• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Believing In Miracles - 30 Years Later!!!

It's hard to believe that it's been 30 years .... February 22, 1980...

Did you know...this is the only Sports Illustrated cover, not to have an accompanying headline?

(Okay, I didn't know that either til I heard it on ESPN the other day. Also, that Jamie "Klinger" Farr was at that game - his tickets, though, were in the USSR section!)

As for me...as I posted in the Olympic thread...30 years ago today, I recall hearing the news on the radio, driving from where I was living in Whittier down the 5 freeway in late afternoon, to work a Friday private party night at a certain theme park we all know, when we heard that the unimaginable had happened...

A group of U.S. amateurs had beaten the by-any-definition professional Soviet Red Army hockey team in the semi-finals at Lake Placid. That got them into the gold medal game with Finland, which was won two days later.

No live TV then, either. It was shown at 11:30PM on the West Coast. A group of New Orleans Main Kitchen employees gathered around a TV set at about 1:30AM in a closed employees cafeteria to happily watch the final moments of a game we all knew the outcome to.

I didn't hear Al Michaels classic "Do You Believe In Miracles" on ABC til later...we were all too busy cheering at the time...quite a memory.

If you remember that time, what are your memories? Or if you've merely read and heard about it or seen the Disney movie or whatever, your thoughts are welcome too!

Since this event had such a profound effect on the nation beyond the world of sport, I thought this forum would be appropriate.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Believing In Miracles - 30 Years Later!!!

Yes, I remember the call. I'm not sure if I am remembering it live, or on tape, but I do remember it. However, I associate that call with the United States team winning Gold, when in fact it only put them in the game for Gold.

Mostly, I remember the feeling that it gave us all, at the time, deep down inside. We were proud to be Americans. Proud to have beat the big bad Russians, and then finally beat the team from Finland to capture the Gold medal.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Yes, I remember the call. I'm not sure if I am remembering it live, or on tape, but I do remember it. However, I associate that call with the United States team winning Gold, when in fact it only put them in the game for Gold.
    It's my memory that the game was not shown live, anywhere in the U.S. - everyone saw that game on tape delay (I could be wrong, of course, but I believe that to be true).
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I just asked my husband about this, and he said that we watched the Russia game knowing the outcome. I trust his memory because he has a photographic one. My boys were just kids back in 1980. My oldest was almost 13, and my youngest only 9.

I do remember the Finland game, and I do remember seeing that and not knowing what would happen. I believe that game was on a Sunday. I have recollections of all the excitement the next day, as I took my boys to school.

I see this has been moved the sports forum. I suppose the average age of MiceChatters has something to do with that.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I watched that game not knowing the outcome. I must have been up really late if it was delayed that long.
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I just asked my husband about this, and he said that we watched the Russia game knowing the outcome. I trust his memory because he has a photographic one. My boys were just kids back in 1980. My oldest was almost 13, and my youngest only 9.

I do remember the Finland game, and I do remember seeing that and not knowing what would happen. I believe that game was on a Sunday. I have recollections of all the excitement the next day, as I took my boys to school.

I see this has been moved the sports forum. I suppose the average age of MiceChatters has something to do with that.
    Agreed. I originally placed it in the Main Lounge because I felt this game had so much impact, going way beyond sports. Anybody who even saw the movie, made just a few years ago, could see that.

But what can we do, except to accept the judgment of the moderators.

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

I watched the game not knowing the outcome. I remember screaming my head off as we survived the onslaught by the professional CCCP team. Seeing those jerseys again in the movie "Miracle" still gives me a cold shudder.

USA USA USA USA !!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

This was actually the first sporting event I ever remember watching (as I was only 5). Not a Super Bowl, not a World Series, but this. I think it started my love affair with Hockey then.

• "Always On The Move..."

Last night American Dad did an episode that was centered on this. Absolutely hysterical!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I watched that game not knowing the outcome. I must have been up really late if it was delayed that long.
    My Dad let me stay up, saying that I MUST watch this game (He Knew)...

Early on I could tell by his expressions USA was going to win, because no screw up or USSR score seemed to upset him. He was like a kid in a candy shop.

Watching it with him is one of my fondest memories of him.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I was also on the 5 freeway! I was heading north, in Orange County, and was on the bridge where the 5 passed over the 55. I had KNX radio on when they announced that we'd won. I was so overcome I started beeping my horn. And so did a lot of other folks. Obviously, we were all listening to KNX. If I live to be 100 I'll never forget how it felt at that moment.