Angels' announcer Rory Markas has passed away

Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Angels' announcer Rory Markas has passed away

This stings. I feel so bad about it, I hope the family is able to cope with this loss.

• Can see my car from here

I was stunned to hear this sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his immediate family, as well as the Angels organization and his friends throughout the Major League Baseball community.

I'll miss his trademark "just another Halo victory!"

Rest in Peace Rory, and thanks for the memories.
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Now he's an Angel I'm sure. He will be missed.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

I was sad when I heard about this yesterday. The Angels have been dealing with a tough season last year with Adenhart and a tough offseason, which now will get tougher. Those 4 little words "Just another Angels victory" will never be said the same. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family and the entire Angels club house.

R.I.P. Rory Markas
    Last edited by disneyDragon923; 01-06-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter for live updates & pictures from the park:

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Somehow, I didn't see this thread yesterday. I didn't get the news of Rory's passing, until about 8pm last night.

I wouldn't say that he and I were close friends, but I did know him somewhere beyond "acquaintance" level.

He worked in the CBS building in Hollywood as both a sports anchor for Channel 2, and sometimes weekend sports guy on KNX 1070. I originally got hired at KNX to take weekend shifts that he couldn't cover any more when he got the Angels job, on KLAC at the time.

He helped me learn the ropes of the sometimes daunting KNX newsroom.

And I got to know him even better, when I'd go down to the Big A to "cover" games from time to time after that.

Sometimes he and radio partner Terry Smith and I would chat down on the field during batting practice. And we'd sometimes eat together before the game in the press box dining room. After one such occasion, I took their picture...Rory's on the left.

About 11 am...30 minutes before the pregame shows, 90 minutes before the first pitch...Rory, looking relaxed as prep goes on in the broadcast booth.

Here's the view of the field from the Angels broadcast booth, while I am at it...

In any case, the news of Rory's death has hit a lot of people really hard. Most of the people I worked with at KNX were on my Facebook page last night, talking about him.

From everyone...kind, giving, professional, hard-working, loved his job...those kinds of things.

Of course, Rory was doing USC basketball again this season as well.

I called the Angels PR department today to convey condolences, and they told me that plans regarding a public memorial are still pending. They'd like to have something at the stadium...but there's no baseball diamond there now, just a lot of dirt for motocross...so, we'll see.

But this loss...really hurts. In heaven, it's "just another Halo victory" though.

Thanks, Rory Markas.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Barry, thanks for sharing that about Rory, and posting the pictures. I can't say I knew Rory, I saw him a few times in passing during the 4 years or so I worked at Fox 11 in Los Angeles and we exchanged hellos. I not an Angels fan, so I didn't follow the games, but watching him on air, he seemed like a really nice guy.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Keith Olbermann used to be a sportscaster both at KTLA and KCBS-2 in Los Angeles.

He shared this touching tribute, on his "Countdown" show the other night.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFGq8SFstAQ]YouTube - Keith Olbermann Eulogizes Rory Markas[/ame]
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Being a huge Angels fan I listened to Rory everyday on my way to work. He was amazing at what he did and made everything sound like you were there. A great man and a great broadcaster.

Rest in Peace