View Poll Results: Should Chicago Host the 2016 Olympics?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should.

13 65.00%
  • No, they shouldn't.

5 25.00%
  • I'm on the fence on this question.

1 5.00%
  • I have no interest in the Olympics.

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Should Chicago Host the 2016 Olympics?

I am sitting on the fence on this issue, so I thought that I would ask my fellow MiceChatters their opinion on this matter.

Should Chicago host the 2016 Olympics?

1. Yes, they should.
    2. No, they shouldn't.
    3. I'm on the fence, on this question.
    4. I have no interest in the Olympics.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Should Chicago Host the 2016 Olympics?

y e s

• Rock Star Minion

Of course. We'll make money, we'll build (or renovate) all venues on time (as opposed to South Africa's attempt to get World Cup done by next September).
    And people all over the world generally prefer to come here than most other countries.

Now, it should be in LA instead of Chicago, but nothing we can do about that now.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I like the idea of the games being in Chicago. I think it's a much more qualified city than Atlanta was. It will be interesting to see which of these cities comes away with the games. I wouldn't be surprised to see them not go to Chicago though with London hosting the 2012 games.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

It is not possible for me to have less interest in the Olympics. So if Chicago wants it, they can have it. :-)

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

So President Obama has decided that he is going to Copenhagen to speak on behalf of Chicago. Chicago newspapers, and radio programs are talking a lot about this issue. The Chicago media is speaking too much about the negative side of the Olympics, in the opinion of Mayor Daley.

I always enjoyed watching the Olympics back when they were aired "live". Now that they are brodcast, more after the fact, than during the fact, I don't enjoy them as much. I can just imagine the effect that Twitter will have on the games.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Circle of Ancients

I think Chicago is a great city and will do a great job hosting the olympics. If they get it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Now, it should be in LA instead of Chicago, but nothing we can do about that now.
    WHY????

Can Obama Make Chicago's 2016 Olympic Dreams Come True - TIME

Chicago's plans would turn Lake Michigan into a sprawling sports complex.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 09-29-2009 at 03:21 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

For Brazil, Olympic Candidacy Is About Role as Global Player...

On shimmering Copacabana beach, where Rio’s body-conscious residents play volleyball and soccer, giant screens are being readied for a live broadcast of the vote that will determine whether this city will make history by becoming the first South American city ever to host the Olympic Games.

On the streets and on the lips of radio and television broadcasters, Brazilians are abuzz with Olympics talk, and there is the distinct sense that this famous party city is ready to explode on Friday with a delirium rivaling its famed New Year’s and Carnaval celebrations if the vote for the 2016 Games goes Rio’s way.

Leaders here say winning the Olympics would be a transformational moment for Brazil, an affirmation of its rising global importance and a shot in the arm to the self-esteem of Cariocas, Rio’s residents, 85 percent of whom supported the Olympic bid in a recent poll by the International Olympic Committee.
    Obama heading to Copenhagen to fight for Chicago...

"The President decided over the weekend that he wanted be a part of the final push as we enter the home stretch," Jarrett told Politico.com

"He did not want to leave any stone unturned. He is very excited about joining the First Lady for both the final presentation and the question and answer session. The Olympic spirit is about giving it your very best down to finish line and not taking anything for granted. That's what his presence in Copenhagen will demonstrate."
    Obama Heading to Copenhagen for Olympic Pitch | NBC Chicago

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    WHY????
    LA could put it on a lot cheaper (meaning fewer tax dollars spent -- you see all that stuff being built; LA has probably 80% of stuff already built), and would probably make a ton more money, simply because people would rather go to LA than Chicago -- even Chicagoans. Hello, humidity??
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Brazil is already planning to screw up the 2014 World Cup.

• Circle of Ancients

LA doesn't need to host the olympics. The state is almost bankrupt as it is. The things we "do have" would need so much renovation. Infrastructure wise, LA's freeways and roads are not the most pleasing to be seen by a global audience. Have you not heard about the 100 year old pipes bursting throughout the city in recent weeks?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    LA doesn't need to host the olympics. The state is almost bankrupt as it is. The things we "do have" would need so much renovation. Infrastructure wise, LA's freeways and roads are not the most pleasing to be seen by a global audience. Have you not heard about the 100 year old pipes bursting throughout the city in recent weeks?
    Meh. I don't live in LA. The revenue from the Olympics would be worth it.
    Of course we don't NEED to host them. It's just the best place to have them, as evidenced by the two it already hosted. Last time we hosted them, lots of people took two weeks off from work, just to keep the freeways a little clearer.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Obama's Olympic pitch draws GOP complaint

Obama's Olympic pitch draws GOP complaint - Yahoo! News

However, Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and 2008 Republican presidential contender, said Obama was right to make an appearance.

"In the current environment, the presence of a head of state is important to get the Games," Romney, who headed the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, said, noting that former British Prime Minister Tony Blair had set a new standard by personally lobbying for his country's succesful 2012 Olympic bid.

Steele said it raised questions about Obama's priorities.

"Where is the focus?" Steele asked. "At a time of war, at a time of recession ... I think this trip is nice but not necessary for the president. The goal should be creating job opportunities not seven years from now, but job opportunities today."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs laughed when told of Steele's criticism of Obama's trip.

"Who's he rooting for?" Robert Gibbs said. "Is he hoping to hop a plane to Brazil and catch the Olympics in Rio? I don't know. Maybe it's Madrid."

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm a lot more interested in seeing those tourism dollars coming here to the USA than going elsewhere.
    Last edited by aashee; 09-30-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: past tense correction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast