• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Voice of the Tigers, Ernie Harwell passes away at age 92

I mentioned this in the baseball thread, but I thought it deserved it's own. The voice of the Detroit Tigers, and one of the true pure voices of baseball, Ernie Harwell died today at his Michigan home after a year-long battle with cancer. He was 92.

MLB Network just did a nice tribute to Mr. Harwell, and it was tough for me to hold back the tears. I didn't really know Ernie Harwell the person, but by all accounts he was as great of man as he was broadcaster.

R.I.P. Ernie Harwell
    Last edited by royaldisneyfan; 05-04-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Senior Minion

Re: Voice of the Tigers, Ernie Harwell passes away at age 92

There's an intimacy to listening to a baseball game on the radio that the best announcers, such as Ernie Harwell, Vin Scully, Mel Allen, Ned Martin (who?) and others have brought to the game, and it's something that you do not find in any other sport. Thanks, Ernie, for all the great afternoons!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Voice of the Tigers, Ernie Harwell passes away at age 92

I grew up listening to Ernie on the radio (and my parents before me). He had that voice that was instantly recognizable, like Harry Caray and Mel Allen. And his catchphrases for different plays: "Looooong gone!" for a home run, "Two for the price of one!" for a double-play and "He stood there like a house by the side of the road and just watched it go by!" for a called 3rd strike, are instantly memorable and truly timeless.

I had the honor of meeting Ernie a few times in the 90's. You will never meet a nicer man. He was very sweet, very humble... he truly loved baseball and truly loved the fans. He will really be missed.

I read on the Tigers website that Ernie's boy will lay in repose at Comerica Park (I started typing Tiger Stadium... yeah I'll always be attached to the old girl even though she's gone too) starting tomorrow at 7:00am until the last person leaves for the fans to come pay their respects. They said they wouldn't be surprised if it's an all-night vigil (at least). A little too creepy/morbid for my likes though. I'll remember him in my own way (was thinking about maybe taking some flowers to place in his parking spot at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland this weekend though, but the Flying Tigers are in my neck of the woods this weekend so...).