Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• mountains beyond mtns.

Re: The Official 2009 NBA Playoff Thread

Quote Originally Posted by findingmickey View Post
    Wow... Varejao wraps his arms around Howard's neck, pulls down with all his weight and Dwight Howard gets the Technical Foul.

Seems like NBA Execs & Corporate America want a Kobe VS LeBron finals. Although it looks like the MAGIC is going to win the EAST.

anyways.. we say, GO LAKERS! Kobe's UNSTOPPABLENESS is UNSTOPPABLE!
    Well, if you can't stop him then you have to trip him. Right, JR Smith? How nice of the league to have upgraded that foul to a flagrant a day after the game.

• Circle of Ancients

I'd like to see a stat of the Technicals called in the playoffs this year as opposed to previous years. It seems like it's a LOT higher this year .

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Finally, Odom and Gasol decide to show up, and for the first time in the series, the Lakers clearly outplay the Nuggets (well, in the fourth quarter at least). Don't worry, the same old Lakers will resurface in Denver, ensuring another game 7 Sunday afternoon of basketball at the Staples Center.

Some of the Laker fans here crack me up...those that seem to think they never actually lose, it's just "bad refs" that cause the other team to wind up with more points nearly half the time.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Unfortunately, it seems like some of the Southern California Laker fans can be some of the least knowledgeable sports fans among our various teams out here.

• Circle of Ancients

I loved the game last night, Kobe only took (and only HAD to take) 13 shots. That's the way they should be playing every game. But, as Barry said, they will be back to their old tricks tomorrow and game 7 will be on Sunday.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Finally, Odom and Gasol decide to show up, and for the first time in the series, the Lakers clearly outplay the Nuggets (well, in the fourth quarter at least). Don't worry, the same old Lakers will resurface in Denver, ensuring another game 7 Sunday afternoon of basketball at the Staples Center.

Some of the Laker fans here crack me up...those that seem to think they never actually lose, it's just "bad refs" that cause the other team to wind up with more points nearly half the time.
    Yeah, well, I have to blame someone

Lakers, IMO, are not aggressive enough when comes their rebounding. They played a good game last night but they can do better.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    Yeah, well, I have to blame someone

Lakers, IMO, are not aggressive enough when comes their rebounding. They played a good game last night but they can do better.
    Bear in mind that I am not a Lakers fan, so I don't really have a horse in this race.

They can't just "mail in" game 6 in Denver, they way they did game 4 of this series, and the way they did games 4 and 6 in Houston.

It's not likely that Denver could come back and win game 7, but it's not out of the question either.

And Cleveland, folks, is not done. Not by a longshot.

I woud say that as inconsistent as they've been, the Lakers would have a tough go in the Finals regardless of who comes out of the East. And I might agree with the earlier post-er who said Orlando would present more matchup problems for them.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

lakers will soon be champions again and lebron will have nothing on kobe bryant. GO LAKERS!!!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleLBC View Post
    lakers will soon be champions again and lebron will have nothing on kobe bryant. GO LAKERS!!!!!
    So, you've already got your spot along the Figueroa St. parade route picked out, do ya?

PS...Welcome to MiceChat, and oiur little Sports Zone!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I know that MiceChat is quiet on the weekends, and that some of the Laker fans here might be at the Gumball Rally.

But I am surprised that I, of all people, am the first one to congratulate the Lakers on their finest performance of the season to date.

I did not get to watch last night's game 6, but when I turned on my car radio and heard the final, I couldn't believe my ears. Not that the Lakers won, of course, but how they did it. By 27 points!

Earlier in the day, I told someone that the Nuggets would win because, as I started, and my wife Kathleen (not a sports fan) finished...the Lakers have the killer instinct of...Mother Theresa.

Who knew???? 119-92.

As the headline in today's LA Times says..."They Finally Arrive".

In his postgame comments, George Karl said it was hard for him...but he congratulated the Lakers...clearly the best team in the conference, and the league, he said.

He made a good point in saying that his Nuggets might have cemented the cracks that were showing in the Lakers game and resolve.

He also joked that whoever on his team was responsible for waking up Lamar Odom, should be fired.

I am rooting for Cleveland tonight to force game 7. I enjoyed Crosby vs. Ovechkin in the Stanley Cup. And I wanna see Kobe and LeBron. I do think also the Lakers would have a better shot against Cleveland.

And I might just show up at that Lakers parade if it happens. I've never been to one, and while I won't be on that bandwagon, I'd just like to be part of something fun in my life right now.

But for now, let me just offer congratulations to the Lakers and their fans for getting back to the Finals.

Oh, and NBC and ESPN say thanks, also. With no game 7, there's a chance some folks may be watching hockey finals game 2, or Dodgers-Cubs tomorrow night.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    So, you've already got your spot along the Figueroa St. parade route picked out, do ya?
    I used to go to the parades in the 1980s, but now I go to the games, and the parades just seem anticlimatic.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I used to go to the parades in the 1980s, but now I go to the games, and the parades just seem anticlimatic.
    If you can afford to go to Laker game(s) these days, you must be Jack Nicholson.

Or an attorney.

Or sit in those "affordable" seats, where the constitution of a mountain goat and a powerful telescope might come in handy.

I'll bet you're in one of those three tiers of luxury suites, which Staples Center (which can't you tell I don't like) stands for.

So, no Kobe vs. LeBron. But Kobe and "Superman" will be on the same stage again in the Finals.

Wasn't that one of Shaq's alter egos back in the day?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Le Bron James has largely taken a beating in the national media today, for walking off the court without shaking hands after the last Orlando game, and blowing off the mandatory press conference.

He kinda-sorta-backhandedly apologized but not really, the other day.

Yes, I know he's a fierce competitor. Yes, I know he's only 24 with six years in the league.

I don't feel as bad about the handshake thing, although I do think it's a class touch the NBA picked up after hockey's done it for a long time.

But to blow off the presser and storm off to the team bus? That's just wrong. You are being paid tens of millions of dollars. You've made your bed with corporate America to have face and/or puppet in all those commercials.

You have to take in the good, and take it when things don't go your way. You are, at least for noiw, the face of the Cleveland franchise.

And you've had a really good image, up til then at least.

Other feelings?

• Circle of Ancients

Barry, I agree and disagree with you on the LeBron thing.

I have a HUGE problem with him not congratulating the Magic on what amounts to a complete but-whipping. The Cavs had 1 good game (Game 5).

He sure wasn't shy on accepting the handshakes from the Pistons and Hawks when his team won.

But worse yet, the next day he came up with some lame excuse as to why he didn't do it. Ridiculous.

As far as the media, I agree with you on this one, but for other reasons. I don't care about the endorsements, etc, etc, etc.

If you are the self-annointed leader of your team, you don't leave the lesser players on your team to answer for you. Period. If your going to take the leadership role, you need to do it in good times and bad. Period. He's not just the face of the Cavs, he's the face of the NBA.

I don't buy the "24 y/o" thing, he's been in the league long enough to know better.

At the end of the day though, this is going to pass for him. This is the first "questionable" thing he's done since he's been in the league. He's a great ambassador for the NBA and he will continue to be so.

As far as the "will he stay in Cleveland" thing, he'd be stupid to go to New York. If he thinks he has no support in Cleveland, he'd get even less in NYC.

However, I don't think he'll stay in Cleveland. I can seriously see him going to a team like Orlando who, despite the fact that they have Howard, will have some room at the end of next season. Can you Imagine LeBron and Howard on the same team???

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Trip report:

The Lakers enjoyed a dominating 100-75 win at Staples Center over the Orlando Magic, and it was a blast. I didn't take a lot of photos, but here are a couple I took.

First quarter action, with Dwight Howard preparing to go to the line.

Hedo Turdglue looks to pass into the post.

Lakers 43-39. This was about the last time the Magic were within striking distance.

This was the halftime entertainment.

Halftime warmups.

Kobe gets hammered on the way to another score.

A guy in our section was the "red car", Tony Turbo, for the stupid Chevron colored car races. We won.

The Laker Girls.

Final score: 100-75. Two Jack in the Box tacos for everyone. They were really bad, but we enjoyed them nonetheless. Let's hope for one more coupon for free tacos on Sunday, then two more wins in Orlando.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast