• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Magic And Bird: "A Courtship of Rivals" - Outstanding!

If you weren't aware of it already, here's a heads-up about an outstanding new HBO documentary.

It's maybe the best one they've done yet, and that's saying something.

Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals is simply fantastic. It's a look back at how Larry Bird and Magic Johnson came up through the collegiate ranks, probably saved the NBA in the 80's, and have gone on to become great friends in the present day.

I have seen a lot of great pro basketball players both on TV and in person in over 40 years as a fan. Magic Johnson is still the best player I've ever seen, and I saw so many of his great battles when the Lakers played the Celtics. I so well remember watching Magic's Michigan State team beat Bird's Indiana State in the 1979 NCAA Championship.

If you haven't seen this documentary yet, I strongly advise it if you are any kind of sports fan.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Magic And Bird: "A Courtship of Rivals" - Outstanding!

It's on the DVR. Waiting for an available night.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It's on the DVR. Waiting for an available night.
    Whenever I am looking at cutting costs, the 15 a month or so I spend for HBO comes up. And then something like this comes along, and I'm reminded why it is more than worth it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Just set it to record, it's on at 4:00 today.

• Hukuna Matata!

This will be the greatest sports programming ever!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Whenever I am looking at cutting costs, the 15 a month or so I spend for HBO comes up. And then something like this comes along, and I'm reminded why it is more than worth it.
    "The Pacific" looks pretty good, too.

Just finished up another whirlwind season of "Big Love."
    One story ends, while another begins....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    "The Pacific" looks pretty good, too.

Just finished up another whirlwind season of "Big Love."
    One story ends, while another begins....
    Off topic...that was quite a finish for Big Love. Not thrilled with their new opening credits music this year, but I do have a bias there.

I am watching Band of Brothers for the first time in preparation for the Pacific.

Back to the topic...One minor complaint...they use the audio of the Celtics beloved, gravel-voiced Johnny Most, and of CBS's Dick Stockton from the games in the 80's.

Had they ever heard of a man named Chick Hearn, one of the greatest, if not the greatest, broadcaster in the history of the league? For one example, his call of Magic's "baby hook" in game 4 of the 87 Finals at Boston was tremendous.

• Circle of Ancients

Just got done watching it ... it was tremendous. Brought back so much stuff for me. Magic vs. Bird/Lakers vs. Celtics was SO MUCH a part of my growing up and loving sports. I didn't want it to end!!!

The respect that these two had for each other on and off the court is amazing to this day. Although it's still hard for me to not hate Larry Bird (the player) I always respected the guy.

In the words of Bryant Gumble "People say Jordan saved the NBA ... Bull **** ... it was Magic and Larry".

For once Bryant, I couldn't agree more.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Just got done watching it ... it was tremendous. Brought back so much stuff for me. Magic vs. Bird/Lakers vs. Celtics was SO MUCH a part of my growing up and loving sports. I didn't want it to end!!!

The respect that these two had for each other on and off the court is amazing to this day. Although it's still hard for me to not hate Larry Bird (the player) I always respected the guy.

In the words of Bryant Gumble "People say Jordan saved the NBA ... Bull **** ... it was Magic and Larry".

Glad to hear that you shared my point of view on the show, Gregg.

Quick story. Back in that day I was a huge Lakers fan, and of course disliked the Celtics (that dislike going back to the mid-60's, and all the times they beat us in the finals).

In the summer of 1987 my first wife and I flew back to Indianapolis to visit one of her relatives. One day, I took a side trip to Chicago to take in a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

That same day, My wife and her aunt drove to Terre Haute to visit another relative. Larry Bird owned a restaurant there, so they stopped in for lunch...and guess who happened to be in that day. She went up to him and told him that her husband was a huuuge Celtics fan.

Somewhere in my pile of stuff...I have an autographed menu from Larry Bird.

Yep, that first wife had a real sense of humor.

PS...If you have HBO and haven't seen this yet, do not despair...in HBO's grand tradition, it'll repeat about two dozen more times...at least if you have a cable system or satellite that gets all the different HBO's...And I still wish they'd put Chick Hearn in there.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-13-2010 at 10:24 AM.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Me, too. I just finally got to see it from the start to the finish. It was awesome. It confirmed for me what I always thought when I was a diehard Laker fan (not that I'm not anymore) in the 1980s - Larry Bird was an a-hole. It's nice to see him own to it, and I almost admire him for it, hearing him admit it and then say that it's just his nature, and in his heart, he's not really just a bad guy after all.

Oh, and Jerry West had an interesting take this morning on Cowherd. He would agree that Jordan didn't save the NBA, but he thinks Magic and Bird didn't either. The NBA was going to do fine whether with them or someone else. Jerry is the wisest of all NBA sages, so although I would have tended to agree with Bryant Gumble, I have to respect the Logo's wisdom.
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Circle of Ancients

I generally agree with the Logo as well, but I'm trying to think of a rivalry among two teams or two players in the 80's that would have done what Magic and Bird did.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

For anyone that still hasn't seen this, it is still scheduled for a few more showings.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Saw it again the other night. Outstanding.