Dead's Wrestling Thread

A MediaPost article notes that, as of press time, MyNetworkTV has only been cleared in 86% of the national markets (and is presently not cleared in markets like Jacksonville and Harrisburg). This story led to speculation on some websites that Smackdown, already suffering viewership declines since moving to The CW, might face more trouble next season.

A closer reading, however, reveals that the network is confident it will repeat last season's 97% clearance; executive VP Paul Franklin says the clearance might even be higher than 97% come premiere week.

Re: Dead's Wrestling Thread

Posted by Chris Kaufman on 08/20/2009 at 05:08 PM

Express Night Out has a new interview online with WWE United States Champion Kofi Kingston to promote Sunday's Summerslam pay-per-view. Below are the highlights:

Tweeting he was having Summerslam tights made only to be left off the card: I think I got ahead of myself and got excited. The card is always subjected to change; you never know what's going to happen. As of now, I'm not on the card, but hopefully I will be. I always have a pair of trunks for every single pay-per-view regardless if I 'm on it or not. Basically, these "Summerslam" trunks will maybe become "Hell in a Cell Trunks" or "Bragging Rights" trunks — the next pay-per-view down the road is what these trunks will be for.

Favorite worker to work with: Chris Jericho is one of my favorite people to be in the ring with. And Kane ... Big Show. .... I had my first title shot ever in pro wrestling — independent or WWE — against Chris Jericho in 2008 "Night of Champions." I looked across the ring and saw Chris Jericho — I watched him growing up. ... So, before we stepped into the ring and started I had to take a step back and smile a little bit. He's one of the best, if not the best, of our time right now. It's one of my great, heartfelt moments in WWE.

Jim Ross is back with another blog on JRsBarBQ.com and here are some highlights:

- The Hart Dynasty performs for the 2nd week in a row in the final segments of Smackdown. That’s prime real estate and it’s good to see some young competitors getting the opportunity to carry the ball.

- WWE Women’s Champion Michelle McCool makes her return to SD this week and did an outstanding job doing guest commentary during a Diva tag bout featuring Melina/Maria vs. Layla/Natalya in a match loaded with names ending in vowels.

- Could a women’s bout headline a wrestling PPV? Interesting question. In today’s marketplace and as the females are currently positioned my answer would reluctantly be no. However, there is no reason that two, highly skilled, in ring technicians who the fans have made the vital, vested interest in AND who have a strong, clearly defined personal issue can’t contribute MUCH more than they currently do. Does that mean I think that, if crafted properly, women can close a TV program in compelling fashion? Absolutely.

- The new faction that William Regal has “assembled” on ECW interests me. Why? Because it’s new. I realize that everything “new” can’t be great or even good but at least it’s different. Plus, no one knows for sure what the audience is going to buy into until “new” is provided an opportunity to evolve over an adequate amount of time. Two of WWE’s most eligible, young bachelors, Matt Striker and Josh Mathews, if that is their real names, are doing a solid job broadcasting ECW Tuesday nights on Sy Fy. This duo does their prep and care about improving their game. Both should be destined for more, higher profile assignments in the future.

Credit: F4WOnline.com

There has reportedly been some talk of running DX vs. Legacy as the final match on Sunday's Summerslam pay-per-view. A lot will come down to how WWE books the finishes of the WWE and World Championship matches; if creative scripts neither match to culminate with a happy ending, it might opt to put the tag grudge match on last to send the fans home satisfied.

DX vs. Legacy closing the show is, nonetheless, still a long shot--in the past, rumors that a non-title bout would close the show have typically proven false. The major evidence supporting the rumor, at press time, is the fact that WWE's websites are billing DX vs. Legacy as a featured attraction. On Summerslam.com, the match has been moved to the "main event" category (alongside CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy and John Cena vs. Randy Orton). On WWE.com, DX vs. Legacy has the highest billing.

Credit: PWInsider.com

You may remember a few months ago, TNA was teasing the debut of a controversial new character from Mexico named Andromeda. Openly gay wrestler Cassandro was set to debut in TNA with the gimmick but we never heard anything else about it.

Cassandro has told people that he felt two people in TNA who would have had some control over his character were rude and homophobic and said he has no interest in working for TNA as a result. On the other hand, a TNA source says the company didn’t bring Cassandro back because of visa issues or something along those lines.

In a situation eerily similar to what we saw when the original ECW was going out of business, paychecks issued by Ring of Honor have been bouncing. Several of the wrestlers that tried to cash their checks were told that there was insufficient funds in the ROH account to cover the amount on their checks.

For the checks to bounce, that must mean that the company is extremely low on cash right now.

Cary Silkin, the man who took ownership of the company after founder Rob Feinstein, was able to secure some money to cover the checks that he issued to the wrestlers. No word yet on how he was able to secure the money.

For those of you that don't remember, shortly before ECW folded, Paul Heyman was having trouble paying the wrestlers. Several wrestlers have came forward and stated that they went several months without being paid.

With rumors floating around that ROH could be very close to shutting down, any incident involving money is going to add more fuel to the flame.

I don't follow ROH at all, but I think I heard they just got some sort of tv deal, or are working on one at least. I don't know how recent that news is though and it's pretty interesting in light of their apparent financial situation.