Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Baseball's "Hot Stove League" 2009-2010 Edition - Baseball Talk Lives On Here!

I should look this up, but how are gold gloves determined? I thought there was a pretty straightforward fielding percentage component to it. But I also heard that there's an offense part to it as well.

I should know these things. And today is the "Silver Slugger" thing, whatever that is.

Too many awards???

The one I'm most interested in, is manager of the year. I think Tracy's a strong favorite in the NL, and I really want to see Sciosia get it in the AL. All respect to Girardi (great job with all those egos) "Gardy" (always a great job with the Twins) and even Ron Washington.

Again, with the tragedy the team had to deal with, and how he kept the team focused, this was his best job IMHO.

And don't forget awards such as that one are voted on after the regular season.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Baseball's "Hot Stove League" 2009-2010 Edition - Baseball Talk Lives On Here!

The Phillies are "Seriously" looking at Chone Figgins to replace PEdro Feliz. My question is where does he fit there. Their 1-2 in the line up in Jimmy Rollins and Sahne Victorino. I wouldn't put Chone ahead of those 2 in the lineup. The question is do you bat the pitcher 8th and have the speediest 9-1-2 players ever in the line up? Not sure if Figgy would be a good fit for them.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Baseball's a business. I know that very well.

But, Dodgers - Frank and Jamie - nice. Real nice.

--Dodgers Put Low Price On Decades Of Experience

After spending the last couple of weeks choking on the McCourt divorce numbers -- $6,000 a year for birthday parties? -- Dodgers fans can finally relax.

Your favorite team has figured out how to pay for it all.

They're taking it out of George Genovese.

"I was like, 'What did I do?' " said Genovese, 87, a crooked grin rising from beneath his thick glasses and shock of gray hair.

Genovese, perhaps baseball's most notable living amateur scout, was sitting in the aging easy chair in his tiny North Hollywood home recently when he received a solemn phone call from one of his Dodgers bosses.

He was thereby informed that his annual part-time salary was being slashed.

From $18,000 to $8,000 -- a 56% pay cut.

Genovese nearly fell over his new cane.

"I knew with the divorce there might be trouble over there, but I never thought it would be like this," he said.

Genovese was told his salary was being whacked because of "budget cuts," and, sure, why not?

Ten grand, and Jamie now doesn't have to worry about skinny jeans.

Ten grand, and now Frank can go the extra mile on that Gulfstream.

"I love the Dodgers, I'll always love the Dodgers, but I was like, 'C'mon,' " Genovese said.
    latimes.com
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    The Phillies are "Seriously" looking at Chone Figgins to replace PEdro Feliz. My question is where does he fit there. Their 1-2 in the line up in Jimmy Rollins and Sahne Victorino. I wouldn't put Chone ahead of those 2 in the lineup. The question is do you bat the pitcher 8th and have the speediest 9-1-2 players ever in the line up? Not sure if Figgy would be a good fit for them.
    Although he didn't show it this past post-season, Figgins is probably more of an offensive, aggressive baserunning threat. (Admittedly I haven't checked the comparative stats.)

La Russa bats the pitcher 8th in StL a lot...Torre did it a few times last year.
    I really want Chone to stay.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

New reports are saying the Tigers are seriously listening to offers for OF Curtis Granderson.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    New reports are saying the Tigers are seriously listening to offers for OF Curtis Granderson.
    According to ESPN, the Yankees and Angels are the most serious suitors early on.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    According to ESPN, the Yankees and Angels are the most serious suitors early on.
    That would certainly mean Bye-bye vlad.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    That would certainly mean Bye-bye vlad.
    I don't think they have any intention of re-signing him. And I don't blame them...at least I think he should be far down the priority list.

I would think that Lackey and Figgins would be at the top of that list, but if they make a move for Halladay and sign him to an extended deal, that might change.

One report I read said that Lackey made up his mind to leave, after he was pulled in that 7th inning against the Yankees. I hope that's not accurate.

• Senior Minion

I don't think they have any intention of re-signing him. And I don't blame them...at least I think he should be far down the priority list.
    To be honest, and I'm admittedly not an Angels fan, but I was sort of surprised they kept him this past season. After his performance in '08, I thought pretty sure they would have tried to get some value for him if they could.

In Red Sox news this week, Varitek called in his option for another year. Which, if you ask me, is just sad. I really hate to see some players who've had a good career hold on one or two seasons too long--it really damages their long term reputation. I'm sure we can think of a number of sports figures in that category.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I should know these things. And today is the "Silver Slugger" thing, whatever that is.
    Which Ichiro won a Silver Slugger award this year.

Oh, and Ken Griffey Jr. is on for one more season.
    Griffey returning for another season | Mariners.com: News

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    To be honest, and I'm admittedly not an Angels fan, but I was sort of surprised they kept him this past season. After his performance in '08, I thought pretty sure they would have tried to get some value for him if they could.
    The wisecracker side of me says they wanted to keep him long enough to get at least one clutch hit out of him in the postseason. They actually got at least a couple. But then, his baserunning reared its ugly head in the Yankee series.

Having said that, he brought the Arte Moreno-era Angels credibility when they signed him, and he gave the club some pretty good years. But you're right, Wotan. It's beyond time to say goodbye.

• Ice melts fast in AZ

But according to ESPN the Yankees, Angels and Red Sox are the most serious suitors for everybody.
    I am ashamed of what I've done for a Klondike Bar.

• Goofy

lol.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    But according to ESPN the Yankees, Angels and Red Sox are the most serious suitors for everybody.
    True enough it seems

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Not everybody. Milton Bradley comes to mind.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast