Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Official 2009 NBA Playoff Thread

Finally, the 82-game prologue is just about over...and now it's time for the seemingly endless, four rounds of best-of-seven series that last two weeks each, known as....THE NBA PLAYOFFS!

Can the Celtics pull it together for a repeat? Are the Lakers as dominant as they've looked at times, or as vulnerable as one of their fourth-quarter leads? Is this the year of the coronation of King James? Or what other surprises await?

Here's the place for your thoughts, predictions and opinions. Hurry, though. I hear the Finals will end before the 4th of July.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: The Official 2009 NBA Playoff Thread

The Trail Blazers host the Rockets tonite(I'll be there) at the Rose Garden. The Blazers are really hot right now winning 10 of their last 11 games......the bad news is, their last loss was to Houston.

If Portland can somehow get by Houston(a team they don't match up well against...but they have home court advantage so who knows) their likely opponent in the second round will be LA.

Portland is the only Western team to beat LA more than once this year and the Lakers have not won a game in the Rose Garden in a very long time
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    If Portland can somehow get by Houston(a team they don't match up well against...but they have home court advantage so who knows) their likely opponent in the second round will be LA.

Portland is the only Western team to beat LA more than once this year and the Lakers have not won a game in the Rose Garden in a very long time
    These are all very good reasons for me to root for Houston. Portland is dangerous.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

•   

I might try to get to the Laker game on Monday. I love closeout games, and this looks like it will be one.

•   

I didn't make it to the game, but it's been fun to watch on TV. The Ducks closed out the Sharks, and now the Lakers are putting the Utah Jazz away for the season. Final score: Lakers 107, Utah 96

Utah Jazz vs. Los Angeles Lakers - Box Score - April 27, 2009 - ESPN

On to the western conference semifinals.

12 wins left.

Next 4: Houston or Portland.

• Circle of Ancients

Lakers REALLY need to get that killer-instinct going. They are letting teams come back on them after building big leads.

This might be okay for Utah, but Houston (likely), Denver and Cleveland aren't going to be so easy. You need to be able to put teams away, and they just aren't doing it.

If King James and the Cavs don't win it all this year, the most cursed sports city in America may never be able to recover.

I like what I saw out of the Cavs in the 1st round. They are clicking on all cylinders and have that ruthless mentality that past championship teams had. It also doesn't hurt that Lebron is in another zone right now and looks like he will refuse to let his team lose.

I'm anticipating the Denver/L.A series out west. Should be interesting.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    On to the western conference semifinals.

12 wins left.
    And after Monday's opener at home, the number of wins left is still....12.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the front-runner SoCal Laker fans sprain their wrists by taking all those car flags off really fast whenever they actually lose a game.

To be certain, their silence here in this forum over the last few days is rather deafening.

Someone forgot to tell Yao Ming and the Rockets that they had no business even showing up.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Anyone care to comment on today's Laker effort (Sunday) against the Yao Ming-less Rockets?

Hmmmm?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Guess someone forgot to tell the rest of the Rockets that they were supposed to mail it in against the "rejuvenated" Kobe and the rough-tough Lakers.

From foxsports.com...

HOUSTON (AP) - Aaron Brooks scored a career-high 34, Shane Battier sank five 3-pointers and added 23 and the Houston Rockets routed the Los Angeles Lakers 99-87 on Sunday to even their Western Conference semifinal at two games apiece.

Houston didn't seem to miss Yao Ming, who is sidelined for the remainder of the playoffs with a hairline fracture in his left foot.

Luis Scola had 11 points and 14 rebounds as the Rockets got exactly the team effort they needed after Yao broke his left foot in the Lakers' win in Game 3. Game 5 is Tuesday night in Los Angeles, and anyone who thought the Rockets were finished without their best player only needed to watch the first few minutes on Sunday, when Houston built a 22-7 lead

The Rockets led this game by as many as 29 points.

Oh, Laker fans...

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Anyone care to comment on today's Laker effort (Sunday) against the Yao Ming-less Rockets?

Hmmmm?
    I could... The Laker's bench didn't step it up today. If the Lakers want to win this series they will have to help Kobe win the game.
    Not even Kobe can win the game alone. Also if the Lakers do win the series against Houston, they will have the same problem with Denver..no one will step up to help Kobe.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Circle of Ancients

Barry, I would comment on the Lakers "effort" if in fact they had put forth any. Since they did not I'll just say "no comment".

But seriously, if the Lakers want to prove to everybody, and MOST IMPORTANTLY themselves that they are Championship Caliber, then they need to get their heads out of their collected rear-ends. Do they REALLY think they will have a chance against Denver or Cleveland playing like this??? Not even to mention the fact that they still have to get past Houston.

I still think the Lakers will get past this series, but I have serious doubts about the heart of this team and their desire to win. Gasol should have had 40+ points as Houston has nobody who can match up to him right now. Bynum needs to stop trying to get Rihanna and play some actual basketball.

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Do they REALLY think they will have a chance against Denver or Cleveland playing like this???
    Even Denver has a better chance in beating Cleveland and winning the NBA Finals....
    "You are watching FOX"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

This is what I just heard from one of 710 ESPN Radio's Laker apologists...

"You don't have to be concerned about the Lakers character. They simply didn't show up yesterday."

-- Barry

PS... Michael Wilbon, on PTI paraphrasing a conversation he had with Magic Johnson: Magic saying that a championship caliber team would really have no business putting out that kind of effort, not going for the throat of an undermanned team.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    PS... Michael Wilbon, on PTI paraphrasing a conversation he had with Magic Johnson: Magic saying that a championship caliber team would really have no business putting out that kind of effort, not going for the throat of an undermanned team.
    As always, I'm inclined to agree with Magic Johnson.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast