• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Ten Years Ago Today: The US Womens Soccer Team Wins the World Cup

It remains as one of the most important days in the history of U.S. womens' sports.

July 10, 1999 - Brandi Chastain makes that never-to-be-forgotten penalty kick, and the U.S. beats China in the World Cup finals at the Rose Bowl.

Did it become the stepping stone to greater things for soccer? Maybe. Maybe not. But Bill Plaschke suggests in today's LA Times it may have had a more important impact.

Hard to believe, that it's been ten years!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Ten Years Ago Today: The US Womens Soccer Team Wins the World Cup

Holy crap, that was 10 years ago. Wow, doesn't seem like that long ago at all.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Holy crap, that was 10 years ago. Wow, doesn't seem like that long ago at all.
    That's what I thought, too.

And by the way, Plaschke's not paying me to link to his columns. It might seem that way lately. But I do like his writing, and agree with him much of the time.

I had dinner with him once in the Dodger Stadium press box. Seems like a very nice man.

Back on topic...if he is accurate, suggesting that team and that game might have served to motivate girls and young women in general to be their best, I think that's the best legacy that game could have.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    It remains as one of the most important days in the history of U.S. womens' sports.

July 10, 1999 - Brandi Chastain makes that never-to-be-forgotten penalty kick, and the U.S. beats China in the World Cup finals at the Rose Bowl.

Did it become the stepping stone to greater things for soccer? Maybe. Maybe not. But Bill Plaschke suggests in today's LA Times it may have had a more important impact.

Hard to believe, that it's been ten years!
    I keep trying to tell you that Plaschke doesn't know squat.

For example, the ladies on that team didn't have any role models, supposedly, and yet they did alright.
    I watch the women's US team probably just as much as I do the men's US team, which is just about every time they're on. I also watch MLS as much as the WPL(?), which is near never.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

It's also the anniversary of the last time the US Women won the World Cup. Let's see if we can get back on track in 2011.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's still a notable anniversary of a tremendous accomplishment.

• Circle of Ancients

I dunno, I care about soccer as much today as I did 10 years ago. Which is not at all. Didn't do anything but give me some cool highlights on SportsCenter and a peek at Brandy Chastain's bra.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

First off, I am impressed on how well Brandi Chastain is doing on "The Superstars", the current show on ABC.

And as for soccer in general, the Mexico Men's Coach this week during the Gold Cup stuck his leg out and tripped a Panama player during the game. I hope he is ready for a LONG vacation
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com