Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: RIP Nick Adenhart (Merged Threads)

Wow I am so saddened by this. I have several friends in the minors who are all reeling from the news. Yet another tragedy. My prayers are with his family.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    I was shocked by this. It's truly going to be a tough season for the Angels. First Preston Gomez, now Nick. I'm totally sadden to hear this news. He was young too.
    Again, younger Angel fans - those, let's say, of the Rally Monkey era - may not not remember some of the pain that this at times seemingly "cursed" franchise, and its fans, have endured through the years.

From the LA Times...

The Adenhart accident is just the latest in a string of tragedies that has befallen the Angels. Infielders Chico Ruiz and Mike Miley and pitcher Bruce Heinbechner were all killed in separate car accidents between 1972 and '77, and pitcher Minnie Rojas and catcher Ed Kirkpatrick were paralyzed in car crashes. Outfielder Lyman Bostock was killed in a drive-by shooting while riding in a car with friends in Gary, Ind., during the 1978 season.

Early in the 1992 season, one of two buses carrying the Angels from New York to Baltimore was involved in a crash on the New Jersey Turnpike that left first-year manager Buck Rodgers with a fractured rib, a broken knee and a fractured elbow. And last season, special assistant Preston Gomez was gravely injured when he was hit by a truck at a gas station on his way back from spring training.

Gomez never recovered, dying in January at a Fullerton care center not far from the site of Adenhart's accident this morning. Adenhart was wearing a memorial patch with Gomez's name on it when he took the mound Wednesday night
    I remember all of it, and quite well.

Once again, how very tragic and sad and preventable. We play the Red Sox tomorrow night, but I'm not quite sure if I care about baseball right now.

I cried today for Nick, and for the others involved - at least two from my alma mater Cal State Fullerton - and I never even met any of them.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I watched part of the rebroadcast tonight of last night's first six innings. I had to stop because my head ached so much from holding back tears.

Until today, Lyman Bostock was the only MLB player to be murdered during the baseball season. Given that this scumbag Gallo blew a DUI number, and had a suspended license due to another DUI, I wouldn't be surprised to see him charged with more than vehicular manslaughter.

What a disgusting waste of at least three beautiful lives.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post

Until today, Lyman Bostock was the only MLB player to be murdered during the baseball season.
    OFF TOPIC - People forget how good a player he was. He was a major free agent signing for the Angels before that '78 season. He got off to a very slow start, and made an offer to Gene Autry to repay him for the month's salary.

He went on to have a good season for an Angel team that contended into late September. Bostock was killed when the team was in Chicago, two weeks before the end of the season.

And oh by the way - his killing was a case of mistaken identity. The shooter was looking for another guy.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• For old time sake

I am a mix if sad AND angry.

Sad at the loss of such a promising young pitcher. Sad for the family, sad for the Angels. sad that in addition to Adenhart, 2 other lives were lost and one seriously injured.

Angry at the fact that this guy got behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated. I have nothing against drinking, but when coupled with driving, then I have issues. Angry that he didn't learn his lesson....suspended license for DUI in 2006. ANGRY that he tried to flee.

Still trying to make sense of all of this. Terrible Terrible news.

Sportscenter had a nice tribute to Adenhart on their 11pm broadcast (not sure if they have shown it earlier, but for those of you who are a few hours behind me, it's worth watching. )

May he rest in peace.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I am sure that it will be played prominently, especially in the 10PM Pacific edition that now comes out of LA.

• Banned User

This is really sad and depressing news. There was no reason for this to happen. What pisses me off even more is that the driver had enough guts to fled the scene on foot. I hope this guy is in jail for a very long time. No remorse

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Broke my heart when I read this this morning. Absolutely senseless. People who think one or two drinks don't matter...it just drives me insane.

And then you hear crap like "Friends don't let friends plead guilty." Friends ought to beat the effing crap out of ANY idiot who is trying to drive home after a trip to the bar. And any frigging lawyer who gets him off and back on the street has blood on his or her hands. No question. If your client is an alcoholic, you ought to be fighting to get his license taken AWAY.

He was only 22 years old, had a brilliant day playing major league ball, and now he's gone.

Senseless.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

This is horrible. Made the win meaningless for me as an A's fan.

I am glad they caught the drunk a-hole. I wish they could tie him to a fence and let the Angels have batting practice on him. I am so angry right now.

And how the hell does a MINIVAN hit an SUV, and the drunk jerk in the minivan turn out alright? Life just isn't fair.

God bless and be with Adenhart's family and friends.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• we jumped out a window

PanTheMan, Adenhart and his friends were actually in a Mitsubishi Eclipse, not an SUV.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

His dad was in attendance during his last game and spent time with him before the accident.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

One of Nick's friends that was killed was a communications major at Cal State Fullerton.

That also strikes home with a certain MiceChatter, who had the same major at that school nearly 30 years ago.

Yes, I am angry that this happened. According to the late news, the man had driven from somewhere in LA County, on his way to Covina when for some reason fate placed them at the intersection of Orangethorpe and Lemon. He apparently told the police that he didn't even know how he got to Fullerton.

About 200 yards, we are told, from where Nick and his friends were headed...a night dance club, from what I understand.

Yes, I am angry.

But, there's a part of me that says it's not up to me to judge the man driving the minivan, or anyone else for that matter.

Hopefully, this will stop someone else from making the same tragic decision.

I also wonder if any of our area MCers made it to the makeshift memorial going on all day and all night at the Big A. Anyone take pictures?

• Animation Domination

Very, very sad news words can't express how I feel.
    "You are watching FOX"

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    PanTheMan, Adenhart and his friends were actually in a Mitsubishi Eclipse, not an SUV.
    Ahhh...first report we got up this way was they were in an SUV.

So Sad.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    What a disgusting waste of at least three beautiful lives.
    Just wanted to quote this one for the absolute truth.

Very tragic.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast