Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2641484950515253546176 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2009

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Baseball 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I don't believe whatever he "tells" me to. I do read and enjoy his columns. But my opinions of Mr. Ramirez were formed long before anything I ever read from Bill Plaschke told me to. And I do resent the implication.

And no, I admittedly am not a stat freak. Baseball is an island, in a sea of statistics.

I do admit the fact that I am having Around the Horn and PTI withdrawals this week...my two favorite sports shows are off this week. I miss them!
    We seem to be polar opposites in terms of sports-interested-bystanders.

You are implying that statistics are the undrinkable water?? I say, become a fish! I find them much more valuable to determine excellence in a player's performance than someone who writes opinions based on his access (or lack of same) to a particular athlete.

And I've already given my take on those two shows (one is awful, the other is meh). So glad I work during the day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

9-game losing streak. We've giving this bullpen ample leads. 6-2, 3-1, 5-4. 6-2 lead and we blow it again. The one time Trey Hillman uses Joakim Soria in the 8th, he brings him in with the bases loaded against a good contact hitter in Figgins.

I'm tired of this bull! No offense to the Angels or the Rays, but geez! We could very well be the hottest team in the 2nd half of the season if it wasn't for our misrable bullpen.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    9-game losing streak. We've giving this bullpen ample leads. 6-2, 3-1, 5-4. 6-2 lead and we blow it again. The one time Trey Hillman uses Joakim Soria in the 8th, he brings him in with the bases loaded against a good contact hitter in Figgins.

I'm tired of this bull! No offense to the Angels or the Rays, but geez! We could very well be the hottest team in the 2nd half of the season if it wasn't for our misrable bullpen.
    There really aren't a lot of good bullpens out there right now, or in recent memory. I remember going through the pain of watching Tanyon Sturtze come out of the pen in '05 and Kyle Farnsworthless in '06, '07 & '08. I know the feeling. You cringe, you shake your head and you wonder why the manager is going to the guy that continually lets the team down. It's not a great moral booster for the team at all.

On another note, what the hell is up with the Pirates? Are they now the official AAAA team for the league. In the last two years, they've traded Nady, Marte, Hinske, LaRoche, Bay and McLouth. Am I missing anyone?

Next up a four game set against Oakland after the Yanks win six straight. I hope the defense and pitching hold up.

• Rides against injustice

I was at the Ravine last night and WOW was that Stadium rocking. What a crazy Hollywood like moment.

Dodgers now 27 games above .500.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post

The Angels never give up, and have been staging comebacks like this a lot lately. It's not like they should be given any credit or anything.

Again, it's really interesting that fans are always so willing to blame their team for a loss, and never give the other team any credit.

But, Rick Sutcliffe on ESPN spun it the same way, so what do I know.

By the way - to the Red Sox - thanks a heap, for all the help against Texas.

Observation...most people think that the AL East is the toughest division, and it probably is. But in the past two weeks, the Rangers have swept both the Rays and Red Sox, and the Angels swept the Yankees.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    I was at the Ravine last night and WOW was that Stadium rocking. What a crazy Hollywood like moment.

Dodgers now 27 games above .500.
    Zorro - I am glad you had a good time.

But you-know-who can hit 1,000 HR's, the Dodgers can go 162-0, and wrap up the Series in 3, and that still won't change my opinion of him.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Zorro - I am glad you had a good time.

But you-know-who can hit 1,000 HR's, the Dodgers can go 162-0, and wrap up the Series in 3, and that still won't change my opinion of him.
    lol!
    i understand your feelings towards him and i respect your opinion. My thoughts on Manny have changed since his suspension. I still root for him to do well because he plays for the Dodgers and I want my team to do well.
    However I dont cheer for him with as much enthusiasm as I did before the suspension. Yesterday was really first time I jumped to my feet and cheered him since he returned.

Funny story about yesterday. There was a Red Sox fan sitting in my row and when Manny walked up to the on deck circle he began yelling at Manny "You lazy a**!! We want our rings back you traitor!! Giving up on the team!!" just going all out. Manny hits the grand slam and the guy just sat down and was queit the rest of the game.
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    lol!

Funny story about yesterday. There was a Red Sox fan sitting in my row and when Manny walked up to the on deck circle he began yelling at Manny "You lazy a**!! We want our rings back you traitor!! Giving up on the team!!" just going all out. Manny hits the grand slam and the guy just sat down and was queit the rest of the game.
    Just to be clear, my opinion wasn't changed by the suspension, only bolstered by it. I have voiced my objections to "Manny being Manny" for several years now.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

History in the making? Mark Buehrle has a perfect game in the 8th against the Rays.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Going to the 9th folks. Perfect game in tact.

• Circle of Ancients

What a great 9th by Buehrle. That catch by Wise, considering the circumstances was probably one of the greatest catches EVER.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Congrats to Mark Buehrle! I was extra happy to see AJ Pierznski didn't catch the game.

Just to be clear, my opinion wasn't changed by the suspension, only bolstered by it. I have voiced my objections to "Manny being Manny" for several years now.

No worries Barry, I remember your posts from last years trade deadline
    Out of the NIGHT....

Congrads to Mark Buehrle! He's on my fantasy team so I'm especially happy right now
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Rock Star Minion

I guess he has to live up to a lot of expectations.
    I'm not sure what you expect of him, though. What do you expect of him? Before you do, though, my rebuttal will be pretty much the same; stop expecting that, and your life will be much less stressful.

I won't waste your time with his statistics of the month before he left the Red Sox (i.e., he didn't quit on the team -- actually management quit on him by not extending his contract). They're just numbers which can easily be manipulated, as opposed to the opinions of people who read opinion columns.
    If you read the paper this morning, you will likely interpret that he disrepected his manager by calling him by his first name, then making him change the lineup to pull himself out of the game. Such a quitter, not wanting to play hurt. And all that Plaschke/Boston-paper-in-owner's-pocket stuff that basically ignores his psychological makeup.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."