spot in my house. There was a small souvenir stand close by the Field.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We posed for a few Pictures in front of the sign that they had there. We also put a donation in the box that was there. You see, it really is like the movie. You plow under your crop to build a ball field, and it's hard to pay the bills. Actually there was really two different farms involved in the movie site. It's just the Lansing Farm that owned most of it, and they were the owners of the house used in the movie. We donated to both farms.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now if you have seen the movie, you must remember the Bleachers. They make you think of Ray watching the ballplayers playing on his field. They remind you of the speech where Terrence Mann told Ray, "they will most definitely come" They remind you of Karin eating a hot dog, and falling, and Moonlight Graham crosses over into reality and saves her. it even reminds you of Mark finally seeing the ballplayers, and telling Ray, "not to sell his farm'.

Pop Century Resort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast