Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Cool For baseball fans...

Do you think they should allow those players from the "steroid" era be allowed to enter the hall of fame..despite getting "help" from a bottle? and not useing their "Naural" ability?

my personal view: they should NOT be allowed but that's my own opinon. your thoughts and opinons please.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: For baseball fans...

That would be a big N-O.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Of course they should be allowed. They were the best of their era, I rufuse to carry my pitchfork and torch when rumor has it 80% of big leaguers were on it during that period.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

• mountains beyond mtns.

In the past, I would've said "no" emphatically. I still might but at the end of the day, I don't feel that juicing up increases your bat speed any bit and I'm sure it doesn't help you identify what sort of pitch is coming and whether it's in the strike zone or not.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm still torn on this.

I'm not sure if it takes away from the past players who did it without performance enhancing drugs. Heck, most of them did it without trainers, and in some cases, they were most likely drunk or hung-over.

I look at it this way:

If Pete Rose can't get in because of gambling, then these players should not get in because of Steriods. That has a MUCH greater impact on the game than what Rose did.

The sad part is, most of the players that are being accused of being users, and are possible hall of famers were already probably going to get in the Hall anyway. I don't think that using the drugs helps you see the ball, or pitch better or hit better, etc. What it does do is prolong your career, and in some cases, allow you to hit more HR's into your 40's.

THAT is the part I don't think is fair, and takes away from those that came before. Bonds would have been a 1st ballot Hall of Famer with no question, but without the roids, he wouldn't have beaten the HR records he has. Same goes for McGuire. There is no doubt in my mind.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If Pete Rose can't get in because of gambling, then these players should not get in because of Steriods. That has a MUCH greater impact on the game than what Rose did.
    Here's where we disagree, maybe I can change your thinking. Steroid usage hurts the game for sure but only because so many people were doing it. If it was found out that 70% players were betting on the games they were playing in and potentially fixing the outcome that would be far more damaging. Once fans start believing that the games are no more than fixed wrestling matches, you've killed the sport.

If like Pete Rose, only one person was doing steriods - it wouldn't be an issue at all expect for the person doing the deed.

• Circle of Ancients

I see your point, and I'll agree that the steroid use was MUCH more rampant than gambling, but that doesn't make it right.

IMO, what kind of example does it send that you can, for all intents and purposes, cheat, and still get the same accolades as those who didn't.

I'm a HUGE baseball fan, just like all of you. I'm also a HUGE fan of the history of the game. I think the history of baseball is as important of a part of "American" history as anything else. And I'd hate to see that tainted so some spoiled rich players could break some records they shouldn't have even been close to because they cheated.

I'm even willing to go as far as to say that any record broken during the "Steriod Era" by a player who is PROVEN to have taken Steroids should be stripped. I don't care that it was "technically" not illegal.

Hank Aaron should get his record back.
    Roger Maris should get his record back (unless it's proven for some reason Sosa didn't take Steriods, then it should be his).

I mean, come on ... don't tell me that Maris' record could stand for 37 years (and Babe's record for 34 years before that) and then all of a sudden, Maris' record get's broken 6 times in a span of 4 years.

i dont like guys cheating.. and i dont think they should be in the hall of fame..
    just do what you think...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Good points as well Gregg. Problem is that MLB and the players union basically ENCOURAGED steriod use by not doing anything about it. While the NBA, NFL and NHL had steriod policy in place, MLB saw it's players gain size & strength and turned their backs.

I hate cheating as well but again, MLB is taking a hit, the Player's Union is getting a free pass and the players are bearing almost all of the heat. It doesn't sit well with me.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with that part Chad. I think the Players union and the MLB are as much to blame. Still doesn't make it right.

The MLB and MLBPA wanted to have something great happen so people would forget about the strike. And in turn, they have made things a million times worse.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I agree with that part Chad. I think the Players union and the MLB are as much to blame. Still doesn't make it right.

The MLB and MLBPA wanted to have something great happen so people would forget about the strike. And in turn, they have made things a million times worse.
    Well, I'd rather see 18 roidsheads on the field than a strike.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As far as baseball history is concerned, from what I understand this is not the first time players have taken substances in order to increase their performance. If I am not mistaken back in the 40s and 50s many players were taking amphetamines to supposedly enhance their performance on the field.

Steroids simply are the latest "drug of choice". Players have been and always will be looking for the latest and greatest thing to improve their game. Something else will come along. Hopefully it won't be as damaging to the body as steroids or amphetamines for that matter.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm watching Outside The Lines, quite an interesting stat they came up with:

Seasons with players hitting 50+ home runs

1920-1994 - In 75 seasons, 18 times a player hit 50 or more Home Runs
    1995-2008 - In 14 seasons, 23 times a player hit 50 or more Home Runs (6 seasons with 60+ HR's)

If that's not telling, not sure what is.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 03-02-2009 at 12:51 PM.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm watching Outside The Lines, quite an interesting stat they came up with:

Seasons with players hitting 50+ home runs

1920-1994 - In 75 seasons, 18 times a player hit 50 or more Home Runs
    1995-2008 - In 14 seasons, 23 times a player hit 50 or more Home Runs (6 seasons with 60+ HR's)

If that's not telling, not sure what is.
    It's not one thing. I saw a special on the harder/lighter bats and that has a lot to do with it. The weightlifting, vitamin suppliments, training programs, personal trainers all add up to stronger ballplayers.

Steriods has a TON to do with it, but it's not the only reason for the home run totals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast