Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Ice melts fast in AZ

Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

A bankruptcy judge rejected the sale of the Coyotes today. Interesting.

Judge rejects sale of Coyotes to Canadian billionaire

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

And the Suns are rumored to be trading Shaq to Cleveland for Ben Wallace and some other dead weight.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

Tucson, Arizona, but I wish I was in Philly, PA

Phoenix is such a Bandwagon town, its not even funny. When your team does good, like reach the playoffs, people support them. When they do ok, but not reach the playoffs, they sell ticket for half off to sell out the stadium. When your team does bad, they sell tickets for half off, but the stadium isn't even half full.
    Remember when the Cardinals played at ScumDevil Stadium, and they could even get 30,000 in it. Fun times. I remember going to the last ever Cardinals game at ScumDevil Stadium in 2005 on Christmas Eve, because the Eagles were playing. And the attendance was 41,000, and there were more Eagles fans than Cardinal fans. You would think it would be sold out, but no. That shows how bad Phoenix is as a sports town.
    Also, I heard the RoadRunners went Bankrupt. Does anyone know why?
    And the Coyotes are staying for at least next season, guaranteed.

I will be at DisneyWorld on April 29, 2011-May 4, 2011. If You Are Going The Same Time Message Me

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    So here is another reason why cities and more importantly tax payers shouldn't foot the bill for sports venues.

Coyotes' demise may leave trail of debt

I remember when Jerry Colangelo was trying to build a stadium for the D-Backs back in the 90's. The voters overwhelmingly voted it down and then Colangelo greased some of the city council members and the city council voted to ignore the public vote and build the stadium anyway. I don't remember the exact deal the city council gave Colangelo, but I remember the city wouldn't get the money they invested in the stadium back for about 30 years (not including the extra revenue from new businesses of course).

So what are your thoughts on publicy funded sports complexes?
    I agree with Anders, Scottsdale not supporting the Coyotes was bad, especially since so many of them made Scottsdale their home, and their practice rink was in north Scottsdale. Los Arcos, would have been closer than the then America West Arena, and MUCH closer than the Glendale Arena, that's the half way point to Disneyland, for many in east valley. (i exaggerate, a little)

I think it was the Maricopa Board of Supervisors. That board should have been dismantled for taxation without represention. As for the Cardinals, never have liked them, never will ~ get rid of Bidwell and the team.

The only transplanted team i liked was the Coyotes. Diamondbacks are ok. And I like the Suns.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    Putting a team or 2 back in Canada is the way to go.
    In the US, what about the Dakotas or Washington?
    The Dakota's? Are you kidding. (I say that from someone who grew up there.) They are lucky to have the Minnesota Wild to support, close by. But the Dakotas don't have the high population area to support a national team of any sort. However, there are some successful college hockey teams, primarily UND.

• Wonderful World

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFreak1 View Post
    Phoenix is such a Bandwagon town, its not even funny. When your team does good, like reach the playoffs, people support them. When they do ok, but not reach the playoffs, they sell ticket for half off to sell out the stadium. When your team does bad, they sell tickets for half off, but the stadium isn't even half full.
    Remember when the Cardinals played at ScumDevil Stadium, and they could even get 30,000 in it. Fun times. I remember going to the last ever Cardinals game at ScumDevil Stadium in 2005 on Christmas Eve, because the Eagles were playing. And the attendance was 41,000, and there were more Eagles fans than Cardinal fans. You would think it would be sold out, but no. That shows how bad Phoenix is as a sports town.
    Your just pissed off that the Eagles lost to the Cards in the NFC game.
    I'm back MiceChat

• MC State Comptroller

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFreak1 View Post
    EaglesFreak: I would agree with you on the Cardinals. Since there are a lot of transplants here, you get a lot of fans of the other teams coming to the game. That with the fact that up until last season the Cards consistently disappointed their fans made people not want to support them and give up on them. To tell you the truth the fans that jumped on the bandwagon because of last season irritate me more than the fans of the other teams showing up. I know quite a few bandwagon fans and they are the most annoying.

Now for the Suns and D'backs i disagree. Both teams have a solid fan base that they have built for a while. You still see the occasional visiting team fan (heck i still wear my Kirk Gibson Dodgers jersey to Dback games) the ratio is a lot higher of the home teams. Remember the Dbacks have won the world series, not every team can say that! The Suns struggled with Shaq and hopefully we will get some solid players for better defense this year.

Oh and Mice Chat . . . I'm back!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Cars Land Rocks!

I think Phoenix is a good sports town ... just not for Hockey. The Suns and Dimondbacks facilities were built downtown, which is a central location for both people living in the East and West valleys. Even easier now with the new light rail that just started operating. The Cardinals wanted desperately to stay in the East Valley themselves, but couldn't get a stadium deal done there. I believe the first choice for the Coyotes arena was to be Scottsdale, but that didn't work out. Unfortunately the West valley had plenty of land and were desperate to get some things on there side of town. Traditionally though, the people with money have always lived in the East valley.

Edit: Having lived in the Phoenix area when the Cards came to Arizona, and attended there first training camp in Flagstaff, there are many fans of the Cards that supported them from the beginning. Not many teams will maintain a large fan base packing stadiums with years of loosing seasons and a dozen or more coaches. LA fans disappear as well when their teams start loosing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12