Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Very sad news coming out of Vancouver

AP source: Georgian Olympic luger dies after crash - 2010 Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

VANCOUVER, British Columbia(AP)—A men’s luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a crash during training, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation said. The death cast a shocking pall over the Vancouver Olympics hours before the opening ceremony.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili’s death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger’s family hadn’t been notified yet.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Just got home from work and saw the video clip on CTV's website. Brutal footage. My condolences to his family and his team.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

NBC blows....

Why are we getting it taped delayed on the west coast?
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• For You!

I agree - it should be live on the West coast!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am watching the Opening Ceremonies and enjoying them very much. I put a VHS tape into my video recorder, so if by chance I fell asleep I could watch it tomorrow. However, it has really held my attention. I love the colors. I am really looking forward to the competition starting.

It is really sad that the games had to start with the tragic death of an athlete. May the rest be all positive.

• Infinitized!

Except for the cauldron glitches, indoor, and outdoor due to the rain, and today's tragic death...

Overall it was a very beautiful opening. Great performances by Nelly Furtado and Bryan Adams (Nelly looked hot! )Excellent performance by Sarah McLachlan. Fantastic performance by K.D. Lang; she played one of my and my dad's favourite songs. And it was great to see her perform in these ceremonies as she did in Calgary in '88. With today's sad event, I thought Hallelujah was perfect. And then there was the mad fiddler Ashley MacIsaac. I thought that whole fiddler and tap dancing segment was different, but highly entertaining!

The First Nations welcoming with the welcoming poles was great. I loved it.

The snowboarder at the beginning, the projections, all fantastic. Donald Sutherland's narrations were great. They picked a good voice.

And the torch bearers. Great choices for all five. And in some small ways I have connections to three of them...
    Steve Nash - went to high school with a good friend of mine.
    Rick Hansen - a 3rd cousin of a fellow classmate of mine I went to school with since kindergarten.
    Nancy Greene - a hero of mine since I was little and in the Nancy Greene Ski League. I got to ski with Nancy at Sun Peaks Ski Resort and have a great chat with her. Very fine lady.

Great choices for the flag bearers!

And it was great that the flags were lowered to half mast in remembrance of Nodar and that there was a moment of silence for him. My thoughts and prayers are with the Georgian team and Nodar's family. Such a tragic loss at such a young age.

And my final thought:
    The best opening ceremonies for a Winter Olympics that I have seen in my lifetime. Well done Vancouver! Well done!

• Seasick

I thought it was fantastic overall. A shame about the cauldron technical glitch, but it happens I suppose.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

just finished watching the tape delay here on the west coast - I have to say that was an absolutely beautiful Opening Ceremonies. It was very unique, and I loved the sequence when the entire floor of the stadium looked like the ocean with the graphics of the orcas swimming through.
    Also thought it was very reverent to have the flags lowered to half mast and asked for a moment of silence for the Georgian athlete who tragically passed away. He was the same age as me and to imagine someone as young as myself losing their life so suddenly like that sort of hit home. I also thought it was very brave of the Georgian team to still participate in the parade of nations. I'm wishing the team and Nodar's family all the best during what must be a very difficult time.

but despite the tragedy, I am very much looking forward to watching the events, specifically speed skating, figure skating, and snowboarding. Having been an athlete myself for 10 years, its always inspiring to watch. Can't wait for things to get started tomorrow!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    NBC blows....

Why are we getting it taped delayed on the west coast?
    Same old, same old from NBC. I heard Dick Ebersol of NBC asked that question in an interview, and he said they've done extensive research and testing in five key West Coast markets, and overwhelmingly, he said, people have told them they'd rather see the prime-time show, which most of the country will get essentially live, at a time they can watch in the evening, and they don't care that much whether the events have already taken place or not.

Monday Night Football isn't delayed. Neither are the World Series or NBA Finals. But those are events meant to be watched by sports fans. The Olympics, especially in prime time, are designed to appeal to a much broader audience.

I'm in the minority - I would rather not have the additional tape delay for the West Coast. But I'm not the kind of viewer NBC is trying to attract anyway.

Thank goodness for MSNBC - tha's where I'll be watching hockey.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree to an extent that NBC should show it when people are home ... but the opening ceremonies didn't essentially start until 10pm (after the parade of nations). I don't know about most people's households, but that's when we were going to bed. And my wife and son had already crashed on the couch an hour before after a long week of work and school.

Not to even mention you could go online and find out everything about the ceremonies.

I watched some in bed, got up to the fiddlers, then crashed.

They should have cut out all the interview crap from 7:30 - 9:00 and started them at 8:00 for West Coast. Thank God for DVR so we can go through and watch the highlights from the ceremony this morning.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Same old, same old from NBC. I heard Dick Ebersol of NBC asked that question in an interview, and he said they've done extensive research and testing in five key West Coast markets, and overwhelmingly, he said, people have told them they'd rather see the prime-time show, which most of the country will get essentially live, at a time they can watch in the evening, and they don't care that much whether the events have already taken place or not.
    What a crock! Nearly everyone who has money to buy the junk their sponsors are trying to sell in their precious commercials also has TiVo or a DVR of some sort, and if we want to watch it in Prime Time, we can watch it in Prime Time. Once again, I'll be following most of the Olympics on ESPN, and watching almost none of it on TV. Anything tape-delayed isn't going to be on my TV unless ESPN's articles convince me that it's so awesome, I need to see it on the big screen later.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Infinitized!

The first gold of the games:
    From VANOC's website:
    Link
    Event: Normal Hill Ski Jumping
    Spoiler

Swiss ski-jumper Simon Ammann won the first gold medal of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games on Saturday, and the third of his career, when he clinched victory in the normal hill.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree to an extent that NBC should show it when people are home ... but the opening ceremonies didn't essentially start until 10pm (after the parade of nations). I don't know about most people's households, but that's when we were going to bed. And my wife and son had already crashed on the couch an hour before after a long week of work and school.

Not to even mention you could go online and find out everything about the ceremonies.

I watched some in bed, got up to the fiddlers, then crashed.

They should have cut out all the interview crap from 7:30 - 9:00 and started them at 8:00 for West Coast. Thank God for DVR so we can go through and watch the highlights from the ceremony this morning.
    Here's my proposal, just for the sake of argument since it's really a moot point.

If the prime time show starts "live" at 7:30pm in the East, (6:30 Central)...start it at 4:30pm on the West Coast, going through til 9Pm or whenever it ends...then turn around and and show the whole package over again form 9pM-1;30 AM (Pacific) or whatever. (As it is, NBC is re-re-running the prime time show in the overnight hours anyway).

Of course, that gets to one of the things that Ebersol didn't talk about...the affiliates would squawk about the loss of their lucrative local news hours in the late afternoon-early evening...

And I don't see why they can't run earlier-in-the-day events live on one of their cable networks instead of "sand-bagging" for the night show. Sowing a premium daytime event live on CNBC, for example, should have little impact on the audience at night, that already knows the outcome and essentially doesn't care.

Too bad my little pizza-pie dish doesn't get the CBC. Need one of the big honkers for that.

From LA Times media writer Diane Pucin last month:

NBC released its Winter Olympics schedule Thursday and there's an innocuous little line under each night of prime-time coverage -- 7:30 ET/PT.

That line makes a lot of us PT viewers/Olympic addicts want to throw stuff or figure out how to take a three-week road trip to ET or hang out at the border and pull in the Canadian feed to see sports the way they're meant to be seen:

Live.

It was reported earlier this week that NBC expects to lose $200 million with its Olympics coverage. An initial reaction: That's too bad. We who love the Olympics want them to be a big television event. But maybe you deserve to lose money if you feel as if live coverage isn't good for the western outposts.

Take, for example, Friday, Feb. 18. It is the first night of the ice dancing. Americans Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto are defending Olympic silver medalists. They're a television draw. The event will be televised from 8-11 p.m (live ET/CT).

The rest of us? For us the Olympics are treated as a "reality" show, same as "Dancing With the Stars" or "American Idol." We'll watch it three hours later than everyone else and like it.

And NBC says we like it.

Said Chris McCloskey, vice president of communications: "The West Coast has a love affair with the Olympics and consistently measures higher ratings than other regions of the United States. Our extensive research has clearly shown that West Coast viewers, more than any other region, wants to see the Olympics when they're available to watch, and that is when they are at home, which in almost all cases means prime time."
    Full article, here.

I shall flog this dead horse no more here, I promise. I have stated my position on the matter, time to move on.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 02-13-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Infinitized!

Watching the Luge event right now. I see the blocks and coverings they added to the end of the last curve just before the finish.

It's now a disadvantage to our guys here in Canada as the men are starting from the women's start. Our guys have been practicing from the men's start for the last two years.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I enjoyed the opening ceremonies last night, but hated the way NBC covered it. I love the opening ceremonies and always watch them. The breaks were so tight after each segment, it really took away from the emotion of the event. Usually they go to a wide shot, the announcer will come on and say, more after this, or whatever they say and there is a moment to breathe and take it what you just watched. Last night NBC seemed in a hurry to get to every commercial ... I guess trying to make up for the $200 million they are loosing on these games.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast