• Senior Minion

Great Baseball Books

I was thinking the other day of some of the great baseball books I've read through the decades, and I thought I'd share some of the list here, and see what other favorites folks had.

The Boys of Summer Roger Kahn--a great story about the original Brooklyn Dodgers, and some great personal anecdotes from the 50's.

The Summer Game Roger Angell
    Five Seasons Roger Angell--Possibly some of the best writing about baseball ever, from Sandy Koufax to the Big Red Machine.

The Long Season Jim Brosnan
    Pennant Race Jim Brosnan--Brosnan was a pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds in the 60's; this is really one of the first player narrative books, and they're both a really fascinating read.

The Southpaw Mark Harris
    Bang the Drum Slowly Mark Harris--Possibly the two best fictional novels about baseball I've ever read.

The Bronx Zoo Sparky Lyle--Of all the baseball player-written books, this is my favorite, if only for the Yogi Berra story. If you want, I'll recall it here and save you from reading the rest, if you want...

So what other favorites do you have? Ever read any of the ones above?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Great Baseball Books

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I was thinking the other day of some of the great baseball books I've read through the decades, and I thought I'd share some of the list here, and see what other favorites folks had.

The Boys of Summer Roger Kahn--a great story about the original Brooklyn Dodgers, and some great personal anecdotes from the 50's.
    One of the great classics, period.

I've read some other baseball books by Kahn, too.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Both the Bronx Zoo and the Summer Game are also favorites, along with WP Kinsella's "Shoeless Joe", which I didn't know about until after the movie which was based on it, "Field Of Dreams".

I'd have to say though, that even 40 years later, Jim Bouton's diary while pitching with the legendary Seattle Pilots in the year 1970 - a little thing called "Ball Four" - the book major league baseball never wanted me to see, especially at age 14 - remains my all-time favorite.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The Glory of Their Times: The Story of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It by Lawrence S. Ritter. The subtitle does a pretty good job of describing what this book is all about. It was our textbook for a class, History of Baseball, when I was in high school.