Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

RB's Baseball Question Thread

I'd really like the opinion of MC baseball fans on a variety of issues. So, here we go - the first five, with more to come in the days that follow.

1) Should the first round (LDS) series be expanded to a best of seven?

(My answer) Yes. It's a better test of which is the best team. And no, it's not "sour grapes" after the Angel loss.

2) Did you agree, in concept, with Mike Sciosia's call for a squeeze bunt in the ninth inning of game 4?

EDIT: Yes. If Aybar gets the bunt down, most people are saying "what a great call".

3) Do you like "instant replay" as it's being used right now, essentially to determine whether home run calls are accurate?

Yes. But I'd also like to see it used for calls on the bases, at least in the playoffs. Maybe eventually they could go to an NFL-like "challenge" system.

4) Will be the Dodgers be able to keep Manny Ramirez for next season?

No. I don't the the McCourts will be able to afford what Manny will be asking for.

5) Are the seasons of the league's "best" teams, the Cubs and Angels, to be considered "failures"?

I hate to say it but, yes. For two teams with World Series aspirations to be out again in the first round, with just one win between them, I'd have to say yes.

-- Barry

Your opinions, please!
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 10-07-2008 at 08:31 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: RB's Baseball Question Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

No. Winning 3 games should be enough. The longer you stretch it out the more chances you'll be getting games snowed out in November
    2) Did you agree, in concept, with Mike Sciosia's call for a squeeze bunt in the ninth inning of game 4?

Yes. But it was Aybar, not Kendrick. It was a good pitch to bunt, Aybar flat out blew it.
    3) Do you like "instant replay" as it's being used right now, essentially to determine whether home run calls are accurate?

Yes. Home runs only is perfect, I don't want games to be 4 hours long looking at every play at first base.

They have to. What other player is going to raise attendence like Manny did over the past 2 months? Dodgers would be criminally stupid not to give him at LEAST a 2 year deal. He has turned this team from a sub-.500 team to a serious contender.

5) Are the seasons of the league's "best" teams, the Cubs and Angels, to be considered "failures"?

Yes. 196 wins between them and only 1 win in the playoffs. Great years, horrible finishes.
    Good thread Barry. You know I'm willing to talk baseball any month of the year.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Absolutely, the more games the better. The LDS is weighted just as much as the LCS, there should be an equal amount of games.

Yes. Suicide squeeze bunts are already underutilized, but like any strategy they can backfire.

Yes. But let it stay to calls that are black or white like if something is a home run or not.

Yes. We're talking about the Dodgers not the A's.

No, too many flukes can happen over the course of 5 or 7 games. I think 162 games is much more indicative of a team's skill, especially given how teams go on hot and cold streaks all the time.

No.. I like the best of 5 for the first round. Its do or die then.

Excellent call. Shows the grits of a good manager. one that is willing to take chances for the win. Now Aybar should have made some type of contact... or through your self in front of the ball and take an interference, but dont let that runner get caught up in the hit and run.

For home runs, its ok. Definitely dont want to see it for other calls. That is what makes baseball, baseball. The human element.

Yes. Like aashee stated, He turned this team around and made it a team. The attendance is up, the hope is up, everything is gelling with him in there.

Yes they are. 162 games during the season is just the warm up. You can play well all season, but if you dont have it in the post season, what good was your 100 wins in the season? Just ask the Patriots.
    When hinges creek in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, Whenever candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still, That is the time when ghosts are present practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion!

• Circle of Ancients

Yes. Often times, a team of rookies has jitters for the first game or two. If they lose both, their already down 2-0.

Yes. Reggie would have made it if aybar connected He's too fast to be caught.

I think for the playoffs, they need to step it up, like in football. The coach should be able to challenge a play and have the ump review it on TV. I.e. Game 2 Frankie picked off the guy on second by a mile, but he was called safe, and ended up giving the Red SOx the lead.

Yes, but only if they make it to the World SEries. If the philies beat em here, who knows.

Totally. IF you can play baseball all year great, and not play in October, then you got some issues to work out.
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• Circle of Ancients

No. The longer the season goes, the more chance we will have rain-outs or snow-outs if the World Series is in a colder environment. I actually say shorten the season by about 2 or 3 weeks and allow more than 4 teams into the playoffs. I'd like it expanded to 6 per league with the 2 top teams per league getting a "Bye" series.
    The first series would be a best of 3 (to not give the bye-teams TOO long of a break). Then the 2nd series could be seven, the "CS" could be 7 and the WS could be 7.

In concept ... absolutely. Although there was no threat of a double-play and he did have Figgins coming up next. But your right, if Aybar hits the ball (the idiot) and the Angels score, then win, Mike is being praised. But everybody knew it was coming, and there is something about leaving a play that important on when the other team knows it's coming.

Agreed, I'd like it to go to a challenge type system. Not for called strikes, but for outs, tag-outs, etc. At least in the playoffs.

It depends. If the Dodges manage to win the WS, they will be much more inclined to keep him. I'm certainly hoping so. He actually really seems to be enjoying being in LA, the fans, the park, the team, the manager.

Yes. Winning 100+ games in the regular season, and not getting past the first round of the playoffs is a failure. Just like the Patriots not winning the Super Bowl last year was a failure.

• Senior Minion

No. Although a five game series can be won a team "on a hot streak" (in theory), if you're a good team, you have to show up and play.

Of course. Aybar was the best bunter on the team, and they needed to manufacture a run. Missing the ball completely is inexcusable.

Not really, at least in the playoffs, when there are umpires in the outfield anyhow. The last thing I want to see is an instant replay appeals process that brings the entire game to a halt the way it does in football.

Maybe. With Manny, you can never count on anything. If he doesn't go to the Yankees (and I think it'd be a mistake for him if he does), he could stay in LA. I think a large part of his success the second half of the season was his relationship with Torre.

No. Well, half and half. I do not consider the Angels a failure. They played four extremely hard and close games. What I do question is how good they truly were winning 100 games, but in a very weak division.

• Disney Fan

Yes, It takes the luck out of it. Better teams are deeper and in a long series that comes out.

Yes, It was a good call. I thought that at the time of the play and still do.

Yes.

I hope so. Being a Yankee fan LA is the best place for him. Stay away from the Bronx. He's done enough damage in NY.

Most definitely. If you ask Sweet Lou or Mike they will say so. Your expectations rise with your record.

• Rides against injustice

No. Whether its best of 5 or best of 7 the better team almost always wins. If you cant beat a team 3 times what makes you think you can beat them 4 times?

Playoffs are do or die and if he felt there was a chance to scratch out a run, then he had to go for it. I place more fault on the batter than the manager in that situation

Keep it at HR's only. I mean how do you penalize a team for a failed challenge? Make them start an inning with an out?

I think at this point its 50-50...If Manny is serious about peace of mind and just playing where he is happy he will stay here. If he doesnt resign I expect him to goto one of the NY teams

Yes. The goals for both teams was to win the World Series. 100 and 96 win seasons look great in the record books but "It dont mean a thing, without the ring"
    Last edited by Zorro825; 10-08-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Followup response and question on the use of instant replay.

In the playoffs only...

What about calls like the one in the '85 World Series at first base (Don Denkinger) that KC fans say cost them the title?

Or a play at the plate, like Colorado's Matt Holliday against the Padres last year (I realize that technically was a regular season game).

Instead of the challenge system, baseball could have someone in the press box for a "booth review" at their discretion.

The stakes are just too high, and the technology now to good, to put up with a bad call.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

OK gang, here's another five questions for you.

NLCS - Dodgers-Phillies...."Who Ya Got", and why, and in how many games?

As you know I'm not a Dodger fan, but I have to go with the blue here. Derek Lowe is money in the playoffs, and with their bullpen, the game is often over by the seventh. And yes, Manny - and Rafael Furcal will certainly make his presence known.

A tough series...Dodgers in seven.

ALCS - Red Sox-Rays...Who Ya Got? (same as above)

I'm tempted to go with the Red Sox, but I've been wrong about Joe Maddon's Tampa team all year. The Rays are good everywhere, and Boston's banged up. And what a story they've been! I like the Rays to win it in game 6 in that awful "Trop" dome. Wonder if Maddon's been on the phone to mentor Mike Scisosia for squeeze bunt tips...(sorry)

Was FOX's Tim McCarver out of line in bringing up Manny's last days in Boston?

I don't often agree with him, but you know how I feel about Manny, regardless of what he has done with LA. So no, he was not out of line - especially since he'll be working the series for FOX and can be accountable (don't forget, Vin Scully for six innings on radio folks...and the mute button for your TV....)

Has Tampa Bay shown that with the right management, plan and blueprint, even the so-called have-nots like KC, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati can be competitive again?

Sure seems to me that they have.

You're the Angels, and you're looking at having to re-sign Vlad, K-Rod, and Texeira for big money. What would be your priority list, if you're Tony Reagins and Arte Moreno?

1) Texeira (hitting, power and glove)

2) Vlad (Can still perform well at least in the regular season)

3) K-Rod (Yes, even after 62 saves. And we'll never forget how you came upon the scene and helped us win in '02).

Where have you gone, Scott Spiezio, we turn our lonely eyes...to you...woo woo woo....

• Rides against injustice

I think this has the potential to be a really good series. I'm a huge Dodger fan but I will not jinx them by going on the record making a prediction. All I will say is GO BLUE!!!

Another series that should be really good. The Rays won the season series but like we've soon so far that means nothing in the playoffs. Still, Tropicana is a heck of a place to play and the Rays thrive there. I think they have what it takes to knock the Sox out of the playoffs
    Rays in 7

This link from Baseball Prospectus pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole "Manny quit in Boston" situation
    https://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1052

A quote:
    Four days before he was traded, Manny Ramirez just about single-handedly saved the Red Sox from getting swept by the Yankees, with doubles in the first and third innings that helped the Sox get out to a 5-0 lead in a game they had to win to stay ahead of the Yankees in the wild-card race.
    If all of the above is “refusing to play,” I would sincerely like to see what “trying” looks like. It would be entertaining to see a player post a .600 OBP or .800 SLG.
    Has Tampa Bay shown that with the right management, plan and blueprint, even the so-called have-nots like KC, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati can be competitive again?

YES!

You're the Angels, and you're looking at having to re-sign Vlad, K-Rod, and Texeira for big money. What would be your priority list, if you're Tony Reagins and Arte Moreno?

1) Texeira (hitting, power and glove)

2) Vlad (Still one of your superstars)

3)K-Rod (62 saves or not, he's not worth the kind of money he is going to demand. Plus dont forget that after Bobby Thigpen set the old saves record his body began to break down and many felt it was from the over use in his record season.)
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

Dodgers. Philidelphia hasn't been spectacular this season, and I think we could be seeing some blue in the World Series. I say Dodgers in 6.

Rays. They had complete control over the White Sox, and the Red Sox's wins against the angels were more on angel mistakes than Red Sox brilliance (No matter what TBS says). I think Joe Maddon can tame the Sox in 5.

No Reply. Don't know about this situation.

Very much so. The future of baseball is in the hands of the teams that enrich their minor league teams (i.e Angels, Rays, Orioles, Royals, Diamondbacks, Padres, Mets). Teams that have stockpiled the veterans will be dust once their vets retire (i.e Both Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, ect.). Now with the Pirates, they need to stop getting the short end of the stick in trades (The Manny Bay Power Triangle.)

1.) Tex: Kendry Morales isn't quite seasoned enough yet to be a starting first baseman, and you can't skip probably the best overall 1st baseman (Batting and fielding) up. I think Tex would rather stay with the Angels than go back to a team like the Braves or the Rangers, which haven't seen October baseball in years.

2.) Vlad: He needs some rest, but remember how terrible he started the year? He changed the tables and ended the season over .300. If he can stay healthy enough to not be DH'ing for the next 5 years, i think he's a good asset and a good veteran presence for a fairly young Angels ball club.

3.) K-Rod: After Scot Shield's horrible ALDS game 1, i think he really bounced back, and showed how good of a late innings pitcher he can be. If he can get a little more speed from the fastball (95), he could easily take Frankie's Role. Arredondo has been great, and he could even take the closer role as well. The Angels have so deep bullpens with their rookies that they can't pass them up. JAson Buldger rocks my socks, and O'day brings a twist with his submarine windup. K-Rod has replacements if they choose not to resign him.
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm going Phillies in 7. The fact that Cole Hamels could start 3 of the games makes the difference for me. He's the best starter left in the NL.

Sox in 6. Every game in the 2nd half they kept asking the Rays if they deserve to be there. Unfair with how well they've played. I'll be rooting hard for the Rays but I just don't see it happening.

Of course it's fair. That's exactly what the public wants to know. I mean how many time can you ask Manny if he likes it here in LA?

It only shows that if the fans respond and they continue to win. I'm sad to say, I don't think the people in Tampa will ever support them. They deserve it this year.

1) Tex, everything else who cares. KRod, Garland, Garrett and Rivera can all go. Tex is the man this team needs.

2) Vlad - We hold the option on him so it's a decision of keeping him, negotiations don't matter. I say we should keep him. He makes Tex better in the lineup and vise-versa.

3) K-Rod - Thanks for the 62 saves but another team needs you more. In fact, I'd rather have the first rounds picks for him then give him a huge deal.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

No. The postseason is long enough as it is since the creation of the Central division and the wildcard.

Totally. And as others have said, it should be used in base-running/fielding as well. I've seen too many tags where the runner was clearly tapped with the ball or the fielder had their foot on the bag and thus the batter was definitely out.... called safe because the umpire was in a bad position to see what actually happened.And vice versa.

Dodgers. I don't know why. I say they get it in 5.

ALL THE WAY RAYS! They've proved you don't need a bunch of overpaid big names to win a pennant. They spent pretty much the entire 2nd half of the season in 1st place. I saw a shirt today that pretty much sums it up: "We defeated a LEGACY and took down the Red Sox Nation". The "Legacy" of course is the Yankees. 9=8! And I think the Rays will take it in 4. We played quite well against the Red Sox this season. If the Sox want it, they're going to really have to fight for it because the Rays will not back down easily. I'm glad we get the first 2 games in St Pete this weekend. The Rays have played phenomonally at home. Let those cowbells ring!

Absolutely! Like I mentioned in my last answer, it just proves you don't need a bunch of overpriced egos to get the job done. A-Rod's salary could pay the ENTIRE salary of the all the Rays... and still have $3 million left over. What I love about the Rays is they are as home-grown as you can get. Most of their players have been in their farm system at one point or another. My mom watched BJ Upton play ball for the Rays former low Class-A team that was in Battle Creek, MI (Battle Creek Rays). Evan Longoria is just a 22 year old rookie but man that kid can play! Carl Crawford is the "old veteran" of the team, having been there for 7 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast