Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Talkin' Baseball - the 2008-09 "Hot Stove League"

That's an old baseball term, referring to snow-bound fans warming themselves 'round the old hot stove, and talking about the grand old game during the dark days of the off season.

Well, i's upon us once again. Here's a placer to talk about your favorite team, or baseball in general, during the offseason.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Missing an Angel

Re: Talkin' Baseball - the 2008-09 "Hot Stove League"

Well so it seems that the Angels will not pick up Garret Anderson for next year. I always thought he might play his whole career as an Angel, but it looks as though he will be somewhere else next year.

Teixeira, Garland, Rivera, and Oliver filed for free agency so far.

I reallly hope they pick up Tex and Oliver. Who else are they going to play at first base after they let Kotchman go? Oliver has shown that he can pitch really well. Possibly the perfect setup man for Shields as a closer? After all, it's only a matter of time that K-Rod files for free agency and moves on, IMO.

Also the Angels decided to keep Lackey and Guerrero. And Guerrero FINALLY agreed to have surgery on his bad knee. Now next year Mike can hopefully play him in right more than DH him.

This will be an interesting off season. I'm really interested to see where Manny will end up.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think Texeira will be staying. I heard this from my cousin who knows someone who knows the Angels President. But like any situation like this, it could be total rumor. One can only hope...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I like the idea of Garrett being a free agent. If we resign him, it's be for a low base-high incentive contract. Angels have a thing for finding average relievers and making them solid set-up guys so I'm not worried about losing Oliver.

I'd HATE to lose Teix however there is a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow. If they go to The Yanks or BoSox they will paying a huge chunk of their salary towards something that isn't their biggest pressing need, hitting. Also we will get 2 first rounds draft pick as compensation for losing him. On top of the draft picks we'll get for Krod that will make for a solid crop of prospects giving us some farm strength in 2013.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy Pirate View Post
    Well so it seems that the Angels will not pick up Garret Anderson for next year. I always thought he might play his whole career as an Angel, but it looks as though he will be somewhere else next year.

This will be an interesting off season. I'm really interested to see where Manny will end up.
    Most Southern Californians seem to love Manny as much as I despise him. The Dodgers will (and should) make every effort to keep him, and I'll be surprised if they don't have him for 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't think Texeira will be staying. I heard this from my cousin who knows someone who knows the Angels President. But like any situation like this, it could be total rumor. One can only hope...
    I really hope the Angels keep him too. But he will have no shortage of potential suitors. Somebody on ESPN News said today that the Orioles might also make a bid, and he is a Maryland native.

I love G.A. too but he has made it clear that he dosen't want to DH, and to me he's been a liability in the outfield for years now. Let him walk IMHO.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Over here in the Rays camp, Rocco Baldelli & Eric Hinske filed for free agency. I read in the paper yesterday the Rays are already working on a deal to keep Baldelli on (probably as the full-time DH so he can play every day). Luckily, most of our guys are locked into long-term contracts.

• Senior Minion

Looking over the free agents this year, the three big ones will be Texeira, Sabathia, and Manny.

I don't see how any team, even the Yankees, can afford more than one of those at the money Boras is going to command.

I can see them going to Boston, the Mets and the Yankees, respectively, but there is a part of me that would like to see some other teams get involved and perhaps bring more "parity" in to baseball.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Rumor has it due to the economy, Bud Selig has requested all the teamns do everything they can to keep the ticket prices the same. If that is the case, this year's free agent market may be a whole different ball game.

• MC State Comptroller

My hunch is that Manny will end up back east. That's where the payroll is, and that is the most important thing to him. I am feeling one of the NY teams.

I would love the Dbacks to get Tex, but that is not gonna happen. I think Johnson is retiring this year (finally???) if that's the case, the dbacks are gonna look to shore up their pitching, which they need to do, but they also need solid hitting to get guys on bases.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

The Rays GM Andrew Friedman has been named the Sporting News Executive of the Year!

• Is it summer yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Looking over the free agents this year, the three big ones will be Texeira, Sabathia, and Manny.

I don't see how any team, even the Yankees, can afford more than one of those at the money Boras is going to command.

I can see them going to Boston, the Mets and the Yankees, respectively, but there is a part of me that would like to see some other teams get involved and perhaps bring more "parity" in to baseball.
    Don't forget to add K-Rod to that list! Somebody please take him! I'm tired of watching him (great or not), I don't like him.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

The Yankees declined Giambi's 2009 option!

• Missing an Angel

The Dodgers offered Manny a 2 year deal for just over 50 million with an undisclosed 3rd year option.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy Pirate View Post
    The Dodgers offered Manny a 2 year deal for just over 50 million with an undisclosed 3rd year option.
    Boras is looking for a 6 year deal for Manny. I think this may be the best he'll find considering Manny has sabatoged both teams he played for before the Dodgers.

Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast