Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Cactus and Grapefruit - Spring Training 2009

Time to turn off the hot stove for another year.

Spring training will soon be in full swing, with the World Baseball Championships providing an interesting twist, and delaying the start of the regular season by a week. The World Series starts on November 1 this year.

For the first time in 60 years-plus, there are no Dodgers in Vero Beach. They are starting out in a state of the art new facility in Arizona.

Mabe soon the actual play on the field can chase the "juicer" stories from the headlines for a bit.

Well, we can dream.

So cactus or grapefruit, this is the place to talk spring training baseball!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Cactus and Grapefruit - Spring Training 2009

I can't wait til the games start. Very interesting year already, after CC, Teix & Burnett signed the money just wasn't there like years past. I'm sure there will be hints of collusion but times are tough so ballplayers can't back up the Brinks truck anymore unless they are superstars.

• Rides against injustice

There might be collusion or maybe baseballs owners are just tired of being suckered into signing medicore players for the big bucks.

I'm hopefully going to make it out to Arizona to watch the Dodgers play in late March. I wish I couldve made it out to Vero Beach before they closed Dodgertown but oh well.

As much as I love the fact that they are closer to home, I do hate that they left such a historic Spring Training home that was their very own, to share one with the White Sox. When they first announced the move, I was hoping it would be like a Dodgertown West or something..
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've already been to Joker Marchant in Lakeland to catch some Tigers workouts. I posted in the other thread I got pics with Curtis Granderson & Dusty Ryan. Sadly no chance to make the 200 mile drive to Port Charlotte to see the new Rays camp (which I heard is really nice).

I'm going to my first spring training game this coming Saturday... Rays vs Phillies here in Clearwater (I live like 2 or 3 miles from the Phillies camp). GO RAYS!

Then next week I'll be seeing the Tigers play the Phillies again in Clearwater. GO TIGERS!

The following week I'm supposedly going with my work to see the Rays play the Blue Jays in Dunedin (last I heard they still hadn't bought the tickets though so that might not pan out even though they knew to buy the tickets weeks ago). But I'm for sure going to Lakeland to see the Tigers play the Blue Jays. Again... GO TIGERS!

Then 2 weeks after that I'll be in Lakeland again to see the Rays play the Tigers. That'll be an interesting one because the BF is coming along and we'll be rooting for the Rays, while my parents will be rooting for the Tigers. GAH! My mom & I are already nutty enough when we go to ballgames. LOL! GO RAYS!

• Missing an Angel

So A-Roid gets booed big time. Hits a 2 run homer and walks twice. I have a feeling that the riod issue he's facing is going to motivate him this year. Until October...

Oh, and my Angels romped 12-3 against the White Sox.

Tigers won 5-4 against the Braves. Verlander & Miner both pitched 2 scoreless innings.

Rays lost 7-0 against the Reds. Carlos Hernandez (never heard of him) pitched 2 scoreless innings and Jason Hammels had a good outing as well. Some guy named Randy Choate (probably a minor-leaguer) gave up a grand slam in the 5th. No idea why the Rays were starting a bunch of unknowns. I know Hammels & I guess Hernandez are competing to possibly be the 5th starter in the rotation once they break camp. Most think that role should go to David Price though, but the brass seem to be leaning towards starting him in Durham, then bringing him up later. So there's some tension there. Sorry but you don't do that to your key reliever from the playoffs the previous season. WTF?

2 more days until my first game!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Just drove by the old ballpark today, and it's getting me gitty for Opening Day. I'm so siked about the renovations at Kauffman Stadium!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• or CBF

I'm getting psyched for another abysmal season for my Padres, they beat and tied the abysmal Mariners yesterday and today respectively.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

The Rays POUNDED the Red Sox today 12-4!
    Evan Longoria hit the first Rays homerun this spring.

The Tigers lost to the Blue Jays 6-4.

Can't wait for tomorrow's game!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

While it's great to see games being played, and to have a chance to see some of your favorite team's new and up and coming players, I can think of few things less meaningful than the outcome of spring training games.

Won-lost records provide little if any indication, as to how your team will fare in the regular season.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I can think of few things less meaningful than the outcome of spring training games.
    Ah, but spring baseball is and in itself a mirror of wonder and hope. It is a tme when dreams are still possible; every team still has opportunities before it; and we see the return of the game and our favorite players as sure as the first blossoms of spring.

It is a time for the dreamer in us all to simply celebrate our team and our sport, and to look past the ravagges of winter weather to the sound of a ball hitting a glove and the crack of a bat.

In baseball, hope springs eternal; and spring training has the means to make optimists of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    While it's great to see games being played, and to have a chance to see some of your favorite team's new and up and coming players, I can think of few things less meaningful than the outcome of spring training games.

Won-lost records provide little if any indication, as to how your team will fare in the regular season.

-- Barry
    Oh the '84 Tigers are a testament of that. They had a horrible spring and went on to win the World Series.

But you still want your team to win these games even though they don't count. It still sucks when your team loses.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Oh the '84 Tigers are a testament of that. They had a horrible spring and went on to win the World Series.

But you still want your team to win these games even though they don't count. It still sucks when your team loses.
    And after the horrible spring, the Tigers were 35-5 after the bell rang that season.

There are some nice things about the World Baseball Classic. For one thing, it will give us some meaningful games to watch in March in something besides college basketball!

• Happy Memories

I'm currently involved in a production of the musical Damn Yankees that has been tweaked a bit to represent our producers and local spring training team the Pirates. The team has been awesome to us. They've allowed us to shoot publicity photos at their stadium, they're loaning us uniforms and equipment to use on stage and we have some of their merchandise on sale in our lobby with proceeds going to build our new theater. Most of us in the cast are Rays fans of course, but I have a new found respect for the Pirates after everything they've done for us.

Anyway, getting to the point of my post... We were at their game against the Tigers yesterday to sing the National Anthem. Here are some pics from that experience:

Hall of famer Manny Sanguillen was there too, so we got take a few photos with him as well:

Unfortunately, we couldn't stay to watch the game, because we had to get back and do a matinee performance. It was unseasonably cold though and some friends of mine that were there for the game didn't even stay for the whole thing.

• Circle of Ancients

I didn't know you had to shave off your beard. Like the clean-shaved look.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast