Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    • Ice melts fast in AZ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    On an iceberg
    Posts
    666

    In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Phoenix Coyotes file for Chapter 11 and could relocate to Canada. Here's the Link on AZcentral.

    Coyotes may be moved to Canada

    Once they moved out to the west side of the valley, it was too much of a drive for a lot of people on the east side of Phoenix. But then again, hockey in Arizona just never seemed like the best idea.

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bringing it back
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Doesn't surprise me at all. The worst thing the team did was move to Glendale. The Valley in general wasn't exactly excited about hockey. The move to the West Valley made it difficult for fans in the East Valley to really want to go to multiple games. It can work for football as it is more of an event, but to go travel to Glendale over 40 times a year is a lot to ask of the traditional population base of the Phoenix area in Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, etc..

    I remember the initial excitement of the team arriving in the late 90's, even working for them briefly in 2000. It's just been a very poorly run organization since it arrived.

    ErikAnders.smugmug.com

    Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ


    1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

  3. #3

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    There are a couple hockey teams that should have never moved out of Canada. It's good that they will have another one.

    Although, I don't agree with them just throwing another team in the Ontario/Toronto market. They should just send them back to Winnipeg. They could even get away with keeping the team in the West in Winnipeg, heck, it's west of Detroit. If they movie to Ontario, they will have to get one of the eastern teams to go into the Western Conference.

    If not Winnipeg, then maybe one of the other old markets that doesn't have a team like Hartford.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 05-06-2009 at 06:28 AM.


  4. #4

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,289
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    There are a couple hockey teams that should have never moved out of Canada. It's good that they will have another one.

    Although, I don't agree with them just throwing another team in the Ontario/Toronto market. They should just send them back to Winnipeg. They could even get away with keeping the team in the West in Winnipeg, heck, it's west of Detroit. If they movie to Ontario, they will have to get one of the eastern teams to go into the Western Conference.

    If not Winnipeg, then maybe one of the other old markets that doesn't have a team like Hartford.
    A hockey team moving back to Canada?

    My, oh my, how things have changed.

    And yup, that drive to Glendale can be a tough one. That 134 at evening rush hour...

    Ooops, wrong Glendale

    -- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bringing it back
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    There are a couple hockey teams that should have never moved out of Canada. It's good that they will have another one.

    Although, I don't agree with them just throwing another team in the Ontario/Toronto market. They should just send them back to Winnipeg. They could even get away with keeping the team in the West in Winnipeg, heck, it's west of Detroit. If they movie to Ontario, they will have to get one of the eastern teams to go into the Western Conference.

    If not Winnipeg, then maybe one of the other old markets that doesn't have a team like Hartford.
    Hamilton has long been rumored to get an NHL team so it wouldn't shock me if that was their destination. It is right behind Quebec and Winnipeg in terms of size of the market. Since both of those cities lost a team I'd love to see a team go back to either of them, but I'd be ok with Hamilton as well.

    I don't know why the NHL is fighting this so heavily. It will only benefit the league to get out of Phoenix and into another Canadian market that will actually go crazy for the team.

    ErikAnders.smugmug.com

    Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ


    1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

  6. #6

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,348

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    What about having a hockey team in Alaska?

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  7. #7

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    I agree Erik, this is a gift for the NHL.

    Now if they can only get the Panthers and Thrashers out of the deep south. I think the Lightning has a pretty good fan-base there in Tampa. But there is no reason FL needs 2 hockey teams.

    PeopleMoverMatt, that's in interesting point. There are no major sports franchises there, it's not like getting to Alaska would be much harder than getting to Edmonton in the dead of winter.

    I'm also surprised that they haven't thought about putting a team in Portland. As loyal as they are to the Trailblazers, you'd think that they would love an NHL team.

    I think the NHL made some HUGE errors this decade, not just with the lock-out in 2004, but with expanding to area's that made absolutely no sense. After the baseball strike of 1994 the NHL was WELL on it's way to becoming the #3 most popular of the 4 major sports, but they are WAY behind now.

    I'm pretty much to the point where I don't usually watch Hockey until the Playoffs. And even then, only when the Ducks or Kings (well, let's be real, Ducks) are in them.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 05-06-2009 at 03:31 PM.


  8. #8

    • Ice melts fast in AZ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    On an iceberg
    Posts
    666

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Anybody remember that the Yotes were supposed to have their stadium built in south Scottsdale at the old Los Arcos site? I think that would have been great. It would have been close to ASU and in the center of a million people. But, the mayor of snobsdale (Mary Monrose) said the only thing worse than a stadium would be a prison or garbage dump. This coming from the brilliant mayor that called 911 for directions. Later (after the Jobing.com Arena was built) it came out that there was one very well-off person that was "persuading" several city council members to keep the stadium from being built. If you drive through that area now, it looks like the city got their dump.

