Thread: Daytona 500

• Banned User

Angry Daytona 500

This is the worst Daytona 500 I have ever seen. 2 red flags for a pothole in the track. this is something that the crews should have been working on the entire weekend, the entire offseason... it comes down to racetime and they have potholes on the track? Bad showing by Nascar, very bad show. I expect alot better from them, it just really upsets me that the crews could not handle the situation before hand. I hope some people get nailed for this, I hope it really comes down on the crew who upkeeps on the track. It's not Nacsars fault, it's the crew but Nascar should have been on them about it and they obviously didn't care. I seriously hope someone loses their job over this

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Daytona 500

Are you saying the pothole was known prior to the race?

Come on... potholes appear because the pavement and supporting groundwork break down. The pothole was new, not a previous hole. The second flag was when the repair didn't hold up to race conditions... not suprising.

The track is already scheduled for a repaving in 2012... and you can have an entire debate on if people like new surfaces or not.

I agree it's bad for the race - but I wouldn't be calling out people as negligent/responsible because real things like potholes happen.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Grim Grinning

That was a frustrating race to watch. The first pothole didn't really upset me, it was the second one that irritated me.

• For You!

The track problem was pretty frustrating. But the last three laps were pretty awesome!!! Junior's charge was amazing.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• far, far away from DL

I was glad Jamie McMurray won. It made me cry just to see him so happy. Junior's charge was amazing. I think if he had a few more laps he would have caught Jamie. Is it just me or is anyone else tired of DW talking about Danica?

• For You!

I'm tired of everybody talking about Danica Patrick.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Pilot EdForceOne

That's right... less talk... more action Danica... Pillow talk is overrated... tehehe

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Banned User

i missed the end cause i had work, i saw the highlights and it was good to see mcmurray to win. jrs charge was pretty cool, if it would have gone a few more laps, jr. would have won. i was bummed about smokes run

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Gee, how many different races they had during "SpeedWeek" at Dayton prior to the Pothole appearing..... No OTHER race except the "final" on Sunday was affected. so how can you blame the track... Though now that it happened, maybe they should move up the re-pavement project.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Pilot EdForceOne

lets not forget the cold weather FL has had this year... including 40+ temperature swings in a single day. The weather this winter is a huge factor and as everyone in areas that have this type of weather knows... the freeze/thaw cycle + wear = potholes.

They had more extreme weather this year - so pavement anomalies isn't too shocking.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Circle of Ancients

Well, the track hasn't been re-paved since 1972 ... so yeah, I'm thinking they probably could have predicted a problem.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, the track hasn't been re-paved since 1972 ... so yeah, I'm thinking they probably could have predicted a problem.
    A truth, that can be misconstrued. Sure the track hasn't been rebuilt since then - but that isn't to say it hasn't been maintained or the entire surface itself is 37 years old.

Racing CHEWS through road surfaces - they must constantly be tended to. This type of stuff they are ready for. It's why they can even attempt a paving repair on minutes notice even during the race.

The problem here was the issue appeared during a race rather then between races. An anomaly that can likely be attested to the extreme winter the east coast (Including Florida) is having this year... and I'm sure not helped by the flooding they had last spring (entire portions of the track were completely submerged)

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Happy Memories

Exactly. It's impossible to predict something like that, and I thought they handled it well when it did arise. My only disappointment is that it meant missing the final 39 laps or so for me. I recorded the race to watch on my day off, but due to the delays it cut off during the second red flag. I did see the final 3 laps online though, and that ending was fantastic.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    Exactly. It's impossible to predict something like that, and I thought they handled it well when it did arise. My only disappointment is that it meant missing the final 39 laps or so for me. I recorded the race to watch on my day off, but due to the delays it cut off during the second red flag. I did see the final 3 laps online though, and that ending was fantastic.
    Basically the same for me, tried to watch it on Monday, and got to around 16 laps (and added 2 hours to the DVR setting) and ran out of time. But thanks to Nascar.com, got to see the final laps... loved Dale, Jr.s driving in that final lap!

Wish I could have seen the full race, including both G/W/C... but at least I got to see most of the second.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com