Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Talking College Football

Hello fellow micechatters..in only a couple of weeks, that time of the year agian is upon us for those wonderful Saturdays of watching young men play their hearts out for pride for school pride and tailgating till one's heart content...now all of us have our particular schools and divisons..

I want to see a lot of opinons on this one...who do u see going to the national title game? Being an Southern California fan I hope to see my beloved trojans go to the game maybe agianst Florida gators...

and one more thing just to spice things up...Do u think there should be a playoff system in college football?

Let the opinons begin...
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Rock Star Minion

Re: College Football

Quote Originally Posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
    Hello fellow micechatters..in only a couple of weeks, that time of the year agian is upon us for those wonderful Saturdays of watching young men play their hearts out for pride for school pride and tailgating till one's heart content...now all of us have our particular schools and divisons..

I want to see a lot of opinons on this one...who do u see going to the national title game? Being an Southern California fan I hope to see my beloved trojans go to the game maybe agianst Florida gators...

and one more thing just to spice things up...Do u think there should be a playoff system in college football?

Let the opinons begin...
    I like to watch, but I don't root a whole lot.
    I need to wait a year or two before Montana and his personal Offensive Tackle go to U-Dub before I can get too excited about rooting for a particular team without it hurting too much.
    tOSU v USC game will be white hot. Generally, I look for an intriguing match-up of top ten teams or a conference top-two.
    Llast game is too far away to make a credible prediction. The current top five have two teams that will have a chance after their matchup. the winners of those matchups will gain incredible poll and computer support. Combine/dampen that with conference strength (USC and tOSU, for example) and it comes down to the OU/UT winner versus the SEC champ, as long as the SEC champ does not have more losses than the tOSU/USC winner.
    The non-conference games determine the conference strength. With that in mind, the SEC teams playing tough non-conference teams have to win them, in order to validate their annual claim as "the best conference." Big 12 really needs to suck it in and play some decent teams.
    Critical games for the SEC:
    Ala-VaTech.
    Ark-Texas A&M
    UGa-ASU
    UGa-OkSU
    MSU-GaTech
    Tenn-UCLA
    And the three always-scheduled rival games UF-FSU, SC-Clem, Ga-GaTech

Notably absent: Ole Miss, who might go undefeated (according to some). It also needs these SEC non-conference wins above, so when it beats the teams that beat the teams, it will be more difficult to keep them out in case of a three-way tie. So, of the nine games, a 7-2 record should be expected from "the best conference."
    Just looking up the supposed debacle of Auburn going undefeated in 2004 and not making the BCS championship game: I see no impressive wins by any SEC team that year.

Playoff is logistically impossible. The revenue from these games would have be enormous to replace what is currently there, but 50000+ fans going to a neutral site on a week's notice is not possible, after spending so much on the previous week's game. Solution might be to have the champs of conferences meet each other in Mid-December, weekend before Christmas, say, to shake out the top of the rankings. So, SEC vs Big East, Big East vs Big 10, Pac10 vs Big 12. Geographically desirable neutral site. Then, have the polls figure it out. There could still be three undefeated teams, but at least some challenging team will have been played.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Playoff is logistically impossible. The revenue from these games would have be enormous to replace what is currently there, but 50000+ fans going to a neutral site on a week's notice is not possible, after spending so much on the previous week's game. Solution might be to have the champs of conferences meet each other in Mid-December, weekend before Christmas, say, to shake out the top of the rankings. So, SEC vs Big East, Big East vs Big 10, Pac10 vs Big 12. Geographically desirable neutral site. Then, have the polls figure it out. There could still be three undefeated teams, but at least some challenging team will have been played.
    It is quite possible. You seed the top 8 teams and have them play in the four major bowls, all on New Year's Day. The Saturday after next, you have the four winners play in a Final Four. The Saturday after that, you have a national championship. So last year, for example, we could have had Oklahoma/Penn State in the Sugar Bowl, Florida/Texas Tech in the Orange Bowl, Texas/Utah in the Fiesta Bowl and USC/Alabama in the Rose Bowl.

On January 10, you could have had Oklahoma/USC and Florida/Texas playing at two of those sites, with the winners playing on January 17 at another of those sites for the title.

It only extends the season slightly more than a week, and you get a much more bona fide champion, not to mention the fact that you get three more uber-highly rated TV games, and instead of one of the four bowl venues getting an extra game each year, all except one would get an extra game each year. It could rotate quite fairly: over a four year period, you get a year off, a semi, a semi, and a championship.

It would be absolutely awesome.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

The oregon ducks have a shot at winning the pac 10 we got a great team this year.halloween night autzen stadium usc is going down that night in eugene will be crazy. The fans will be going nuts oregon is ready for usc. Thats the biggest ticket of the year here in track town usa

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

trojan fans - what are your thoughts about starting Barkley over Corp? Do you think the injuries to the offensive line and now the wide receiver corps will hurt early, particularly at the Horseshoe.

I'm a lifelong UCLA fan, Six or seven wins, a bowl game, and signs of improvement especially on offense will be enough for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with Pete about the playoff idea. But, after all, as the University presidents remind us, we can't keep those student-athletes out of the all-important classroom any longer than we have to... (Sarcasm intended)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

On ESPN Radio this morning, Colin Cowherd said this could be a three-loss season for USC. He says that Trojan fans need to tone down their expectations.

Factors he noted...brutal schedule...true freshman starting quarterback...key injuries...and new coordinators on both sides of the football.

He also said that by November, Pete Carroll will, as usual, have things firing on all cylinders.

And that if Ohio State can't beat USC this year, they never will.

Thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    It is quite possible.
    It's possible, but it's not practical (meaning, money-making) for every party involved. Mainly, the Bowl Committees. Would they like to take a step back and be the qualifier bowls for semin-final and the final games? Probably not. Would they want to be part of the semi-final and final games? They prefer the way it is now: knowing which schools will be bringing teams and bands and cheerleaders for their pre-scheduled games.

Playoffs would also mean less scheduling of tough non-conference opponents (it's already pretty bad), meaning that some deserving-but-not-noticed at-large team will be passed over.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    On ESPN Radio this morning, Colin Cowherd said ....

Thoughts?
    I don't think Cowherd knows very much about anything, either. [aside] Do you watch, read, or listen to anyone who knows something? [/aside]

Hey, come back! READ ME!!!

Oh, I get it, now.

• Just waking up

Go UNM University Of New Mexico LOBOS!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Nothing like having a huge game on the very first day of the season.

Oregon plays at Boise State tonight..and Boise has to win this game to have any BCS hopes.

USC and Cal may be rooting for Oregon, because in an outsider like Boise is knocked out early, that may eventually open up a second BCS spot for the Pac-10.

An interesting matchup on the very first night of college pigskin.

• Circle of Ancients

Well, it seems the only constant every season is the overratedness of Notre Dame. SportsCenter was talking about how much improved they should be this year, yadda-yadda-yadda.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, it seems the only constant every season is the overratedness of Notre Dame. SportsCenter was talking about how much improved they should be this year, yadda-yadda-yadda.
    Sometime in mid-to-late October, after he gets his annual clock-cleaning by Pete Carroll, I expect Charlie Weis to be checking out his NFL assistant coaching prospects for 2010.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Sometime in mid-to-late October, after he gets his annual clock-cleaning by Pete Carroll, I expect Charlie Weis to be checking out his NFL assistant coaching prospects for 2010.
    Can't wait to see that
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Rock Star Minion

Nothing like having a huge game on the very first day of the season.

Oregon plays at Boise State tonight..and Boise has to win this game to have any BCS hopes.

USC and Cal may be rooting for Oregon, because in an outsider like Boise is knocked out early, that may eventually open up a second BCS spot for the Pac-10.

An interesting matchup on the very first night of college pigskin.
    The way polls and computers are these days, teams should root for their in-conference foes to win their out-of-conference games. Makes their own SoS (Strength of Schedule) better.

• Earning My Stripes

I've never seen a team implode like the Ducks did tonight. 6 1st downs, 152 yds total offense, and 1 3rd down conversion for the vaunted Ducks offense. A star running back possibly lost for the season for a clutz move. A new head coach thrown into crisis mode after one game. Yikes.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast