• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Mixed Martial Arts: Already a mainstream sport?

I admit I know very little about this. I'm not about to shell about 50 bucks for pay per view...but then I never have for big boxing matches either (sometimes I'd go to a party at someone else's house and chip in).

But there it is, the big match tonight on the espn.com main page. So I figured I'd bring it up.

Has MMA surpassed boxing?

Has it become mainstream, or do you care if it does?

Are you a fan? Would you mind explaining why you like it?

One of the talking heads on TV the other day says he sees it surpassing the likes of hockey at least to become the fourth favorite sport.

Thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Mixed Martial Arts: Already a mainstream sport?

Quite a few heads were turned by the number of pay-per-view buys over the weekend...well over a million, placing it in boxing Oscar De La Hoya land in that regard.

And even more heads were turned by the conduct of the winner.

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Brock Lesnar is well on his way to becoming mixed martial arts' biggest name. As he showed in UFC 100, he's already its biggest jerk.

That's certainly good news for the UFC's bottom line, since fans of any sport love to hate a proper villain. It's not so good for the mainstream image of a sport that publicly claims it wants nothing to do with its heavyweight champion's pro wrestling-style theatrics in the main event at the league's landmark event Saturday night.
    This is not the sort of sport that I would go out of my way to watch.

But I am reminded that at age 53, I am well beyond the target "demo" they are trying to reach.

Thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Mixed Martial Arts: Already a mainstream sport?

No MMA fans here? I'm a little surprised.