View Poll Results: "Who Ya Got, or Who Ya Want" To Go All The Way?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Los Angeles Dodgers

14 35.00%
  • Colorado Rockies

0 0%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

0 0%
  • Philadelphia Phillies

1 2.50%
  • Los Angeles Angels

17 42.50%
  • Minnesota Twins

0 0%
  • New York Yankees

6 15.00%
  • Boston Red Sox

2 5.00%
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: It's Playoff Time! The 2009 Official Baseball Post-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You think this is possible? Frank and Jamie don't have two dimes to rub together, and they're splitting the one dime into two nickels.
    Manny can't be traded for any value, and cutting him means $20 million out the door with him.
    He'll be with the Dodgers next year. Then he's off the the AL. I'd drop him down the lineup, if that is equivalent to a butt-kicking that he might actually feel.
    Do you really want to drop Manny to 7th and have him sulk all year? The guy is a mental child that can hit the ball, he could very well be more of a drain on the team than a help based on his post-suspension production.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Do you really want to drop Manny to 7th and have him sulk all year? The guy is a mental child that can hit the ball, he could very well be more of a drain on the team than a help based on his post-suspension production.
    Next year is Manny's contract year. He'll up his play because he wants to have a guaranteed job.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Next year is Manny's contract year. He'll up his play because he wants to have a guaranteed job.
    Manny is going to keep believing he'll get paid no matter what. Signing him to a 2-year deal was a HUGE mistake. Too bad there wasn't a provision in there that they could drop him if he got suspended or something.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

You think? He all but gave up the final season with Cleveland and Boston. I think GM's are very clear with the attitude they are getting and know he can't drive in 120+ runs any more. He's not getting the big bucks he'll expect.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

As for my Bums, I don't know what happened. We had all the elements. We had decent bats and the best bullpen in the National League... What happened?
    Well, there is the fact that they play in arguably the weakest division in baseball, and got a big break against a slumping Cardinals team...if Holliday catches the ball, it's 1-1 headed back to St. Louis...and sorry, Zorro, the game 2 win was a gift.

You can't change the outcome of one play (Utley's error), and expect that plays following that will unfold the same way. They scored the tying run on a walk, and the winning run on an error. Gift.

They were in every game? Did anyone really think they had a realistic shot after they went down 6-2 last night? Even in game 1, the Dodgers were chasing them most of the way.

The mayor of Mannywood, the great savior of baseball in Los Angeles, had one chance to come in a real clutch situation through last night, and with the bases loaded and two outs, he hits a weak grounder to the pitcher.

Thanks for the memories, Manny.

As for the "failed Manny experiment", there's something I could say here, but I'll hold my tongue.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Well, there is the fact that they play in arguably the weakest division in baseball, and got a big break against a slumping Cardinals team...if Holliday catches the ball, it's 1-1 headed back to St. Louis...and sorry, Zorro, the game 2 win was a gift.

You can't change the outcome of one play (Utley's error), and expect that plays following that will unfold the same way. They scored the tying run on a walk, and the winning run on an error. Gift.

They were in every game? Did anyone really think they had a realistic shot after they went down 6-2 last night? Even in game 1, the Dodgers were chasing them most of the way.

The mayor of Mannywood, the great savior of baseball in Los Angeles, had one chance to come in a real clutch situation through last night, and with the bases loaded and two outs, he hits a weak grounder to the pitcher.

Thanks for the memories, Manny.

As for the "failed Manny experiment", there's something I could say here, but I'll hold my tongue.
    Go ahead Barry ... say it.

Barry, I knew after about the 4th inning that the Dodgers were done. Realistically, they were done after the first inning. They had a good start with Ethiers solo-shot, but then when they gave up a 3-run shot I knew it was over. I turned off the game after the 4th.

As for Manny ... let him go have his babies somewhere else.

Of course, you all know my feelings on him.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

What I will say (not what I was gonna say)...

In that sixth inning last night, for both personal and job reasons, I was really pulling for Manny to hit a grand slam, you know, just like the one on bobblehead night, which turned out to be his last really big hit of the season.

And it's not all on Manny. Casey Blake had a horrible series, so did Matt Kemp for the most part...they just didn't hit. Or pitch particularly well.

I'm obviously not giving up on the Angels yet, but I'm realistic. For now, I hope they win tonight just to keep the Yankees from celebrating on their field.

And I'd like for there to be some baseball to watch between now and next Wednesday, for goodness sake. Thanks again for the scheduling, FOX TV and baseball!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm obviously not giving up on the Angels yet, but I'm realistic. For now, I hope they win tonight just to keep the Yankees from celebrating on their field.

And I'd like for there to be some baseball to watch between now and next Wednesday, for goodness sake. Thanks again for the scheduling, FOX TV and baseball!
    To be realistic, here my good thoughts about the Angels:

In the biggest game, you want Lackey on the mound. After that you get Joe Saunders who pitched amazing in that long Saturday game.

If you can get there, you will force Sabathia to go again who I don't want to face but I'll take my chances with the momentum.

That being said I see the Yanks taking it tonight.

• Circle of Ancients

Wednesday? If the Angels lose there won't be any baseball to watch until April.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Wednesday? If the Angels lose there won't be any baseball to watch until April.
    I gotta watch the World Series. It's in my DNA . And if the Angels do lose, so is rooting for any team playing the Yankees.

• Circle of Ancients

I know Barry ... it's in my DNA too ... usually. Most times I can figure out a team to root for. Last year it was Tampa Bay.

But I can't root for the Phillies because they knocked the Dodgers out the last two years. Which leaves me having to root for the Yankees ... and I can't do that either. So I will have to choose to not watch.

• Rides against injustice

Well, there is the fact that they play in arguably the weakest division in baseball
    That would be the AL Central. The NL West had two 90 win teams plus a very good 3rd place team that was there til the very end.
    They were in every game?
    As i said earlier, the only games the Dodgers had no chance of winning were games 3 and Game 5. Game 1 was very winnable until Sherril gave up the 3 run HR to Ibanez, Game 4 was the Dodgers game until the Broxton meltdown and Game 2 couldve gone either way.
    And it's not all on Manny. Casey Blake had a horrible series, so did Matt Kemp for the most part...they just didn't hit. Or pitch particularly well.
    One of the biggest mistakes I think was Torre sticking with Blake for so long. Last night, Torre shouldve inserted Mark Loretta into the lineup to the very least shake things up a little. I also think Torre played Belliard way too much. Orlando Hudson shouldve started one of these games. Matt Kemp regressed into his old habits of swinging at everything and anything close to the plate.

All in all, the Dodgers just didnt do anything right in this series. Their two strengths going into the series was their dominant bullpen and their deep offense and both of those things failed them.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Rides against injustice

But I can't root for the Phillies because they knocked the Dodgers out the last two years. Which leaves me having to root for the Yankees ... and I can't do that either. So I will have to choose to not watch.
    Same dilema I'm having. I really hate to root for the Yankees, but I would root for them before I root for the Phillies
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

I TOTALLY agree about Belliard. Hudson was the emotional leader of this team from day one, and Belliard wasn't doing ANYTHING at the plate.

I would have had Hudson start at 2nd and Thome start at 1st last night and put Loney in at Center to be honest. With Blake, unfortunately you don't have a solid 3rd base substitute. Loretta is good, but isn't as good at 3rd as Blake is.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

I would have had Hudson start at 2nd and Thome start at 1st last night and put Loney in at Center to be honest.
    The problem with Thome is that with his foot injuries, all he could do is pinch-hit. As soon as he'd reach base, they had to have someone run for him.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast