Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Baseball's "Hot Stove League" 2009-2010 Edition - Baseball Talk Lives On Here!

It's always sad to see a baseball season finally coming to an end, especially the way the 2009 season did.

So it's time to start up the old "hot stove", and talk about the happenings of the off-season, which is actually underway already.

Starting off in SoCal, we have a soap opera with the Dodgers, with the team's owner firing the CEO (his wife, they are getting a divorce).

The Angels have seven players approaching free agency, including the ace of the pitching staff, John Lackey, along with Vlad Guerrero and Chone Figgins to name just a few.

What about your team? Just because it's five months until next season doesn't mean we can't talk a good game here about the grand old game.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Shablagoo!

Re: Baseball's "Hot Stove League" 2009-2010 Edition - Baseball Talk Lives On Here!

Well it was obviously a much better season for the Mariners this year. It is going to be interresting to see is Ken Griffey Jr. comes back again next season. Supposedly that annoucement will be coming soon. We added some great talent like Franklin Gutierrez and Russell Branyan. The two Wilsons were also great additions and I look forward to seeing what they do next year.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Re: Baseball's "Hot Stove League" 2009-2010 Edition - Baseball Talk Lives On Here!

I'm so glad the offseason is here. Well it should have been here earlier if we could start the WS on time...

Well, the biggest news so far in this young offseason, is the hiring of Mark McGwire as Cardinals' hitting coach. Honestly, I don't understand this, but he is LaRussa's bud, so...
    Last edited by royaldisneyfan; 11-05-2009 at 02:14 AM.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

The biggest talk in Chicago is about the new owners of the Chicago Cubs. The Ricketts family is full of Cubs fans who happen to have a whole lot of money. They claim that they can bring a World Series victory to the the team. Only time will tell if they can make good on that claim.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Someone at work yesterday was telling me that Derek Jeter might go to the Angels or Red Sox after the end of next season.

Derek Jeter as an Angel? I do like him but what about Aybar? He's not bad and only getting better. But the idea of Jeter in an Angels uniform. Hmm...

• Circle of Ancients

Dodgers need to do three things:

1) Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Pitching. At least ... starting pitching. They need an ace. Kershaw will one day be that ace, but not yet. You need a solid veteran who can come in and mentor him. The Dodgers don't have that. Not sure what Pitchers are out there this year but they need to actively pursue a few of them, and quickly.
    2) Don't let the drama with the ownership change the day-to-day operations on and off the field. The McCourts, if they care about the team at all will not put the Dodgers in the middle of their legal battles.
    3) Dump Manny, Dump Manny, Dump Manny, Dump Manny, Dump Manny. The "TEAM" was MUCH better when he was serving his suspension. The rest of the guys (Ethier, Blake, Loney, etc) found out that they can play and they DID play. Pierre was a great replacement and it was sad to see him and Hudson reduced to role players in the 2nd half of the season when they were such a big part of why they were so good the 1st half. I'm not saying Pierre is going to be an everyday left fielder, so I'd like them to pursue a different one.

As for the Angels:

1) Re-sign Lackey. He's the heart and soul of that pitching staff, has been for a LONG time. Can't imagine him being in a different uniform. Even if it was to the Dodgers.
    2) I'm still iffy on if they should re-sign Vlad. He had a great postseason (for a change) but his prime has come and gone as an everyday player IMO. He needs to go to an AL team, let's just hope it's not the Yankees, Red Sox or any of the teams in the AL West.
    3) Re-Sign Figgins. He's a tremendous talent and the leader of the infield.
    4) Not sure who the rest of the Free Agents are, but I believe that Abreu is one of them. Re-signing him should be a priority, maybe even over Vlad.
    5) Need some solid mid-inning relievers
    6) If Vlad is not re-signed, need a clean-up DH.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

[
    QUOTE=sir clinksalot;1055647270]Dodgers need to do three things:

1) Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, Pitching. At least ... starting pitching. They need an ace. Kershaw will one day be that ace, but not yet. You need a solid veteran who can come in and mentor him. The Dodgers don't have that. Not sure what Pitchers are out there this year but they need to actively pursue a few of them, and quickly.
    2) Don't let the drama with the ownership change the day-to-day operations on and off the field. The McCourts, if they care about the team at all will not put the Dodgers in the middle of their legal battles.
    3) Dump Manny, Dump Manny, Dump Manny, Dump Manny, Dump Manny. The "TEAM" was MUCH better when he was serving his suspension. The rest of the guys (Ethier, Blake, Loney, etc) found out that they can play and they DID play. Pierre was a great replacement and it was sad to see him and Hudson reduced to role players in the 2nd half of the season when they were such a big part of why they were so good the 1st half. I'm not saying Pierre is going to be an everyday left fielder, so I'd like them to pursue a different one.

I agree with everything..except with the manny thing..I think he brings a lot of hitting power to the team..but I also agree with you on how they reduce teh role of pierre and hudson..hopefully Torre might put utalize them better next season
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Senior Minion

There will be a lot of talk in Boston about what to do about Jason Bay, but in many ways, that's a smoke screen for a number of other issues.

The team needs to decide what to do about David Ortiz; Mike Lowell; and finding a solid, experienced #3 pitcher. It's clear that Varitek is gone, but Martinez can't throw people out either--if they move him to first, and Youkilis back to third, they then need a top rate catcher. I think they make Lowell the DH, and shake Big Papi's hand and wish him luck.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

For the Angels - already what I think is some good news.

One down, six to go.

The Angels Thursday agreed to a two-year deal with a club option for 2012 with veteran outfielder Bobby Abreu. Per club policy, no financial terms will be announced. Today's announcement was made by General Manager Tony Reagins.
    mlb.com

I agree that he was a key acquisition. Referring back to Gregg's post on Vlad - I would not shed many tears if he did not come back. Not that he didn't do a fine job for the team over six years. But he can't field anymore, and his head-to-toe hitting style just isn't quite what it used to be. And he didn't have a great post-season, just an okay one. Which, sadly, was an upgrade over his previous post-seasons.

You might want to remember that after winning it all in 2002, the Angels had an under-.500 season in '03, the year Arte Moreno bought the team.

People were wondering if '02 was just a fluke.

By surprising the baseball world and emerging with the free-agent prize of that time, Moreno if nothing else set the standard that he wanted the team and organization to live up to. So Guerrero will always have a place in Angels history.

But not in their future, in my opinion.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Beat me to it Barry. Ok Angels. One down, at least two more to go.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Someone at work yesterday was telling me that Derek Jeter might go to the Angels or Red Sox after the end of next season.

Derek Jeter as an Angel? I do like him but what about Aybar? He's not bad and only getting better. But the idea of Jeter in an Angels uniform. Hmm...
    I'd take a player like Jeter in a heartbeat.

But unless Steinbrenner's sons are really trying to screw him over, why would he ever want to leave the situation he's got in New York?

Bloomberg only won another term as mayor because Jeter wasn't running, for God's sake.

I don't know where your friend got his info, but I can't picture Jeter anywhere but in those pinstripes, with the tape of Bob Shepard (sp?)
    announcing his home atbats.

By the way, we heard Paul Olden doing the Yankee Stadium PA during the postseason.

Paul Olden once did play by play for the L.A. Rams in the early 90's. He also did weekend sports at a local all-news station more recently.

But can anyone tell me the real reason Paul Olden will always have a place in Southern California sports and sports radio lore?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Jeter will never leave NY, I'm pretty confident with that prediction.

My heart isn't into next year just yet. I'm still licking my painful playoff wounds to step back into the ring agan.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Jeter will never leave NY, I'm pretty confident with that prediction.

My heart isn't into next year just yet. I'm still licking my painful playoff wounds to step back into the ring agan.
    I know what you mean, Chad. I just had to start this thread as soon as possible to get the bad taste of the season, and Series, just ended out of my mouth a bit.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I usually don't think much about baseball at this time of the year. For some, it's a year around thing. Not for me. There's baseball, football, hockey, and maybe a little basketball along the way.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Guess baseball's in my blood.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yR0NJYbEhI"][/ame]
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 11-05-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast