Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Radiobarry's Visit to Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

On August 29, 2008 I left for New York City and what was to be a whirlwind, once-in-a-lifetime baseball fan's dream visit, first to Yankee Stadium, then to Cooperstown to see the Hall of Fame, then home by the night of September 2nd.

As the rocker Meat Loaf reminds us, "Two out of Three Ain't Bad"...

In any case, I am finally ready to begin sharing some of my Hall of Fame photos, a few at a time.

I'm still planning an NYC/Yankee Stadium trip report at a slightly later time.

In any event, On Monday, September 1 I left my motel in Syracuse and made my way upstate to Cooperstown. It was Labor Day.

On the outskirts of the village, I tuned into the local info radio channel, which told me the best way to make my way in, was by trolley.

You will note I made it in on the last day of the peak season.

The trolley drops you off in front of a park, where you are greeted by the writer the village is named after...

I have to admit, Mr. James Fenimore Cooper, that the most I know about the "Last of the Mohicans" is that one of my favorite movie and TV show characters, "Hawkeye"
    of M*A*S*H fame, was named after someone in your book.

I have since purchased a copy and promise to read it.

But I digress...

On to the National Baseball Hall of Fame next door...

You have to love the fact that if you missed that morning's USA Today, or couldn't access espn.com, no matter. Just look in the windows.

(Sorry about the reflecions, especially the one of the guy with the camera)

It's a beautiful day for a ball game, for a ball game, today...

Many, many pictures in the days to come. I just had to get this started, finally.

I will tell you that the drive between Syracuse and Cooperstown, New York is one of the more beautiful and serene I've ever taken (except, of course, when I'd miss a turn and the GPS lady in my rented car would let me know about it!).

Nothing but greenery and farmhouses as far as the I can see...especially when it's Labor Day and not mid-January, I suppose.

In any event, your comments and reflections are most welcome here - whether you have visited this great shrine to our national pastime, or not.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• "I Break Things"

Re: Radiobarry's Visit to Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

The Baseball Hall of Fame is one of many places I have yet to see. I hope that at some point I can be in your shoes; walking around, taking it all in, and enjoying a game that I was never that great at playing! In honesty I would probably drive my wife nuts because I would read every display!

Great TR so far, I look forward to the rest.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Great start Barry!! Looking forward to seeing more!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Iron-Clad Allie

So far sooooo super, Barry. The outside of the National Basebal Hall of Fame and Museum building really captures your attention. Can't wait for you to take us on a photo tour. I can already tell that this report is going to be a grand slam, slugger.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I am so anticiapting this thread. The combo of a well craft Barry TR and a place I'm dying to go to makes for a report I wouldn't miss.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

As you might expect, you see a lot of this man at the Hall.

And I couldn't help but notice these...

So here I am 3,000 miles from home...to find out that Babe Ruth once hit a ball 550 feet, in a "barnstorming" game against a team led by Walter Johnson, in the North Orange County oil town of Brea - less than 10 miles, maybe, from where the "Big A" and the "DLR" stand today.

Here's a story on the historic day from Chris Dufresne of the LA Times, just last June...

Careful examination of an old photograph and a street map determined this had to be the spot – or at least near the spot.

It’s all tract homes now, the memories buried beneath cul-de-sacs just downslope from the intersection of Brea Boulevard and Lambert Road, but something special happened here a long time ago.

Did anyone know?

A man, on a Saturday, was washing his car on St. Crispen Avenue when a reporter approached and posed the question, half expecting a “what-the-?” response.
    Barry Ghrist, instead, set aside his wash rags and smiled.

He looked down at his driveway.

“I’m guessing we’re standing close to second base, right on the edge of the infield,” Ghrist said.
    Ghrist knew.

On Oct. 31, 1924, in Brea, an oil town in north Orange County, on ground now beneath Ghrist’s feet, Babe Ruth swatted two home runs against Walter Johnson.
    -- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Goofy

wow wonderful pictures. thanks radiobarry.

• Iron-Clad Allie

What a BABE!

Seriously, his athletic abilities to this day remain something that most all modern day players use as a benchmark and desire to imulate and out perform. The aspect of his record that nobody will ever supercede is Ruth's big heart and shimmering integrity that single handedly cleaned up a sport that was seemingly filthy and corrupt behond repair. His imposing stature was nothing compared to what existed on the inside. He stood up (honestly and in ernest) to the same kind of self-important power wielding crooked creeps that exist today .. and beat them down!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-18-2009 at 02:38 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    What a BABE!

Seriously, his afhletic abilities to this day remain something that most all modern day players use as a benchmark and desire to imulate and out perform. The aspect of his record that nobody will ever supercede is Ruth's big heart and shimmering integrity that single handedly cleaned up a sport that was seemingly filthy and corrupt behond repair. His imposing statue was nothing compare to what existed on the inside. He stood up (honestly and in ernest) to the same kind of self-important power wielding crooked creeps that exist today .. and beat them down!
    He remains the single greatest icon in baseball's history, if not indeed the history of all sports.

Many will recall his answer, when he was asked if it was right that his salary was more than that of President Hoover. Sure, he said - "I had a better year".

Thank you, RW and others for the encouraging comments so far. This won't be like the typical 'trip report', in that it won't be done in a day or two. I'm still going through all my pics, believe it or not, and will post them a few at a time, as I can.

I hope the discussion can carry this thread in between!

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

In otherwords, it's an interactive trip report. I like that.

One of the reasons that I have yet to visit Cooperstown New York, is because it appears that an automobile is needed to get there. Since I don't drive, I am at the mercy of others to get me there. My late brother was planning a trip for 1995, and sadly he passed away in December of 1994. Our plan would have been to visit both the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio and then drive on to Cooperstown. I was looking forward to that trip, and it never happened.

Anyway, Barry you visited New York and Cooperstown during my annual trip to the Dells, otherwise, I might have hitched a ride.

• Banned User

wonderful start!! please keep it going .I love Baseball !! thank you Barry for starting this!!!!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Oh, by the way. Just for grins, giggles and education - since I started this thread with the MASH-Hawkeye reference to Mr. Cooper's "Last Of the Mohicans", I have gotten a copy and will read it before this thread is through, and give my "book report" here.

There's lots of literature around baseball, after all.

-- Barry

• love my friends

Love it Barry

Friends for life

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Babe was a big hit with the uh, not-so-big "bambino" set...

And he sure did get around on those "barnstorming" tours...

Meantime, have you seen those space-age hockey goalie-like masks that catchers wear today? The "tools of ignorance" have come a long way, apparently.

Meantime, here is something that appeared in "Baseball" magazine in the 1940's or 50's, I guess...something to chew on, you might say...

Why, I just never knew. And here I thought they chewed tobacco all that time.

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember when we were kids, we were always super excited when they showed the Babe Ruth Story on television. It really wasn't a very good movie with William Bendix as Babe Ruth. However, the baseball footage was fun, and the story was a little corny, and we ate it up.

My favorite has always been Pride of the Yankees, where Babe Ruth played himself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast