Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Manny Ramirez to be suspended for 50 games due to drugs - ESPN

ESPN is reporting that Manny Ramirez of the LA Dodgers tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. He is facing a 50 game suspension.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

So, will the Dodgers win streak have an asterisk besides it?

This is WOW!
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 05-07-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added Link
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Manny Ramirez to be suspended for 50 games due to drugs - ESPN

And he will lose $7.7 million in salary.....

• Circle of Ancients

Wow, I'm shocked.

But, if I were to say it wasn't deserved I'd be a hypocrite. He cheated, he used, he should be suspended. Even as a Dodger fan I have to support the league on this.

Here is my question though, if you admit you've done it and somehow avoided being "caught", shouldn't you still be suspended???

As for the win streak, if it was ONLY him that was the cause, then I'd say yes. But you can't take away the contributions of the 8 other guys on the field. And if you look at his contribution, I wouldn't say he's actually "won" any games for us.

It will be interesting what happens to my Dodgers now, hopefully they can keep playing well without Manny. I'm sure we'll be fine. Probably not dominant like we have been, but we'll be fine.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Wow, I'm shocked.
    I'm not.

• Circle of Ancients

I should say, I'm shocked he's the only one who has gotten caught.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

If you are refering to Alex Rodriguez, yes he admitted to it, but for use prior to 2004, when the current rules took effect.

Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test - Los Angeles Times

Alex Rodriguez, the game's highest-paid player, acknowledged during a February news conference that he used steroids from 2001 to 2003. The admission followed a Sports Illustrated report that he failed a drug test in 2003, when players were not subject to suspension.

So since the illegal use happened at a time that players were not suspended, then based on the rules, he shouldn't be suspended.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow. What a surprise! NOT!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm not.
    Granted, my feelings about Mr. Ramirez have been posted here on MC many times, but even having said that, I can say that I'm not, either.

And Sir Clinks, while it's true that the Dodgers are a better team overall than they were on July 31, 2008...I think you are minimizing the impact of this at least a little.

Manny made every hitter in that lineup better just by his presence.

The good news for those of you wearing the dreadlocks in Mannywood...it's the N-L West, and even with a 50-gamer he'll be back at midseason.

A little trouble in the Dodgers Blue Heaven. We fans of the team down the freeway have great sympathy for the adversity you're facing this season. Uhh, NOT.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    If you are refering to Alex Rodriguez, yes he admitted to it, but for use prior to 2004, when the current rules took effect.

Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test - Los Angeles Times

So since the illegal use happened at a time that players were not suspended, then based on the rules, he shouldn't be suspended.
    Of course, there are reports that he's been using since HS up until a couple of years ago.

Two wrongs don't make it right, Manny cheated, and to be honest, I would be fine if the Dodgers dropped him. I have no sympathy for that kind of thing and don't really want to explain this to my son as to why Manny isn't playing.

I'm actually shocked, I've always subscribed to the Bill Simmons logic that Manny "was to dumb or carefree to maintain a strict cycle regimen for steroid use." Remeber this is a guy who used to stuff checks in his locker room and $20,000 in his glove compartment.

But looking at the decline of his best bud in Boston Big Papi this year, its safe to assume that their were some shenanigans going on and that Poppi was smart enough to get off the juice even if it meant his horrid performance this year.

I've always been a big Manny fan and am going to wait till I hear more details, apprently Manny is claiming that this is not steroid related but something prescribed by his doctor for a "personal matter" We will have to wait and see till we fully cast judgement on him.

• Circle of Ancients

Pete's Dragon, judgement is already cast, and I actually have no problem with that.

Even if it turns out it wasn't a steroid thing (but how many times have we heard that) it's up to Manny to be totally up front about what he IS taking when he's getting tested. If you've ever had a drug test they specifically ask you if you are taking any medications because as we all know, many prescriptions and yes many OTC medications can give you a "false positive".

I do hope that's the case here, but I don't have high hopes and not just because he's on my team. Because I REALLY want baseball to get past the steroid era.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    A little trouble in the Dodgers Blue Heaven. We fans of the team down the freeway have great sympathy for the adversity you're facing this season. Uhh, NOT.

• Rides against injustice

I am shocked for the simple fact that Manny doesnt exactly fit the part. His body type has remained fairly consistent and he hasnt turned into The Hulk in the later part of this career the same way Bonds did. Plus his numbers havent exactly screamed "PED USE!!" late in his career the same way Bonds' did.
    But I am angry because of the distraction this will cause the team.
    As far as the Dodgers are concerned, it is a big blow to the team yes, but considering that we have more weapons now than a year ago it softens the blow somewhat. Plus its early. Had this happened in August or September then I'd be more worried. The Dodgers have jumped out to a great start and could realistically play .500 ball the rest of the way and still win the division.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• E T1CK3T

Justice is served, I suppose. Can't say I'm all that surprised, like everyone else has said. The Dodgers will have to go on without him.... it's predicted that if he begins the suspension with tonight's game against the Nationals, he will be able to return by July 3rd.

• Rides against injustice

Manny just issued a statement through the MLBPA

http://www.latimes.com/media/acrobat...5/46773170.pdf
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast