Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

• Infinitized!

Re: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics -Feb 12-Feb 28, 2010-

Yay! Canada got its first medal! A Silver. Congrats Jenn Heil!
    (Women's moguls)

• Circle of Ancients

My thoughts on the Luge thing:

They keep saying that the track had NOTHING to do with the accident, putting it down to an inexperienced Luger. If that's the case ... WHY are you moving the starting line???

I get the new wall ... it should have been there in the first place and this might not have happened. But IMO, the luge is BORING now. With most winter olympic sports, there is an inherent danger and "extremeism" involved. MUCH more than the Summer games. This is why we love them. Not to see people crash, not to see people die, to see people go FASTER, HIGHER. Sure ... we enjoy the crashes ... and then seeing people get up and walk away.

This is why NASCAR is so popular. And anybody who tells you different is lying to themselves.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    My thoughts on the Luge thing:

They keep saying that the track had NOTHING to do with the accident, putting it down to an inexperienced Luger. If that's the case ... WHY are you moving the starting line???
    IMO, the fact that they changed the start line, put boards and padding up and did something to the ice...shaving it...I can't remember...is they are admitting the track is dangerous. They don't have to say it, but their actions show it was. The top athletes were crashing on it.

Yes, I agree...it was boring to watch with all the changes, but it's better people aren't getting hurt or killed now.

• Circle of Ancients

Oh, I agree ... I don't want people to get hurt or killed ... don't get me wrong.

But don't come out and say that the track is fine and then make all these changes.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i'm just gonna switch gears a little....

but what about that speed skate race? (short track) was that amazing or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Crazy Furry

Alrighty then, now that I finally got my computer back from a 4-day absence due to a crash...I can weigh in on these Olympics. (More then other on some topics.)

NBC/Three hour delay- Yeah, being over here in Washington State and having a delay is just plain stupid.

Luge incident/Modifications- Being a fan of Luge, Skeleton and Bobsled, it's incredibly sad the event that happened. My hearts out for the family and friends, and while most shocking videos don't rattle me...I will admit the crash video made me cringe more so then any other video I've seen.

As for the modifications, it's a bummer. Whistler has a fantastic course, while it's not for the inexperienced it's a great course none the less. Though I will agree with a female athleate who's complaining the lower start point for the women makes it "A kids race".

Opening Cerimonies- I have to say it's a very nice move to have the parade of nations before the cultural segment so all the althleates can watch.

As for the cultural segment, I thought it was very well done. It was personal and had great use of projections and effects, heck even my Dad thought it was very nice...and this is coming from someone who didn't think much of Bejing's Opening Cerimonies!

If there was a downside to the cultural segment, it was the commentary. In all honesty...SHUT IT! Seriously, I don't watch the cultural portion of the show to hear a lot of pointless "Captain Obvious" commantary. It's something you just need to sit back and watch.

Speed Skating- Once again it proves to be unpredicable in so many ways, it's great to see Apolo get another medal as well as J.R. getting his first. Thank you very much Korean skater who got too greedy and didn't want the bronze, I'm sure your team mate and coach were happy about that.

Finally, I wonder if Canada putting over $110 million into the "Own the Podium" program was a good idea?
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by AE_Fan View Post
    Finally, I wonder if Canada putting over $110 million into the "Own the Podium" program was a good idea?
    Yup, I'm wondering about that too. Our tax dollars at work. Jenn didn't get her gold in moguls, and so far we only have two medals. And with the modifications to the start of the Luge track for the men, we are at a disadvantage now.

If anyone is in Canada, BC, or even at the games in Vancouver, two official albums have been released and are available at HMV. I just picked up both. Prices are as follows:
    $12.99 - Sounds of Vancouver 2010: Opening Ceremony Commemorative Album
    $14.99 - Canada's Hockey Anthems: Sounds of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games

There's also a 3rd album coming out on March 1 with music from the Closing Ceremony.

Just a note though, the Opening Ceremony album does not have K.D. Lang's version of Hallelujah or Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin sung by Garou.

*Edited* Just read on the sleeve of the Opening Ceremony album, the Garou song will be included on the Closing Ceremony album.
    Last edited by Barbossa; 02-14-2010 at 06:23 PM.

• Infinitized!

A milestone for Canada has finally happened:
    WE FINALLY GOT OUR FIRST OLYMPIC GOLD ON HOME SOIL!!!!!

It eluded us in Montreal and in Calgary and it finally happened tonight!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post

Congratulations, Barbossa - a big moment for you guys to be sure.

About the luge - Luge is like many olympic sports both winter and summer, that we (in general) "care" about for two weeks, every four years.

If this had happened at some event relatively few people care about, this young man would be just as tragically dead - but relatively few people around the world would even get the news, much less care.

Isn't there just a bit of hipocrisy in that?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Seasick

If anyone is in Canada, BC, or even at the games in Vancouver, two official albums have been released and are available at HMV. I just picked up both. Prices are as follows:
    $12.99 - Sounds of Vancouver 2010: Opening Ceremony Commemorative Album
    $14.99 - Canada's Hockey Anthems: Sounds of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games

There's also a 3rd album coming out on March 1 with music from the Closing Ceremony.

Just a note though, the Opening Ceremony album does not have K.D. Lang's version of Hallelujah or Un peu plus haut, un peu plus loin sung by Garou.

*Edited* Just read on the sleeve of the Opening Ceremony album, the Garou song will be included on the Closing Ceremony album.
    I'm loving the opening ceremonies album. The K.D. Lang performance is available separately on iTunes, as is the "I Believe" official theme for the games, which I also quite like.

Was downtown today, it was a zoo, but a lot of fun. Went to Sochi House, where the 2014 games are being previewed, will post some photos later on.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm loving the opening ceremonies album. The K.D. Lang performance is available separately on iTunes, as is the "I Believe" official theme for the games, which I also quite like.

Was downtown today, it was a zoo, but a lot of fun. Went to Sochi House, where the 2014 games are being previewed, will post some photos later on.
    Hallelujah is also on K.D.'s album "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" -it's a really good album.

Heading down to Vancouver next Sunday. Can't wait to get a taste of the games and to do some pin trading!

I've been playing the Bang the Drum song a bunch of times now. Love it! I hope they could play it on the radio stations each time we win a medal.

• Seasick

Speaking of pin trading, it played heavily in tonights Simpsons go to the Olympics in Vancouver episode.

Millhoose, hee hee.

I just noticed, I bought the pin you're using as your avatar.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I just noticed, I bought the pin you're using as your avatar.
    Yup I got it too. One for tradingand one for my collection.

I just had a listen to the Canada's Hockey Anthems album. Fun album! Great selection of songs. Gonna have to put it on my MP3 player along with the Opening Ceremony album.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

wow! i thought i was excited, but i guess a canadian would be more excited about this

my aunt was wondering why i was cheering for canada, i told her usa wasn't gonna win anyways

just thought it was funny: my bf isn't very into sports, but i finally got him to watch some moguls and figure skating today! i'm really hoping to get him to watch as much of the olympics as i possibly can these next two weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• For You!

Is anyone else tired of watching 2 minutes of an event, and then 5 minutes of commercials and 10 minutes of commentary?? Also, I keep thinking that there has to be more going on, but instead they keep showing the mens short track and the women's moguls over and over again?

All I can say is thank heavens for the DVR.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast