• Ice melts fast in AZ

Is it really surprising that older MLB players are on the decline?

From Tom Verducci off SI's website.

Older players such as David Ortiz and Jason Giambi are struggling - Tom Verducci - SI.com

"Remember when people wondered last winter why the market was especially slow for older position players? The 2009 season is still early, but so far it is reminding everyone why investing in older players these days is risky business. There are seven players aged 33 and older who switched teams last winter who have posted an OPS below .750: Orlando Cabrera, David Eckstein, Ramon Hernandez, Edgar Renteria, Jason Giambi, Mark DeRosa and Bobby Abreu."
    He later discusses steroid and amphetamine testing... but only briefly. So are the days of players going through their late 30's over? I would say its going to be a steep decline for a majority of these older players.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Is it really surprising that older MLB players are on the decline?

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    From Tom Verducci off SI's website.

Older players such as David Ortiz and Jason Giambi are struggling - Tom Verducci - SI.com

He later discusses steroid and amphetamine testing... but only briefly. So are the days of players going through their late 30's over? I would say its going to be a steep decline for a majority of these older players.
    Excellent question, polarbear.

I've heard a variety of reasons as to why players used steroids, and what I heard a lot was that they allowed players to recover from injuries more quickly, and extend their careers more.

I heard that, more than I did about an ability to muscle up and hit more homers.

The Angels took Abreu because the price was right. And Sciosia's approach to offense doesn't rely so much on the long ball, although they could certainly use more of them.

Eckstein would hit a few homers, but he's not a power type. As for Big Papi? I think the jury is still out.

I also think that the current economy is dictating that clubs use their younger players, which cost them less.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.