• Banned User

Blog Entries

Post Thank you, Canada for hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics!

Phil Sheridan: A job well done, Canada

There comes a time to tip your toque, and our good friends in Canada deserve our respect for hosting, and excelling in, a memorable Winter Olympics.

They got off to a tragic start, endured a few bumpy moments. But in the end, these Games were a smashing success for Vancouver, for Canada, and for the thousands of athletes who competed - from the top of the podium to DNF.
    Phil Sheridan: A job well done, Canada | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/02/2010

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Thank you, Canada for hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics!

Hear, hear. You gotta love a well-done Olympics.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

Blog Entries

An Olympic hangover can last for years, if not generations. Just ask some other host cities and countries.

Beijing's half-billion-dollar Birds Nest, the spaceship-like stadium at the centre of the 2008 Olympics, has yet to find a real use. It's now serving as a winter amusement park. They might make it into a mall.

Athens' 2004 Games left a crippling debt, the tipping point that pushed Greece into its current financial crisis. Its billion-dollar venues are hardly used.

In 2000, Sydney held one of the best Olympics ever. But when the party was over, they found there was little use for the stadium and that there was a billion-dollar-plus debt, too.

Let's not forget Montreal, host of the 1976 Games that left the city in a debt that took a quarter of a century to pay down.

They still don't know how to make money out of the Olympic Stadium -- the Big Owe.

A common thread in all the examples above is these were cities that held the Summer Olympics, a truly mega event that often spins its way into financial disaster.

For a while Vancouver's business leaders considered hosting a Summer Games, too, in conjunction with Seattle.

Luckily, some perspective prevailed. We bid for the other Olympics, the Winter Games, which are smaller and carry much less financial risk.

In fact, it's starting to look like the 2010 Games just might offer up a new model for holding a Games, proving a Winter Olympics can be an economic catalyst.
    Article continues at:
    The party's over, but there won't be a hangover

•   
    • Seasick

And Vancouver used existing facilities for the most part. We didn't have to build a new stadium or hockey rink. I can't imagine the venues build for curling and speed skating won't be used in the future.

Hopefully the overall bill won't be too bad...
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Our advantages:

BC Place: built for Expo 86 and is the home to the BC Lions CFL team and the soon to the Whitecaps. Something that couldn't be done in time for the games was the replacement of the roof. This will commence after the Paralympics are over. The stadium is getting a new retractable roof. Hmmm, maybe then we could put in a bid for the summer games?

GM Place (Canada Hockey Place): home to the Canucks and venue for concerts.

Pacific Coliseum: former home of the Canucks. contiunues to be used for all sorts of events and concerts.

Richmond Oval: will be converted to a multi sport facility. It's supposed to have an indoor running track, basketball courts, etc.

Curling Venue: Also will be converted to a multi sport facility and community centre

Cypress Mountain: Was there before the games, will be there after the games, provided there is snow.

Whistler Sliding Centre: will remain as an alternative to Calgary's track, although it was the scene of a tragic start to the games.

Whistler Olympic Park: Ski Jumps were supposed to be temporary at first, but organizers realized it's a great locale. The jumps will remain in place and may experience a possible expansion for more training facilities. The nordic trails will remain and be an all season rec area. Some of the trails are paved for in-line skating, etc.

Whistler ski facilities: The downhill run was used for the world cup.
    Will remain after the games for future events.

The good thing was, we didn't have to build all our major venues from scratch.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Even though they COULD host a summer games, I don't think the IOC will choose Vancouver for another games anytime soon. They usually try to space these things out, so no continent gets the lion's share of the games. That's why they went to Brazil - I would expect them to go back to Asia next time, maybe even South Africa before coming to North America again.

• Infinitized!

Even though they COULD host a summer games, I don't think the IOC will choose Vancouver for another games anytime soon. They usually try to space these things out, so no continent gets the lion's share of the games. That's why they went to Brazil - I would expect them to go back to Asia next time, maybe even South Africa before coming to North America again.
    Vancouver could host the summer games, however, there are many more facilities you need to build for the summer games, and there's not much room in Vancouver right now. As it stands, Toronto is our summer games candidate. Montreal could host again, now that the stadium is finally paid for . I think Quebec City is our next winter games candidate. Calgary was interested in hosting again too.
    Last edited by Barbossa; 03-10-2010 at 07:58 PM.

• The Study of Wumbo

Yeah... that's part of the reason why New York 2012 lost to London, (and their crappy logo.) But if the Olympics were in New York, MiceChat could totally trust me to get those reports up.

What are we going to do about 2014? I don't know if we have any MCers who call Sochi home...
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    What are we going to do about 2014? I don't know if we have any MCers who call Sochi home...
    If I can find a better job and can save up, I'm thinking about going to Sochi.