• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Broadcaster Harry Kalas passes away

Some sad news today. Longtime Phillies broadcaster, Harry Kalas passed away at 1:20 p.m. ET Monday, shortly after collapsing in the team's broadcast booth before the scheduled series opener against the Nationals.

One of my favorite baseball voices. I'm so glad he got to see and call the Phillies win it all last year. R.I.P. Harry Kalas (1936-2009)
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Broadcaster Harry Kalas passes away

I was suprised the game wasn't postponed. I feel bad for the family, seeing they didn't get a chance to expect something like this and say goodbye.

• Circle of Ancients

How sad, but also kind of fitting maybe? He went out doing what he loved.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

And now we get word that one of the great "characters" of the game, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych has also passed away today.

What a tough opening week overall for the baseball season.

Personal notes, if you don't mind.

I used to have a sports radio show in Ventura, CA. I did a phone interview with Harry Kalas after the death of his longtime partner, Richie Ashburn. That was in 1997. We talked about everything from the Phillies, to his work as "the voice" of NFL Films, to how he started out, etc.

I did an in person interview the next year, on tape, when the Phillies were at Dodger Stadium. What a thrill to meet him. And talk about class - he treated me just the same as he would have Vin Scully, Joe Buck or whomever.

I was devastated when I heard that news today. Second time in less than a week I could be heard to shout "No...No...NO" to my car radio, something I rarely if ever do.

And "The Bird". What a story. The Tigers came to Anaheim in his big summer of 76, but unfortunately we missed him in their rotation.

Just the same, and I saw this at one of the games, for each of the three games the Angels set up a table before the game for fans to get his autograph. And they flocked to him.

What a sad, sad start to the season.

RIP, Harry Kalas and Mark "The Bird" Fidrych.

-- Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 04-13-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Searching YouTube, here's the AP's account of Harry's passing, with his call of the final out of the 2008 World Series.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-su7P6uQoa8]YouTube - Phillies Announcer Harry Kalas Dies at Age 73[/ame]

Harry's son Todd is a member of the Tampa Bay Rays broadcast crew, carrying on the traditions of three generations of Carays, as well as Jack and Joe Buck, and many other "family affairs".
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Harry's son Todd is a member of the Tampa Bay Rays broadcast crew
    This is what I was gonna mention. How great that he not only got to call his team's World Series win, but also that he got to do it opposite his son's team. I'm sure he'll be greatly missed.