• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Scully Says He'll Retire After Next Season

I figure that a baseball broadcaster that is such an iconic figure, not just in Southern California but everywhere, deserves his own thread.

In today's LA Times, 81-year old (I think) Vin Scully says that he's in good health, so he will work one more season and then "Good Lord Willing" as he would put it, retire after the 2010 season.

Which means that Dodger fans, and baseball fans in general, will have 15 more months, in essence, to savor the work, insights and great stories of arguably the game's best of all time. Certainly, he's on the short list.

Consider the fact that he's been part of Dodger broadcasts since 1951...seven years before they started in Los Angeles.

He's one of the finest men I've ever had the privilege of meeting.

Through the radio, long before the days when every game was on TV, he taught me the game. Often, through my pillow via transistor radio when my Mom thought I was sleeping on a school night.

Sadly, I think it's time, and I think he knows it too. In the past couple of seasons, I've noticed him start to slip a bit. Getting names wrong just now and again. Something he never used to do.

I hope the Dodgers honor him in a way he so richly deserves, while he's still around to see it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Scully Says He'll Retire After Next Season

It will be a sad day when Vin retires. He's still pretty solid in the booth but I do like him heading of into the sunset before it's obvious he needs to retire. Chick Hearn's last 3 years were tough to listen to, thank heavens we've been blessed to have Vin for so long.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    It will be a sad day when Vin retires. He's still pretty solid in the booth but I do like him heading of into the sunset before it's obvious he needs to retire. Chick Hearn's last 3 years were tough to listen to, thank heavens we've been blessed to have Vin for so long.
    Vin's played it a little differently than Chick did. He didn't worry about a streak, or having to be there for every game. For the past many seasons he does all nine innings on TV, but only three for simulcast on radio where he needs to talk more. And he doesn't travel any further than Denver.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Vin turned me towards the Dodgers (away from The Reds). His mostly objective announcing (much less homering than just about everyone else), his perfect pauses, and the fact that no one was with him to distract him from his job really hit home.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Vin turned me towards the Dodgers (away from The Reds). His mostly objective announcing (much less homering than just about everyone else), his perfect pauses, and the fact that no one was with him to distract him from his job really hit home.
    I saw him at the event he had with John Wooden last year. Someone asked him if he's a Dodger fan.

He relied with an emphatic "no"...he said if he were, it would get in the way of what he is supposed to do. I'm sure life's a little better for him when the team is doing well, but he is a professional first and foremost.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It will be so sad to see him go. Already he doesn't announce quite as much as he used to so it is understandable.

Now that we have interleague play whenever the dodgers play the Angels I always watch the Dodgers broadcast even though I am an Angels fan simply because he is the best there is.

After he retires baseball will be missing something. To me hearing his voice broadcasting the games is as iconic to a baseball game as hearing the crack of the bat or the roar of the crowd. Take one of those away, and baseball just won't be the same anymore.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

A couple of thoughts more.

I think it would be awesome if he threw out the first pitch at next year's All Star Game. It is being held in Angel Stadium and even thouugh it isn't at Dodger Stadium that fact alone would make it even more meaningful as it would show his greatness to all of the MLB

And second I wonder how my mom will take this. If it wasn't for her getting married to my father in 1951 my last name probably would have been Scully!

• Rides against injustice

I knew this day would come eventually, but it doesnt make it any easier. I almost wish the Dodgers would set something up so that he can broadcast games from home.
    Dodger games simply will NOT be the same without hearing him utter his iconic opening line:
    "Its time for Dodgers baseball!!!!"
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think it would be awesome if he threw out the first pitch at next year's All Star Game. It is being held in Angel Stadium and even thouugh it isn't at Dodger Stadium that fact alone would make it even more meaningful as it would show his greatness to all of the MLB
    That would be cool.

I wouldn't mind seeing him join the broadcast booth, at least for a couple of innings, that night as well. I think they did that for Ernie Harwell when the ASG was in Detroit a few years ago. Why not do the same for Vin?

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I'm lucky enough to have the MLB Extra Innings package plus MLB Network so that I can hear Mr. Scully doing games from KC. Even though the game is on TV, he can still paint a picture in your head with his announcing.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Laughing Last..

I grew up at Dodger stadium, my granddad had season tickets since '65, and we attended every home game possible. If my homework wasn't done, then I had to sit in the car and complete it before we could go intthe stadium. He always put Vinny on the radio, along with Jerry Doggett, and listened to the game until I was done. We listened to so many away games, sitting at the kitchen table, keeping score. I almost believed that the farmer on the Oscar Mayer bacon package was Vinny himself ( his advertising will stick in my head forever). I will miss him and his way of putting you there, in the stadium, wherever it may be. And I'm not even a Dodger fan!
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FREQDUDE View Post
    I grew up at Dodger stadium, my granddad had season tickets since '65, and we attended every home game possible. If my homework wasn't done, then I had to sit in the car and complete it before we could go intthe stadium. He always put Vinny on the radio, along with Jerry Doggett, and listened to the game until I was done. We listened to so many away games, sitting at the kitchen table, keeping score. I almost believed that the farmer on the Oscar Mayer bacon package was Vinny himself ( his advertising will stick in my head forever). I will miss him and his way of putting you there, in the stadium, wherever it may be. And I'm not even a Dodger fan!
    Very well stated.

One thing, though. The farmer is on the Farmer John bacon package!

As Vinny might say, alwaaaysss the finest, from Farrrrrmerrr Johnnnnn...

• Laughing Last..

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Very well stated.

One thing, though. The farmer is on the Farmer John bacon package!

As Vinny might say, alwaaaysss the finest, from Farrrrrmerrr Johnnnnn...
    I'm sooo sorry, you're right Barry. I was working, as I am tonight and my attention had to be divided. Was it "the eastern most in quality, the western most in flavor"? I can hear him saying it right now in my head.

Oscar mayer, I must have bologna between my ears!
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FREQDUDE View Post
    I'm sooo sorry, you're right Barry. I was working, as I am tonight and my attention had to be divided. Was it "the eastern most in quality, the western most in flavor"? I can hear him saying it right now in my head.
    "Always fresh, never shipped frozen or in cold storage like some"...you got it! What memories that brings back.

Bring home the bacon, from Farrmer John! And don't forget those foot-long Dodger Dogs, just like you get at the ballpark!