Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• we jumped out a window

The 2009 NBA Off-season Thread

So Cleveland, by acquiring Shaq, seem to have positioned themselves as the team to beat next season in the Eastern conference. Of course, not to be outdone, Orlando acquires Vince Carter, giving them a player who can create off the dribble, something that seemed to be lacking in their playoff run.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Official 2009 NBA Playoff Thread

I think Orlando getting Carter is WAY bigger than Cleveland getting Shaq. I expect to see Orlando in the finals again next year. IMO, Carter can still be an everyday star and all-star.

Shaq on the other hand is WAY past his prime.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    I hope that the Lakers aren't hoping for a home team discount and loyalty discount respectively from Trevor Ariza and Lamar Odom.
    Lakers/Mitch Kupchak, you've really done it now!

I warned you about not expecting to get a hometown discount from Ariza.

It looks like they're getting Ron Artest instead who although is a better player brings a bit of baggage. This could either be very good or could end up in disaster.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

In the LA Times...Lakers get Artest, Rockets get Ariza.

The story says that Ariza signed for basically the same money the Lakers offered, but he made the best deal "for his family" by signing in Houston.

Yeah, why would your family want you to stay with a team poised to reel off another two, maybe three championships...

And his agent says..."it was never about the money".

If I was a Laker fan, I'd see this as a step down.

And so much for LeBron James salesmanship, trying too woo Artest to the Cavs during a dinner in LA earlier.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• we jumped out a window

Because he went to a great university, I'll always wish Ariza the best wherever he goes. To me it does seem as if the Lakers were lowballing him but that's neither here nor there now.

I just wish we could end all the "this was the best for my family" rhetoric. That's exactly what Mark Teixeira said when signing with the Yankees and what countless other free agents have claimed.

• Animation Domination

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Lakers/Mitch Kupchak, you've really done it now!

I warned you about not expecting to get a hometown discount from Ariza.

It looks like they're getting Ron Artest instead who although is a better player brings a bit of baggage. This could either be very good or could end up in disaster.
    Will both Artest and Bryant get along as Lakers?
    "You are watching FOX"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Those cheers you just heard were coming from Denver, Cleveland and Orlando. Amomg other places!

Why would the Lakers mess with a winning chemistry like that? Just by keeping the pieces in place, they were pretty much the favorite to win it all the next 2-3 years. Now, this.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, I thought Ariza was overrated, Especially in the regular season. He was however, AMAZING in the playoffs.

So to me, other than messing with the chemistry of the team, this doesn't really mean a whole lot.

If anybody can keep Artest in check, it's Phil. Artest knows this isn't his team. And to be honest, he did show a LOT of maturity in that technical filled series with the Lakers. The couple he had were not really even Technicals.

• Circle of Ancients

The other thing this will do is squash the talk that the Lakers are tough. In Artest, the Lakers get somebody who will do all the dirty work, like a Dennis Rodman who can actually score.

An interesting article about the trade, and I totally agree:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

The Lakers don’t believe he’ll leave, Lee kept barking. Surprise, surprise: Lee didn’t think the Lakers would tell him to get lost, sign Artest and leave Ariza to take the five-year, $33 million deal in Houston he could’ve had in L.A.

“I told Mitch that it was never about the money; it was about respect,” Lee told NBA.com.

Well, take your respect and pack your client’s bags for post-Yao lottery land in Houston. Respect? Yes, there are American soldiers and missionaries in faraway lands cheering for David Lee and this noble stand for the neglected and disenfranchised everywhere. It is about respect, and God knows a $33 million offer for Ariza’s eight points and four rebounds a game rates a disgraceful act.

No, this wasn’t about the money, nor his client’s needs. This was a failed power play, an embarrassment of the highest order. Looking back, Ariza will rue the day. He’s a good player, but he’ll never be a star elsewhere. He’ll just be another player on another team.
    Ultimately, it wasn’t Jackson who made it work for two titles with Rodman in Chicago, but Jordan. The locker room is policed by the superstar, never the coach. Artest is the right player, right time for Bryant. As Kobe hits his 30s, he can’t be chasing the best player on defense every night. Now, Artest gets the job. What’s more, Kobe gets a maniac who will want to please him, get his approval. Anything is possible with Ron-Ron running roughshod in Los Angeles.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The other thing this will do is squash the talk that the Lakers are tough. In Artest, the Lakers get somebody who will do all the dirty work, like a Dennis Rodman who can actually score.
    I still think that in Ariza you had a young, rising star without the baggage that Artest takes along with him wherever he goes.

Having said that, to Mr. Lee, and all other sports agents and players for that matter: please spare me the "it's not about the money it's about respect" BS.

So if a team offered $10 an hour, but said they'd respect you, that'd be OK then? Pleeease.

PS...I remember Dennis Rodman as a Laker. Of course no Phil and no Jordan and he was just a caricature of himself by then, but still...what a joke that was.

• Circle of Ancients

The Rodman in LA thing was a joke, I'll agree Barry. Thankfully that didn't last long.

But Houston, without Yao, is just another Lottery team. Ariza will never be an all-star. He's just going to be another player on another lackluster team. Nothing more.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    But Houston, without Yao, is just another Lottery team. Ariza will never be an all-star. He's just going to be another player on another lackluster team. Nothing more.
    Just one last point on this.

Once again, I'm agreeing with Bill Plaschke on this one...that while there's no question that Artest is the better player, "Ariza was the better fit, and that's what wins championships".

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    The two are very close friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Once again, I'm agreeing with Bill Plaschke on this one...that while there's no question that Artest is the better player, "Ariza was the better fit, and that's what wins championships".
    Plaschke has no idea which player is a better fit. Artest might be EXACTLY what this team needs, especially with Cleveland having upgraded its roster and the Celtics probably bringing back a healthy roster next season that was as good or better than the Lakers'. What's not to fit, adding a player with twice the offensive abilities, and a long history of playing exceptional defense? Yes, he's a hothead, and the move comes with some risk, but the payoff could be 3-4 titles in the next 5 years. That's a risk worth taking.

Ariza just bRuined his career.
    Fight On! Beat the Bears!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The 2009 NBA Offseason Thread

I decided to move all of these posts about off-season stuff to it's own thread.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post

Ariza just bRuined his career.
    Unlike all those legendary tRojans with great NBA careers...

The Lakers have released a statement saying it's 99.9 % certain that Phil will be back as coach next season...fulltime..only a couple more doctors appointments apparently are pending...the Zen-guy says he feels good.

And Gregg...thanks for making that move. Not often you see a thread with 14 replies, and 0 "views"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast