Thread: MLB Network

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

MLB Network

Has anyone watched the new MLB Network yet? They've had some pretty good programming so far. They of course show old World Series games, as well as general baseball Hot Stove news. They also have the Ken Burns documentry "Baseball" on. They have a few other good shows, Prime 9 which has various countdowns to start arguements between fans. Recently I watched a show on the entire 1986 season, which since I was only seven at the time, it was great to have something to show everything that went on. They have that show for pretty much every season I think, but that's the only one I've watched.

So, what do you think of MLB's attempt to match the NFL Network and NBA TV?

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• or CBF

Re: MLB Network

I started watching on Launch Day, 1/1, but I really haven't watched since. I think I will start watching more often when the World Baseball Classic starts in March.

I hope good things become of MLBN. After all, they did take away the only good thing the Padres had going for them, Matt Vasgersian.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I spent a good chunk of last weekend watching the 2006 postseason (when my Tigers made it to the World Series and then blew it). I watched game 4 of the ALCS and games 1 & 2 of the World Series. They've shown 1 or 2 Rays postseason games too. One was from the ALDS I think. But they were on when I was at work and I forgot to set the DVR to record.

So far I'm liking MLB Network. I just wish they'd show even older World Series like from the 70's & 80's. 1984 would be awesome (heh!). I did see some 1990 Series highlights last week, which was pretty cool.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I only have 5 words to say: Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

They really need to change the name back to Anaheim Angels. Poor team is suffering from a sever identity crisis.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They really need to change the name back to Anaheim Angels. Poor team is suffering from a sever identity crisis.
    Honestly the team continues to win and they have an owner that actually cares unlike Disney when they owned the team. You either root for the team or you don't and if bugs you that much, root for the NFL Los Angeles Team. Whoops.

Anders, can't wait for the MLB network. I sure hope my dish network gets it.

• Rides against injustice

I LOVE MLB NETWORK!!
    "Baseball Seasons" and "Prime 9" are my favorite shows. I just hope they show more seasons because so far they are starting to repeat them too often.
    My favorite "special" so far though has been "Epic Moments".
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Honestly the team continues to win and they have an owner that actually cares unlike Disney when they owned the team. You either root for the team or you don't and if bugs you that much, root for the NFL Los Angeles Team. Whoops.

I don't like the LA name either, but that was the team's original name, they were only the Anaheim Angels for a handful of years ('98-'03), and...it's Arte Moreno's team. Let's get over it already.

I like the MLB network...the "Hot Stove" show is well done, and I thought Harold Reynolds did a good job when he was at ESPN.

Vasgersian is quite good. I've heard him do the Padres, as well as the NFL and even BCS on FOX.

On DirecTV, the NFL Network is on 212, the MLB on 213, and the NHL Network is on 215.

For NBA-TV, Channel 601, you have to subscribe to the "regional sports" package, separately of course. I didn't find it to be as good as the other three, anyhow.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Goofy

when the disney owned the angels back then, they really didn't care for the team? I didn't know that.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    when the disney owned the angels back then, they really didn't care for the team? I didn't know that.
    It's not that they didn't care for them, they didn't put any effort towards bettering the team after the Mo Vaughn bust. They won the World Series by a fluke because Disney just wanted to sell them.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's not that they didn't care for them, they didn't put any effort towards bettering the team after the Mo Vaughn bust. They won the World Series by a fluke because Disney just wanted to sell them.
    If you go back to the notes released from the trial where the city took the Angels to court, you find out some of the things Michael Eisner thought about naming the team...like the "Avenging Angels of Anaheim", or the "Devilish Angels of Anaheim".

I will take the current name over those, thank you.

And I still think that Arte, the billboard guy, had those "City of Angels" signs up all over LA, including one at the corner of Elysian Park and Sunset Blvd...

I think in both hockey and baseball, Disney brought in the teams to help their campaign to brand "Anaheim" as a resort town, in conjunction with their other plans of the mid to late 90's.

The blue uniforms, the marimba band, the cheerleaders, the ear-splitting music - Disney, yes, baseball no.

Best thing they did...the red uni's. Best look the team's ever had - and I do think that had at least a very small part in the magic of 2002.

BACK ON TOPIC...

Anybody seen the 30 in 30 Series? An hour on each team in camp over 30 days...with the hosts, and either Harold Reynolds or Mitch Williams (good) and a former GM, John Hart.

I think on balance it's well done but I could do with less of the puff-piece, clliche-filled player interviews.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.