  9. #9

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bringing it back
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    What about having a hockey team in Alaska?
    It would have to be in Anchorage, but even then I don't think there's a large enough population there to support a team. There is not a large metro area around the city.

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree Erik, this is a gift for the NHL.

    Now if they can only get the Panthers and Thrashers out of the deep south. I think the Lightning has a pretty good fan-base there in Tampa. But there is no reason FL needs 2 hockey teams.

    PeopleMoverMatt, that's in interesting point. There are no major sports franchises there, it's not like getting to Alaska would be much harder than getting to Edmonton in the dead of winter.

    I'm also surprised that they haven't thought about putting a team in Portland. As loyal as they are to the Trailblazers, you'd think that they would love an NHL team.
    The Panthers and Thrashers do need to relocate, Tampa and Carolina seem to be ok for now, but the NHL definitely over expanded into the Southeast. I'm not sure Portland would be overly excited for hockey, they love the Trailblazers and soccer in general especially with an MLS team in a few years. It just doesn't seem too interested in hockey. A new basketball/hockey arena in Seattle would make sense to bring both sports to that city, Seattle would do better with hockey if you ask me. If the Canadian cities like Winnipeg and Manitoba aren't appealing I think Milwaukee, Hartford, Cleveland and Kansas City would be good alternatives as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    Anybody remember that the Yotes were supposed to have their stadium built in south Scottsdale at the old Los Arcos site? I think that would have been great. It would have been close to ASU and in the center of a million people. But, the mayor of snobsdale (Mary Monrose) said the only thing worse than a stadium would be a prison or garbage dump. This coming from the brilliant mayor that called 911 for directions. Later (after the Jobing.com Arena was built) it came out that there was one very well-off person that was "persuading" several city council members to keep the stadium from being built. If you drive through that area now, it looks like the city got their dump.
    I remember that and really hoped the team would have built the arena there, it's a really bad area of Scottsdale, that would have done well with urban renewal that would have come from a major arena. I do feel the failure of that plan and the eventual Glendale arena are what will kill the franchise in AZ.

    ErikAnders.smugmug.com

    Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ


    1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    99

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    that's great!...
    my heart is yours

  11. #11

    • 1st Visit: 7/23/1955
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cave Creek, AZ USA
    Posts
    788

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And yup, that drive to Glendale can be a tough one. That 134 at evening rush hour...

    Ooops, wrong Glendale

    -- Barry
    After moving to AZ from So Cal I'm still saying, "What traffic?"

  12. #12

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Are you guys serious? This is insane. what were they thinking???

  13. #13

    • Ice melts fast in AZ
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    On an iceberg
    Posts
    666

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    So here is another reason why cities and more importantly tax payers shouldn't foot the bill for sports venues.

    Coyotes' demise may leave trail of debt

    That could leave the city having to dip into taxpayer coffers to meet its obligation, something the city already had to do to pay for other projects in the area.


    .......Glendale borrowed $180 million to build the $220 million arena.
    I remember when Jerry Colangelo was trying to build a stadium for the D-Backs back in the 90's. The voters overwhelmingly voted it down and then Colangelo greased some of the city council members and the city council voted to ignore the public vote and build the stadium anyway. I don't remember the exact deal the city council gave Colangelo, but I remember the city wouldn't get the money they invested in the stadium back for about 30 years (not including the extra revenue from new businesses of course).

    So what are your thoughts on publicy funded sports complexes?

  14. #14

    • Wonderful World
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    1,489

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Hockey never had a chance to grow in Arizona. I think the team made it to the playoffs twice? And they never got past the first round. Its hard to follow a team that has not had previous success. Honestly I think the team wouldn't be in the mess they are in now if they stayed in Phoenix. I remember I would go to at least a couple of games a year when they played at Us Airways Center. Since they moved to Glendale I've been to 2 or 3. Its an hour drive from my house to the stadium. To see the Cardinals its worth the drive but the Coyotes...not so much.
    I'm back MiceChat

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Leandro
    Posts
    1,791

    Re: In other "Phoenix is the worst sports town on Earth" News.......

    Putting a team or 2 back in Canada is the way to go.
    In the US, what about the Dakotas or Washington?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 09:36 PM
  2. Sports Illustrated "Year's most interesting photos"
    By RobotMirror in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2006, 05:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •