Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1219202122

• Infinitized!

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Well, Vancouver 2010 is wrapping up today with the end of the Paralympics.

One of the biggest upsets was that Canada lost out on the Sledge Hockey medals. We lost our spot in the gold medal game to Japan (3-1), then we lost the bronze medal to Norway. Congrats to the US for winning gold in Sledge Hockey!

But... we did get gold in curling!

One of the biggest achievements of these Paralympics was Canadian skier Lauren Woolstencroft winning 5 gold medals! Congrats Lauren!
    Woolstencroft wins record five gold medals

The closing ceremony is being held in Whistler starting at 7:00 pm. It will be interesting to hear what John Furlong has to say, this being his last speech of these games.

If the ceremonies aren't being broadcast live where you are located, they will probably be here:
    www.paralympicsport.tv/

It was quite the experience hosting the Olympics and Paralympics and the seven year build-up to the games.

Lets now put the spotlight on London 2012!
    Last edited by Barbossa; 03-21-2010 at 12:07 PM.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Barbossa, a big thank you - to you - for helping bring a lot of extra added color and excitement to the Games for me, and for us. You did a really good job!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Barbossa, a big thank you - to you - for helping bring a lot of extra added color and excitement to the Games for me, and for us. You did a really good job!
    I didn't want to kill the thread just yet. Here's a couple of videos from Youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWQnpypNtM"]YouTube - Dancing Miga & Quatchi[/ame]
    I was almost expecting Smithers from The Simpsons to appear out of nowhere and dance along with them.

This was at one of the community celebrations during the Torch Relay, but I'm not sure which town it is from:

Watch the Inukshuk on the right at the beginning of the vid. lol
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CVvIPobXSk"]YouTube - Inukshuk Dance.m4v[/ame]

A few articles related to the wrap-up of the games:

VANOC plans to assist family of Georgian luge athlete killed at Vancouver Games

There's some talk floating around that VANOC may creat some sort of memorial at the sliding track at Blackcomb for Nodar. If anyone watched the closing ceremony for the Paralympics, John Furlong said his speech at the begining of the ceremony and then headed off to Georgia for a memorial for Nodar.

And a sign the games are truly over...
    CTV British Columbia - VANOC selling 2010 Games leftovers - CTV News

Sad the games are over, but our next opportunity to host the winter games may be Quebec City in 2022. If it does happen, I'm may try for the torch relay. It bugs me that I missed out this time around.

• Infinitized!

In case any Micechatters are in Vancouver on July 1, Canada Day, the cauldron will be re-lit for the day if you want to get photos of it:
    $10,000+ to spare? You too could ignite cauldron
    The Olympic flame will be lit again as part of this year's Canada Day celebrations.

That was the word Tuesday from Warren Buckley, president and CEO of the B.C. Pavilion Corp. (PavCo), the Crown corporation that manages the Olympic cauldron in Jack Poole Plaza at the Vancouver Convention Centre's west building.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1219202122